BBO Machining Advice/Recommendations

Old August 6th, 2015, 05:30 PM

BBO Machining Advice/Recommendations

I just picked up a 455 block that I would like to get some machine work done on. I'm not looking to do anything until probably next spring, but I would like to start getting parts and things in order from now. I want to get some advice from guys that have built their own engines and see what and where I should avoid. I live near Macon, GA and I am willing to travel to get to a good machine shop. I know Joe Mondello operates out of TN about 5 hours from me. I have heard amazing things and a few bad things about his work, all from the internet, never from any personal experiences. My biggest fear is taking it to a local shop that doesn't know Olds engines and screws up my block and charges me a ton. Anyone that has some experience or can recommend a good shop in the west-GA area would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to get the block cleaned, sonic checked, crank checked for damage, have the rods cleaned up, bearings replaced and basically the short block assembled with the parts I get between now and then. This is a long term project as I have a running Buick 350 in my Cutlass now that gets me around. Thank you for all the help and any build advice. This is my first true build from the ground up.
Old August 6th, 2015, 05:48 PM

What are your goals for the motor? Mondello's shop in TN is excellent.
Old August 6th, 2015, 06:11 PM

I would like to see 350-375HP and 450ish ft/lbs. I have an 85' Olds Cutlass, it was my first car and I still drive it to work sometimes and weekend cruises. I would like to take it to the track on occasion, but it is by no means a drag car. 90% of the time I would be driving to cruise-ins or burning up country roads with the wife. The other 10% would be melting tires on the track. My current set up is a 72' Buick 350/T350 with a 7.5in rear end. I have an 8.5 3.73 posi ready to drop in and a 200-4r I plan to build to hold the future BBO torque. I have always wanted to swap in an Olds engine and I'm ready to start assembling the pieces to make it happen. I would like to get the block prepped and bottom end assembled by the shop. Everything else I can do myself. I would like to get some build ideas from people who have done this type of build before. I am not looking for an extreme build, just moderate performance and still very streetable.
Old August 13th, 2015, 04:26 PM

I suggest you do your homework, bearing clearances, rod side clearances, really just about everything in the short block needs to planned out if you're trying to achieve a 455 that will go the distance. Most machine shops only know sb chevy's, so look out, might think about sending the short block to Mondello, you won't be sorry..
Just ny .02
Old August 13th, 2015, 04:46 PM

What's your budget?
I'd use my guy in Jax Fl. He has all my plates and is the best at a competitive price.
And I assemble short blocks as well as full builds.

Last edited by cutlassefi; August 13th, 2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old September 7th, 2015, 03:59 AM

Just for a comparison. I live about 24 hours from Cutlassefi (Mark Remmel) and he's doing my engine build as we speak! I would highly recommend Mark! He knows Oldsmobiles! Mark will answer ALL of your questions and won't just take your money and shut the phone off during the build. Like I said in my Overkil build thread, Mark is always showing you what's he's doing and asking you where you want to take the build during the whole process! I don't know many others that would do that! Overall I would just say do a lot of research first and then go with who you feel is best!
Old September 7th, 2015, 08:30 AM

Thank you for all the help. When the time comes I think I will likely be giving cutlassefi a call. I'm only a few hours from Jacksonville/Central Florida. Right now I'm going through buying a house, but early next year I would like to get started on the build. Thanks again all.

-Bud