Blocking Off Exhaust Ports At Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2011, 05:30 AM

Blocking Off Exhaust Ports At Intake Manifold

Has anyone done this to their 394? Can this cause hesitation problems? I have done this when converting my 394 to a 4 barrel and have had hesitation issues that I have been blaming on the carb rebuild. Could I be looking in the wrong place? I blocked them off to keep the paint from burning off the manifold.
Thanks
Pat
Old January 11th, 2011, 09:43 AM

It will run lousy in the cold if you are not gentle on the gas for a while. I blocked off my crossover and had a problem with rough running under load until some heat soaked into the manifold and carb. I would drive just over a mile to a diner for breakfast with my Cutlass, running with hesitation if I wasn't very gentle on the gas but by the time I was finished eating and went on my way again heat had soaked into the manifold and carb and it would then run fine. After 8 years I had to fix a manifold leak, I put the crossover back in service and the car became much more drivable during cold weather. If you deactivated the heat stove then the problem will be even worse during cold weather.