Any modified 394s?

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2021, 02:51 PM

Any modified 394s?

I have a '64 Starfire that I'm almost done with the interior... It was in good enough shape to drive around, but I wanted to do something different, so converted the original black vinyl interior to a combo of new parts from Scat and other restoration companies using Chevy, Olds and Buick parts... Anyways, I have moved onto the engine with does well just leaks oil like a fiend, so I'm wondering about moving forward with a complete rebuild or if I should do something else. I already switched out the stock air filter, put in a new aluminum radiator, and went to a catch can as simple weekend projects.

Has anyone else done some other work to their 394s that are simple weekend or otherwise short projects? Am I wasting time one way or another and should I go with a rebuild?

Thanks!
Old April 5th, 2021, 06:14 PM
Phantom Phixer

Where is it leaking oil ?
Clean the engine up underneath with Gunk and a pressure washer and run the engine for a while .
Look it over carefully to determine where it's leaking . It may be as simple as valve covers .
Even if it is an oil pan gasket or a rear main seal , it still wouldn't require an overhaul .
The rear main seal is a " rope " type seal . But Best Gasket makes a neophrene seal replacement .
These engines are expensive to overhaul , so do a compression check to make sure you need to overhaul it before diving in .
The lowest reading cylinder should be at least 85 percent of the highest reading .
This engine was rated at 345 HP stock . but a cam with more lift and duration will add some horsepower .
The Starfire is a 4300 pound automobile , so don't expect to make too much of a " hot rod " out of it .
Old April 5th, 2021, 07:31 PM

Thanks Charlie - yeah, it is gaskets all around and from the valve covers, but it has leaking from the block around the dipstick tube, and as long as I top off the oil whenever I take her out every couple days she still runs like a champ. Had her going for nearly 2 hours in heavy heat two days ago hovering at 200 degrees. I'm not looking to hot rod the car; I love the current output and feel, just wondering if anyone has done any other interesting things to the 394 other than the ones I've done already, and basically if I should continue to do smaller work before undertaking a complete overhaul. Understand the overhaul would be quite the undertaking, but I'd rather have a tip top running engine that'll get me through the next 60 decades (doubtful I will) to go to my kids before needing massive work again.
Old April 5th, 2021, 07:57 PM
Phantom Phixer

Typically 394 total re-builds run from 3 to 5 grand . If your compression readings are within 15 percent then you are just wasting your money .
BTW 60 decades is 600 years .
Old April 5th, 2021, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Typically 394 total re-builds run from 3 to 5 grand . If your compression readings are within 15 percent then you are just wasting your money .
BTW 60 decades is 600 years .
Haha oh man... That was a stupid typo.

Even if the rebuild prevents any issues besides normal maintenance?
Old April 7th, 2021, 08:00 AM

I have found that synthetic oil weeps noticeably more through any cork gas on these first generation engines I don't know why but on mine it makes a difference if I run dino oil compared to synthetic. Won't do much for a bad rear main but helps on the valve cover gaskets and such..... Just a thought..... Tedd
Old April 7th, 2021, 08:10 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

What weight oil are you running? My 54 has some miles on it and has some blowby. I usually run 20W50 Valvoline VR1 Racing oil in it (it has the needed zinc). I tried 10W30 and it just drinks that stuff. It uses some with 20W50 but noting like the 10W30.
Old April 7th, 2021, 09:31 AM

OA5599, looks like your getting some good ideas form these dark siders. Redoldsman is actually a neighbor and good friend and hes been over several times helping me out with various restoration type tasks on my 63 Starfire. Trying to keep this car original as possible has a registered 36K miles on her. Charlie has also has been very good answering my questions too.