Can This Carb be Saved?

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2021, 12:08 PM

Can This Carb be Saved?

I found a used Quadrajet core for my application, but the seller says 'for parts only'. Everything seems to be there, but with some slight rust and corrosion around the base plate. Would this still make a suitable core for rebuilding? How bad is bad when it come to carb cores?

Thanks,
Old June 11th, 2021, 12:18 PM

Hard to tell without a picture. If you soak it in carburetor cleaner long enough to get the linkage moving it would probably work great after a rebuild.
Old June 17th, 2021, 10:43 AM

I wouldn't soak it in carb cleaner. I asked Cliff Ruggles about that very topic and he said absolutely not. He just uses brake clean and brass brushes to get the worst of it off before the parts go into an ultrasonic cleaner. I used a diluted mixture of Simple Green HD and warm water to scrub mine down. Came out pretty good. If it's rusted an coroded to the point that the linkage won't even move, I would think some targeted PB blaster, and a few moderate heat cycles should break it free, then maybe a good soak in ATF, followed by a rinse with brake clean.

The question would be, is it the correct carb for your car? Is it actually worth seeking out a numbers matching carb?
Or are you looking for a carb for a performance build? That will determine whether or not it's actually worth it.

Actually, I use this equation
[(((purchase price / actual value) x (my estimate of the cost in parts + (2.5 x(100 x my estimated man hours))) Then take the square root of that and add it to my expected return in joy and increased satisfaction with the car after it's done) from that total I subtract my wife's anger and the days without sex squared].
Old June 17th, 2021, 06:12 PM

is the "for parts only" a cover your a$$ description on eBay - or did you actually speak to the carb owner