Breather/PCV Setup

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2020, 09:11 PM

Breather/PCV Setup

Started smelling burning oil and noticed the passenger side breather is leaking oil onto the header. Got me thinking if I even have correct setup as I really just have breathers on both valve covers and no PCV. Moreover, upon inspection the breather has a little white milky residue inside. Same on underside of oil fill cap. Not using any coolant that I can see. Drained oil and it appears fine with no discoloration or residue. Seems like there are differing opinions on breathers, PCVs, and what is required. Looking for suggestions on a simple setup and whether the leak/blowby is a potential issue. Separately should I be concerned about the white milky residue.
455 running e85. Torker manifold, Lunati custom cam with full roller assembly.

Old April 21st, 2020, 05:55 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by teamwieland
...I really just have breathers on both valve covers and no PCV.
...the breather has a little white milky residue inside. Same on underside of oil fill cap. ...should I be concerned about the white milky residue.
Seems like there are differing opinions on breathers, PCVs, and what is required.
Looking for suggestions on a simple setup and whether the leak/blowby is a potential issue.
Every engine has blowby. One of the products of combustion is water and when this blows by the rings, it settles in the oil. When the oil gets hot, the water evaporates and either is drawn from the engine or it condenses on cooler surfaces like the oil filler cap, breather, under the intake manifold, and inside the valve cover surface.

At first, this condensation appears as water drops or a mixture of oil and water (milky-looking). Eventually the condensation areas become coated with a solid sludge.

As far as differing opinions on PCVs and breathers, the car companies have always used some way to draw harmful moisture vapor from the engine. At first it was the road draft tube which used car speed to draw air through the engine. That was a passive solution and didn't do a very good job.

The PCV was introduced in the mid-1960s as a positive way of drawing moisture and oil vapor out. The idea was to have breathers in the valve covers that would let air into the engine and the PCV valve would draw that air (and water vapor and oil vapor) out of the engine.

If you don't have a PCV, the vapors constantly exit the engine through the breathers, carrying oil and water vapor with them. As you found, that makes a mess. If you want to stop the mess on a road-driven car, you should have a PCV.

Racers may not use PCVs but their engine hours are much lower and they overhaul often enough that sludge is not a problem for them. And you will see that racers put absorbent material over the breathers to soak up the oil vapors to keep them off the engine and the track.
Old April 21st, 2020, 12:54 PM

Very nice description VC455. Sounds like I need to replace one side with a PCV. Does it matter which side gets the PCV vs breather?
Old April 21st, 2020, 01:38 PM
Gary

Standard-performance Oldsmobile engines usually had the PCV on the driver-side cover, but it doesn't matter which side you use. The breather was on the opposite side and it was plumbed into the air cleaner so any oil vapor at full throttle could be contained.

High-performance Olds engines sometimes had breathers on each valve cover and an intake-mounted PCV. They did this because there was potentially more blow-by on the high performance engines and the dual breathers limited any pressure buildup inside the engine.
Old April 21st, 2020, 02:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by VC455
Standard-performance Oldsmobile engines usually had the PCV on the driver-side cover,
Actually, that only applies to 1969-up motors. 1966-68 cars used a passenger side PCV on the A-body cars.

Old April 21st, 2020, 08:56 PM

Mine is a ‘68 but doubt that matters as I have a 455. Not sure what is classified as a high performance motor, but I’m Not trying to be stock under the hood. My motor was set up as a drag motor but is now detuned to be a street motor. it had a a breather on the driver side with a hose running down towards the firewall and the passenger side was missing. Can I just do the same with the passenger side or are there benefits to use a PCV? Car is a driver but spends a lot of time at 6000 rpm.
Old April 22nd, 2020, 05:37 AM
Gary

...are there benefits to use a PCV? Car is a driver but spends a lot of time at 6000 rpm.
Benefits of a PCV on a street car are
  • cooler surfaces like the oil filler cap, breather, under the intake manifold, and inside the valve cover surface will not become coated with a solid sludge
  • you will avoid corrosion of internal engine parts (water in the oil forms an acid)
Old April 22nd, 2020, 05:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Not sure what is classified as a high performance motor,
He's talking about the 1969 H/O motors and the 1970-72 W-30 and 4spd motors that ran the PCV valve to the intake manifold instead of the valve cover.

Old April 22nd, 2020, 07:49 AM

This is a bit pricey, but it works and is tuned to each particular engine.

http://mewagner.com/?p=444
Old April 22nd, 2020, 08:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ajr2820
This is a bit pricey, but it works and is tuned to each particular engine.

http://mewagner.com/?p=444
Is that really necessary? Seems like the answer to the question no one asked.
Old April 22nd, 2020, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Is that really necessary? Seems like the answer to the question no one asked.

From the OP: Seems like there are differing opinions on breathers, PCVs, and what is required. Looking for suggestions on a simple setup and whether the leak/blowby is a potential issue.

Seems like that is exactly what he asked.
Old April 22nd, 2020, 08:30 AM

Unless this is your daily driver, moisture builds up internally from periodic driving or short trips. A proper PCV system helps evacuate the blow-by, moisture, and acidic gasses. As long as the crankcase is generally run under a SMALL vacuum, this problem will cease to exist (assuming there is not excessive blow-by due to something like a ring failure). A proper PCV valve will help keep your crankcase under vacuum.
Old April 22nd, 2020, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
Benefits of a PCV on a street car are
  • cooler surfaces like the oil filler cap, breather, under the intake manifold, and inside the valve cover surface will not become coated with a solid sludge
  • you will avoid corrosion of internal engine parts (water in the oil forms an acid)
In addition to the above, the PCV will prevent exhaust blowby gases from getting into the passenger compartment and gagging the occupants. I had my PCV disconnected for a brief period of time and the gases coming out the valve cover breathers was noxious.