AC bracket wont fit on preformer manifold

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2011, 09:53 PM

AC bracket wont fit on preformer manifold

Anyone had an issue with the AC bracket not fitting on a 455 when changing to an edelbrock manifold? My bracket wont line up with the bolt hole on the manifold, looks like the hole tapped on the manifold is to far to the center of the engine.
Old May 26th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Olds Dreamer

i had the same problem with my torker intake. i got the car that way the bolt was never in it. i tried playing around with it then just left it be. i would like to know what others have done also.
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:13 PM

OK I got it now. My mentor always told me "RTFM" (read the F*#%@*ing manual) I purchased my manifold used because I am frugal (cheap A$$) and didnt have the "FM". I went online and dowloaded edelbrocks installation manual. You have to modify the bracket, take 1/4 inch of material from the bottom of the bolt boss where the bracket meets the manifold the cut a slot in the bolt boss to make it U shaped then the bolt with a washer on it will tighten the bracket against the manifold. SIMPLE!
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:16 PM

AC bracket

Thanks for the tip, as it happens I am just putting all the brackets back on my engine and I ran into this same issue. I was able to mill off the AC bracket 1/4 inch and the bolt went right in, did not have to notch. On the drivers side the Alt bracket had the same issue. There I was able to mill the manifold down with a die grinder and alumnum bit. It had to come down about 1/4 inch also. It surprises me that Edelbrock did not make these brackets the right height, it would have been easy during the design process. Dave E
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:57 PM

Yep, exact same prob, but on the RPM intake. I just left that bolt off and trusted the others would be tight enough.