71 455 pushrods and spring kit info

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2016, 06:55 PM

71 455 pushrods and spring kit info

I am currently in the process of buying parts for my engine. I am currently buying bits and pieces to eventually start assembling it. I am looking for a stock to very mild build, (just a little more then stock is my goal) I have my cam which is a voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet 262/268. I will be sticking with stamp steel rocker (comp cam high energy). I have 2 questions

1. Pushrods- which push rods should I buy? If possible a part number would be great.

2. Valve Spring kit- Lunati recommended kit# 73195K2. I have G heads that I will rebuild. Would this kit work?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old July 23rd, 2016, 08:36 PM

Pushrod length will depend upon your specific engine engine. Factors such as block deck height, any head milling, valve stem height after head rebuild, and head gasket thickness will result in variations from factory specs. After you have the heads on the block, use an adjustable pushrod to determine the length needed, then order that length.
Old July 23rd, 2016, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Pushrod length will depend upon your specific engine engine. Factors such as block deck height, any head milling, valve stem height after head rebuild, and head gasket thickness will result in variations from factory specs. After you have the heads on the block, use an adjustable pushrod to determine the length needed, then order that length.
Thank you for that information. I will waitto order those. As far as selecting a valve spring kit, would the one that lunati recommended work?
Old July 24th, 2016, 12:54 PM

I am not an expert on that. The cam manufacturer knows much better than I do which springs work with a particular cam profile.
Old July 24th, 2016, 01:35 PM

I am not an expert on that. The cam manufacturer knows much better than I do which springs work with a particular cam profile.
Respectfully, I disagree. The cam manufacturers SHOULD know, but that is rarely the case. As you mentioned above, there are many factors that alter what is actually needed.

Generally, I've found the pre-packaged "kits" to be wastes of money. At best, you have false savings, unless you are doing ALL the machine and assembly work yourself.

Pretend you are the guy that rebuilds cylinder heads. You are doing this work every day. You buys LOTS of the same parts, and will typically use certain vendors most of the time. By buying in volume, you get discounts on those parts - springs, retainers, guides, seals, etc... You can charge the customer a fair price on those, and still make a bit more profit by providing them.

Now I walk in, and bring in my own kit with my own springs/retainers/seals/etc... I am cutting into your profit. You will probably charge me more for the other services you provide me, to make up the difference. If there is a problem with any of the parts, then *I* am going to have to come pick up the parts and handle the return/replacement of those parts.

I've had shops refuse to even use some of the kit parts, for various reasons.

I give the machinist the specs on the cam, and tell him how I am going to use it. I let HIM pick and supply the springs, locks, retainers, seals, etc. If you are using a QUALITY shop, they will have no problems doing so. If it happens to be an obscure motor and they are having trouble getting the right parts, THEN they may ask you to help find something suitable.

SUMMARY: I've had MUCH better luck letting the machine shop provide the parts than I have by buying "kits."
Old July 24th, 2016, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by LeeA
Respectfully, I disagree.
Well, you are wrong. I can tell you without a doubt that the cam companies know more than I do.
Old July 24th, 2016, 02:10 PM

Well, you are wrong. I can tell you without a doubt that the cam companies know more than I do.

LOL, touche'!
Old July 24th, 2016, 02:12 PM

Thank you, I believe you put it in perfect perspective
Respectfully, I disagree. The cam manufacturers SHOULD know, but that is rarely the case. As you mentioned above, there are many factors that alter what is actually needed.

Generally, I've found the pre-packaged "kits" to be wastes of money. At best, you have false savings, unless you are doing ALL the machine and assembly work yourself.

Pretend you are the guy that rebuilds cylinder heads. You are doing this work every day. You buys LOTS of the same parts, and will typically use certain vendors most of the time. By buying in volume, you get discounts on those parts - springs, retainers, guides, seals, etc... You can charge the customer a fair price on those, and still make a bit more profit by providing them.

Now I walk in, and bring in my own kit with my own springs/retainers/seals/etc... I am cutting into your profit. You will probably charge me more for the other services you provide me, to make up the difference. If there is a problem with any of the parts, then *I* am going to have to come pick up the parts and handle the return/replacement of those parts.

I've had shops refuse to even use some of the kit parts, for various reasons.

I give the machinist the specs on the cam, and tell him how I am going to use it. I let HIM pick and supply the springs, locks, retainers, seals, etc. If you are using a QUALITY shop, they will have no problems doing so. If it happens to be an obscure motor and they are having trouble getting the right parts, THEN they may ask you to help find something suitable.

SUMMARY: I've had MUCH better luck letting the machine shop provide the parts than I have by buying "kits."
Old July 24th, 2016, 02:15 PM

You need to verify your installed height before you buy anything. I've had G heads that took a taller spring so check it first.
Old July 24th, 2016, 03:15 PM

LOL, touche'!
Hey, I just say you are in Seabrook. I miss the seafood in that area. I grew up in SW LA, lived south of Houston in Angleton/Lake Jackson before moving to the desert, and my wife taught at Alvin High.
Old July 24th, 2016, 04:34 PM

Hey, I just say you are in Seabrook. I miss the seafood in that area. I grew up in SW LA, lived south of Houston in Angleton/Lake Jackson before moving to the desert, and my wife taught at Alvin High.
Small world! I'm so used to the seafood that I probably take it for granted. We were a bit south of you back in December, our daughter graduated from UA.