Camshaft engine 425

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2010, 05:35 AM

Camshaft engine 425

boys
I need your help to understand what may have been the problem or the cause of this, one of the camshaft lobe wear and lifter also the other 15 are ok.
I did brak than 20 minutes at 2000 rpm and put the grease with zinc for the assembly of the camshaft that Melling gave me in the box
and after 5 hours of this total is the result

Old January 24th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Is the camshaft OK??? It could be just a faulty lifter that wasn't hardened properly. For it to fail that quickly it would have to be something drastic. Maybe some of the other guys have other ideas.
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Is the camshaft OK??? It could be just a faulty lifter that wasn't hardened properly. For it to fail that quickly it would have to be something drastic. Maybe some of the other guys have other ideas.
the camshaft is damaged only at the point of the lifter damaged

thanks
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:10 AM
Texas Jim

It being only 1 of the 16, you'd think that the 1 lobe or more likely that the 1 lifter would have been the problem, like a mfg. flaw, as "66" said. If you contact the cam/lifter company, they'll ask you if you f/ sure lubed that lifter/lobe, ask about the condition of the block in that area, about any dirt of any kind that could have been in there, etc. What brand was the cam and lifters? I'd contact the mfg. right away.

Possibly w/ a good enlargeable picture of the lobe, lifter, and block area, someone could give you a "real professional opinion" of what the real problem might have been. I don't mean some blow-hard, but maybe someone good who does machine work, like that guy in Buffalo, New York, or even Dick Miller or Joe Mondello's shop. Not that it's such a mystery, but getting info from someone who may know "right off the bat" what happened/occured here. Good luck.

Last edited by Texas Jim; January 24th, 2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Texas Jim
It being only 1 of the 16, you'd think that the 1 lobe or more likely that the 1 lifter would have been the problem, like a mfg. flaw, as "66" said. If you contact the cam/lifter company, they'll ask you if you f/ sure lubed that lifter/lobe, ask about the condition of the block in that area, about any dirt of any kind that could have been in there, etc. What brand was the cam and lifters? I'd contact the mfg. right away.

Possibly w/ a good enlargeable picture of the lobe, lifter, and block area, someone could give you a "real professional opinion" of what the real problem might have been. I don't mean some blow-hard, but maybe someone good who does machine work, like that guy in Buffalo, New York, or even Dick Miller or Joe Mondello's shop. Not that it's such a mystery, but getting info from someone who may know "right off the bat" what happened/occured here. Good luck.
Melling is the company of camshaft and the damage was only on one lobe and a lifter.
I think a flaw lifter and were not the company but do not remember what was Melling
thanks for help
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:42 AM

This is the lobe ruined tomorrow unmount the timing cover and put a picture clearer

Old January 25th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Texas Jim

Do I see a heavy wear pattern on the lobe to the left of the one w/ the bad lifter? Do any of the other lobes on the cam show a heavy wear pattern? If that cam shows an excess wear pattern from the little bit of time you have on that engine, I'd call the maker of the cam. It shouldn't show a heck of alot from the little time you ran that engine.
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:22 AM

Did you prime the oiling system before startup? Did it fire right up or did you have to crank it for awhile? I know you used lube, but what kind of oil did you use? How was the lifter preload on that valve? Was it the same as the rest? Did the lifter fit in the bore with the ability to rotate? No burrs or anything in the lifter bore?

BTW this is not uncommon. Did a SBC a year or so ago with one bad lobe and lifter.

Last edited by cutlassefi; January 26th, 2010 at 05:26 AM.
Old January 26th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Did you prime the oiling system before startup? Did it fire right up or did you have to crank it for awhile? I know you used lube, but what kind of oil did you use? How was the lifter preload on that valve? Was it the same as the rest? Did the lifter fit in the bore with the ability to rotate? No burrs or anything in the lifter bore?

BTW this is not uncommon. Did a SBC a year or so ago with one bad lobe and lifter.

Cutlassefi, Do you not see a heavy pattern on the cam lobe to the left of the one that went bad? What was the reason f/ the bad lobe/lifter on the SBC you did? Just a mfg. flaw?
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:23 AM

All the lobes I see have heavy wear for a new cam. Looks like you need to replace the cam and all the lifters.
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:59 AM

I agree with the above comment that it looks like a lot of wear on the other lobs as well. Something is amiss here. Was the engine pre-oiled with a drill and a shaft before starting?. Or is this the signs of a bad cam from the factory the made it.
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi

I used a semi-synthetic oil with additive zinc (zddp)
I checked the lifter ran well in the seats and went around with anti-friction oil.
I removed the burrs after grinding and have washed for many hours to assemble everything and I have done before mounting oil into the cylinders by hand.
I checked the lengths of the valves several times and turn on the engine before I rotated out of gas, then 20 minutes at 2000 rpm.
I do not know what may have happened, maybe a lack of material?
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
All the lobes I see have heavy wear for a new cam. Looks like you need to replace the cam and all the lifters.

we provide after purchase'm a new kit, you have some advice for good company
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Cutlassefi, Do you not see a heavy pattern on the cam lobe to the left of the one that went bad? What was the reason f/ the bad lobe/lifter on the SBC you did? Just a mfg. flaw?

I also think a defect in the lifter is the first time that happens to me
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
I agree with the above comment that it looks like a lot of wear on the other lobs as well. Something is amiss here. Was the engine pre-oiled with a drill and a shaft before starting?. Or is this the signs of a bad cam from the factory the made it.

I washed very well and then oiled
maybe wrong?
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM

lobes presented just as the imperfections around the burrs, but it was new out of the box like that.
I have a photo when I closed the box, after trying
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Texas Jim

The cam even has a wear pattern where the bearing rides. Did you spin the oil pump and get oil to the top end prior to turning the key and starting it, like was asked acouple replies up?

Did you say that the cam looked like that when you took it out of the box?
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:05 AM

The cam even has a wear pattern where the bearing rides. Did you spin the oil pump and get oil to the top end prior to turning the key and starting it, like was asked acouple replies up?

Did you say that the cam looked like that when you took it out of the box?
perhaps it is the flash of the cannon.
look here I've done better.
oil pressure was perfect

Old February 13th, 2010, 03:05 PM

the problem is resolved.
The camshaft is controlled by a correction and the material was handled at the surface and had a failure.
I bought a new camshaft with lifters Clevite new, then I have done the run for 20 minutes at 2000 rpm with oil and additive ZDDP, now is the perfect ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUWAwg84XzA
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:22 PM

Congrats, glad you got it resolved. Sounds great.
Old February 13th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Registered Abuser

I am happy you resolved your problem. It must have been very frustrating.
Old February 14th, 2010, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Red Delta
I am happy you resolved your problem. It must have been very frustrating.

hi Red Delta.
yes it was very frustrating, and so much time wasted for nothing.
now everything is ok and I'm very happy