394 blow by, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2009, 07:19 AM

394 blow by, HELP!

Here what is going on. About a couple of weeks ago, I had my car running perfect. All of a sudden I took it out for a spin around the neigborhood and the car quit on me. Luckily, I was close to home and had my wife bring over a extra fuel pump that I had. Now after installing this pump. The car just doesn't run right. The eng shakes a little and I get a bunch of blow by out of the filler tube. I have a pcv hooked to it for ventilation.

When I first got the car this was happening to me and I changed the points to pertronix and the blow by stopped. Don't know if related, but it quit shooting oil out.

Now, I had changed the pertronix to points cause the car would not start about 3 weeks ago after replacing timing chain. Thinking that it was defective pertronix. I was wrong, it was the coil, burned up from not running it with out a resistor. Anyway, I put the pertronix back on the car ran, but still the car runs rough at idle and I still have the blow by.

What are your thoughts?
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

When I first got the car this was happening to me and I changed the points to pertronix and the blow by stopped. Don't know if related, but it quit shooting oil out.

I really don't understand this. Strange

Here what is going on. About a couple of weeks ago, I had my car running perfect. All of a sudden I took it out for a spin around the neigborhood and the car quit on me. Luckily, I was close to home and had my wife bring over a extra fuel pump that I had. Now after installing this pump. The car just doesn't run right. The eng shakes a little and I get a bunch of blow by out of the filler tube. I have a pcv hooked to it for ventilation.

You put a bad fuel pump on it. It is sucking oil through the diaphram. It probably had been on the shelf a long time and has a cracked diaphram.
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:04 AM

"You put a bad fuel pump on it. It is sucking oil through the diaphram. It probably had been on the shelf a long time and has a cracked diaphram."

If there is oil being sucked thru the diaphram wouldn't it be leaking oil thru the pump some where on the outside? And would it cause blowby from the filler tube?
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:42 AM

What year 394? I had the fuel pump with the sponge filter in the bottom of the glass bowl. Long story short - The sponge disintegrated and it ended up sitting up in the fuel bowl of the carbureator. Maybe you have the same problem? A hole in the fuel pump diaphram that is sucking in oil would result in smoke coming out of the tailpipes
Old February 9th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 59-59-59
What year 394? I had the fuel pump with the sponge filter in the bottom of the glass bowl. Long story short - The sponge disintegrated and it ended up sitting up in the fuel bowl of the carbureator. Maybe you have the same problem? A hole in the fuel pump diaphram that is sucking in oil would result in smoke coming out of the tailpipes
1961 394cid, blow by coming from the filler tube. My pump does not have a glass bowl.
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:57 PM

Just something small to check, but if the 394 has a PCV valve, make sure it is not installed upside down..e
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:01 PM

Did the pistons crack?