Car still turns over even when car is started

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2019, 03:41 AM
Running On Empty

The voltage regulator is generally attached to the firewall. I'm not positive if yours is attached to the firewall or a fender mount. In any case, you're looking for a box similar to the image below. I pulled both images from the internet to help demonstrate what you're looking for. The exact shape of your regulator plug and your regulator may differ from these images but should be similar.

Voltage Regulator (Generic)

Voltage Regulator Plug (Generic)
Old May 20th, 2019, 03:55 AM
Running On Empty

Old May 20th, 2019, 10:23 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I have not seen this mentioned yet. GROUNDS! Clean ALL the grounds. While this may not be the root cause of your problem weak grounds will stress the starter and alternator.
Im describing all of smaller ground (black) ("primary") wires which are found throughout the car, under the hood, the dash and in the trunk etc. Same goes for the large "secondary" wires, AKA battery cables. The negative battery cable needs to be attached to the head with a clean surface. I follow all freshly cleaned connections with ignition sealer(clear spray paint meant for ignition systems) or battery terminal protectant spray. Your battery posts need the same cleaning & sealing. Same for the connections at the starter.
Get a wiring diagram for the whole car and go through them.

Not sure on your car, but, the starter could/should have that ground support bracket which bolts to the starter body then to the engine block just above. Fusick, Year One etc sell this part. This bracket not only adds support for the starter but it is a critical ground path as well. Clean and tight here.

Bad grounds are the main cause of most electrical problems in a car 10 years or older and should receive regular service.
The battery cables should be replaced if they are original or replaced with a general purpose parts store replacements. Proper gage cable is important.

Try to avoid will-fit parts at the big box retail stores. Always try to source good used or reproduction parts that are made for a 65 Dynamic 88. Many other GM cars may have the same parts...Other model Olds, Buick, Pontiac, Caddy etc.
The desert south west will have many parts.

Is your radiator repairable? Find a good radiator shop which specializes in "Re-Coring" radiators. They will use the original tanks and solder in a new core. Don't forget to flush the block and heater core too. Do the heater core separately through its hoses with a low-pressure garden hose. Flush before you replace the radiator. Blow out all raw water. Never use tap water to mix coolant only distilled. I like the 50/50 premixed coolant.

Look here in the classified section for parts. You can post want ads as well. Several guys here make a decent living parting Oldsmobile.
Steve
Old June 23rd, 2019, 12:38 PM

More electrical issues - won't start.

Figured id post here instead of making a new thread but yesterday my 65 dynamic 88 was running just fine but ehen i changed the fuses now it wont start? I got it to start again last night but when i went to turn it back on no luck
Old June 23rd, 2019, 03:43 PM
Administrator

I moved your post from the resurrected thread to your original thread as it has all the history of your electrical issues. What did you do to get it to start last night? There are no fuses in the starter circuit, double check the areas you fiddled with and around the neutral safety switch.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 04:40 PM

I have no clue honestly just got frustrated and was putting changing fuses one at a time and it started, and also our started earlier after i posted that
Old June 30th, 2019, 01:11 PM

Fuse keeps blowing

Was sitting at a red light and car was running just fine as soon as the light turned green qnd i went to turn the car completely lost power but i still had lights blinkers etc after about 30 minutes of sitting under this bridge trying to figure out whats going on i found that the main fuse at the bottom had blew so i got a ride to autozone and got more then my car started right upand i went home later that night i drive to get gas and same thing died when i went to leave a light changed the fuse again but this time it blew within 20 seconds
I went thru 2 boxes of fuses to get my car home 👎 and even then i still didnt make it i ran out of fuses the street away from my house so i had to pull it home with my wifes car
Any info would be helpful on what i could do to fix this issue
I was thinking maybe a new voltage regulator because mine is missing the black cover and the top looks a little burnt
Old June 30th, 2019, 01:52 PM
Administrator

It would help to know which fuse is blowing and what amperage. They are labeled in the fuse box or take a picture and use a pointer.
Old June 30th, 2019, 02:13 PM

They are 20 amp fuses the bottom fuse is the main one blowing causing my car not to start until the fuse is changed but the one right above it has blown like twice

Also there's a pic of my voltage regulator i figured i needed a new one anyways because it dont have a cover on it
Old June 30th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Running On Empty

Were you working on anything or futzing w/ anything just prior to this event - working on anything associated with the electrical system?
Old June 30th, 2019, 02:45 PM

Didn't start having this problem until i changed the fuses out from the original ones so my lights would work
Old June 30th, 2019, 02:52 PM
Running On Empty

I think you have not yet resolved your previous issue from your other thread regarding the car still turns over. This thread should probably be moved into the other thread since you have more than a simple blown fuse issue and I suspect it's related to your previous issues regarding the wiring.
Old June 30th, 2019, 02:56 PM

Im not sure how to move posts

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I think you have not yet resolved your previous issue from your other thread regarding the car still turns over. This thread should probably be moved into the other thread since you have more than a simple blown fuse issue and I suspect it's related to your previous issues regarding the wiring.
Old June 30th, 2019, 03:03 PM
Running On Empty

That's OK. You can't move the thread. I'm sure the - (other) Eric is following and if he believes this thread's issue is related to your previous unresolved issue (which I believe it most likely is), Eric will move this thread into your other thread.
Where are you on the alternator wiring? Did you do any re-wiring? Did you upgrade to a generator. There are several unanswered questions on your other thread including why your car mysteriously was able to start in which you had no idea.
I think you should plan on doing some serious digging into the wiring diagrams Eric provided for you. Plenty of folks here to help you out, but the fact you were having to start this car without an ignition switch and instead by a screwdriver (or whatever) leads anyone to suspect this isn't going to be a fast fix. Did you clean up those starter wires? That starter looks like it was run through a grease pit. LOL
Old June 30th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Administrator

I merged your post to your original thread. Your car has serious wiring issues. First, the 2 fuses in question should not stop the engine from running unless you had the distributor hooked to the IGN spade terminal. 2nd, your showing a picture of an external voltage regulator when your alternator pictures above show an internal. My advice is to maybe post a parts wanted ad for an original wiring harness and replace it. From the pictures of your starter wiring to some of the other wiring issues, a new harness is probably warranted.
Old July 1st, 2019, 03:46 AM
Running On Empty

Detric -

(1) Whether you do or you do not replace the wiring harness, the first order of business for you is to wrap your head around the wires. This might be the most difficult part for you to jump into if you haven't used wiring diagrams before but while this might seem an enormous challenge, it is not that difficult and it is absolutely essential you get your wiring correct. Eric provided you w/ the wiring diagram. The top diagram is the left-hand page, the bottom diagram is the right-hand page. Get on a printer, print both pages of the wiring diagram and merge the two wiring diagrams so you can clearly identify the colors for each wire - the two pages match up at the seams.
(2) For now, focus strictly on the Ignition Switch Connector of the diagram.
(3) Grab a permanent ink marker & a roll of painters tape.
(4) Find each of the wires. Mark and label every wire in the Ignition Switch Connector. The wiring diagrams are not wrong. Convince yourself you must locate each wire and label each wire so you have a solid beginning to this exercise (absolutely critical). You cannot move forward without understanding where these wires are located and what they do.

You may need to remove some dash panels for easier access. Although you're pretty young you may get by with laying on your back on the floorboard and seat working above your head or whatever you need to do get gain access. So again, your very first order of business is to locate, mark and label each of the wires of the Ignition Switch Connector. If the wires are bundled, wrapped together or whatever that's fine. Unwrap the wires or whatever and remove wrapping so you can clearly identify each wire and label them. A previous owner may have re-wrapped wires, put in different wires, or whatever. That's fine and well it doesn't matter at this point. You can always re-wrap wires, splice them, etc.

You may find the ignition switch he gave you isn't the correct one for the car - who knows at this point. The previous owner may have cut wrong wires - so what, it's yours now. He gave you an ignition switch why? Because he couldn't figure out how to wire it? Whatever, none of that matters at this point. You have already heard you have an internal voltage regulator on your car, but you also have an external voltage regulator - so something is seriously wrong there. DO NOT focus on the situation with the alternator and voltage regulator at this point. One step at a time. You aren't going to solve this issue until you identify, locate and mark the wires first. It's a labyrinth of work - be meticulous and be patient - you aren't going to solve your issue in a couple hours.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 1st, 2019 at 03:48 AM.