455 rear main cap sealer

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2021, 04:06 PM

455 rear main cap sealer

Getting conflicting messages re: rear main cap needing silicone sealer being applied between engine block and the rear main cap ( near rear main seal area ) ... just installed the crankshaft on my 455 build using ARP studs , I did not put sealer in this area am holding off till I get some feedback.

THX
Old August 9th, 2021, 04:14 PM
same but different

I'll suggest permatex #3 Not a fan of silicone.

https://www.permatex.com/products/ga.../?locale=en_us
Old August 9th, 2021, 04:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

A couple of little dabs wouldn't hurt, but the reality is that there was nothing there from the factory. The potential "leak path" is tiny and circuitous. The groove pointed out in the photo is intended to drain off any oil back into the pan before it can migrate out through that joint.

Old August 10th, 2021, 06:09 PM

Think I'll skip the sealer , Thx for the input
Old August 21st, 2021, 09:35 PM

Just curious but what rear main seal did you use?
Old August 21st, 2021, 09:36 PM

Is that the old rope seal?
Old August 22nd, 2021, 10:48 AM

I got the seals from Olds Rocket Parts , he sells on E-Bay but has a website also . Junior is a very nice guy sells Olds parts very reasonable has a pretty extensive selection of parts , and very helpful encourages phone calls if you have any technical questions . The rear main seal is actually a Ford 460 seal so you can get it from a local jobber but I like to support Olds Rocket Parts .
Old August 22nd, 2021, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by jskorz
I got the seals from Olds Rocket Parts , he sells on E-Bay but has a website also . Junior is a very nice guy sells Olds parts very reasonable has a pretty extensive selection of parts , and very helpful encourages phone calls if you have any technical questions . The rear main seal is actually a Ford 460 seal so you can get it from a local jobber but I like to support Olds Rocket Parts .
I bought a few items from him and called him. A real nice guy that sells Olds engine parts on eBay. He told me that he use to work for Joe Mondello for a few years. He left Mondello when Lynn took over.
Old August 24th, 2021, 04:53 PM

There are many opinions on this topic. The vast majority of the Olds W-Cars I inspect have seals which leak excessivly. The 460 Ford rear main seal does technically work, however the surface of the crank where it rides was not intended for a lip seal and its surface can be damaged and prone to leaking. Check your surface area first. Modern rope seals require to be worked into the main cap, but seal just fine. Also, if you do use any sealer inbetween the 1/2s it should be minimal and be a sealer which will harden without air as it will not get any inbetween the main cap and block once torqued properly. You will also find a descrepancies on the 455 main cap torque requirement. Here I would check with your bearing mfgs and not rely on general info.