394 air cleaner ....horn a little small? redline? CAI?

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:22 AM

394 air cleaner ....horn a little small? redline? CAI?

Ok so I haven't even driven the damn thing and I already want to make changes. Again, I'm keeping all the stock parts. But I was looking at pictures of the air cleaner, and the intake horn looks a little small. Being the performance minded person we all are, I'd like to improve on this if anyone really thinks it will get me some gains.

Now of course there's the old school open element air cleaner we're used to, but it sucks in heat from all under the hood. So....

What about a cold air intake? Ok, no I'm not trying rice this thing out. The actual mechanics of it seem reasonable. Cool air, directed straight into the carb. Now I know I'm not going to see massive amounts of HP, but has anyone played around with doing the cooler air thing for a classic?

Anyone have an idea of a safe redline for this engine? I have the one with 10.25 comp.

Ok, I just read this article http://www.musclecarclub.com/library/tech/intake.shtml and it seems the top end would net me about 1% for every 10 degree drop...no surprise. How much difference in temp? 20, maybe 30 degrees....But then theres the size of the horn too. Maybe I'll just get a typical air cleaner top and call it good.

Last edited by 64starfire; April 3rd, 2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:56 PM

Unless you install an OAI hood on a Cutlass you aren't going to see any appreciable increase in HP from installing a cold air intake. You might be able to measure the increase with a dyno but it won't be that much.

If you want cold air intake consider getting flexible tubing to run down below the bumper. Fabricate an air dam for under the bumper and hook the other end up to the nozzle on the air cleaner housing. It might not do much but it looks Herculian.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 64starfire
Ok so I haven't even driven the damn thing and I already want to make changes. Again, I'm keeping all the stock parts. But I was looking at pictures of the air cleaner, and the intake horn looks a little small. Being the performance minded person we all are, I'd like to improve on this if anyone really thinks it will get me some gains.

Now of course there's the old school open element air cleaner we're used to, but it sucks in heat from all under the hood. So....

What about a cold air intake? Ok, no I'm not trying rice this thing out. The actual mechanics of it seem reasonable. Cool air, directed straight into the carb. Now I know I'm not going to see massive amounts of HP, but has anyone played around with doing the cooler air thing for a classic?

Anyone have an idea of a safe redline for this engine? I have the one with 10.25 comp.

Ok, I just read this article http://www.musclecarclub.com/library/tech/intake.shtml and it seems the top end would net me about 1% for every 10 degree drop...no surprise. How much difference in temp? 20, maybe 30 degrees....But then theres the size of the horn too. Maybe I'll just get a typical air cleaner top and call it good.
If by "horn" you mean the air cleaner snorkel, keep in mind that these were shaped for sound attenuation as well as for flow. I've always heard about 1 HP improvement for each 7 deg decrease in inlet temp (that comes from Doug Roe's Qjet book, if I recall correctly). Figure underhood temp is about 180 deg F and outside temp might be 75 deg F. That's 15 hp for free.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:46 AM

Still back to this thing

Ok back to this thing.....My main concern was the horn on the stock air cleaner. The whole 'cold air" part would be a secondary benefit. Anyone have any input to changing this thing out for a noticeable increase?

I guess I should just try it and see what happens.

What I'm eyeballing is the stuff that Spectre makes. Pretty nice stuff really.

EDIT!!!!!:::: Ok, after looking closely at my pictures and factory air cleaner pictures... The previous owner put on an Edelbrock Carb, along with an aftermarket air cleaner. I'm pretty sure the Quadrajet mounting is different than an Edelbrock (Carter). The replacement was very similar in build, style as the factory which is what I'm sure he was going for. BUT!!!! I finally notice that the inlet to the horn was obviously smaller than the factory air cleaner. So this leads me to go ahead and replace this air cleaner.

Last edited by 64starfire; May 6th, 2009 at 06:10 AM. Reason: DUHHHHHHH
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Oldsdruid

It doesn't use a QuadraJet. It uses a Rochester 4GC and the air horn opening is smaller than a Q-Jet, but about same size as an Edelbrock/AFB.

If you're talking about the OE aircleaner, the snorkel opening is as big as or bigger than about any OE 4-bbl piece.

I suggest you start trying to learn something about how this car is designed and works before you start randomly throwing modifications and aftermarket **** at it. You may end up making the car worse. Not that many people are really familiar with them anymore.

I'm thinking part of this transmission issue that has you in a spin may go back to the Edelbrock carb installation. If the TV rod isn't adjusted right, a Slim Jim is going to work erratically, and a different carb will affect the TV adjustment.

Last edited by rocketraider; May 6th, 2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:10 PM

The car drives fine

There aren't any problems with the trans or the carb. The previous owner liked the car but wasn't much of a mechanic. He paid to have most of the work done.

Whats odd is the older snorkel looks larger, but the one on my car looks like a reproduction but the norkel is different. Maybe a poor reproduction. Well, I'm going to spend my money anyhow and try the newer setup. If I don't like it I'll put it on ebay. It's not anything I can't change back. Ok for some reason that first link isn't working, copy and paste in your browser.

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2whjc7l.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by 64starfire; May 6th, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:09 PM

That Spectre stuff is crap crap crap and did I forget to mention that it's crap. Thinking about it and doing some reseach lately it's what cost me to run 20.60 in the 1/4 mile with the 307 in my Delta.

This will look rigged big time, but go to Home Depot or some place like that and buy a bendable, shapeable duct tube. They come in 3 inch size I believe and are bright sliver in color. Zip tie it to the snokle of the air cleaner and run the tube to right behind the grill (don't cut anything) or run it down to a fender well, under the car, etc for your test before you make anything permanment and see if you like it.

With this tube crushed down, my Delta run 19.98 in the 1/4 mile, with the Spectre it ran 20.40 to 20.60. Of course thinking back the car needed a tune, cleaned or replaced carb, new fuel filter, and new vacuum lines. Plus the emission air tubes were cracked, killing performance.

Next Delta project gets: new plugs, clened carb (or replaced with a Holley) new cap and rotor (if computerized carb is replaced) new fuel filter, and bye bye A.I.R. tubes.

Then headers, and if it's a 84 and older (5A heads) a new manifold, but all the cash that will be spent on the 307, will switch over to the 350 anyway, so it's not a waste
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM

I get what you're saying

I do remember Spectre stuff being crap. But for some reason this newer filter stuff seems to look better anyhow. I ordered it from Jeg's, and if the stuff really seems that crappy, I"ll send it back and get a refund. If you go to their website and look at the cars they built with their intakes on them, most of the are pretty nice. The Volvo with the kit looks pretty hokey but most of the others' look alight.

As for the snorkel/ homedepot flex hose bit, well the whole point is the snorkel on my current air cleaner is pretty small for that motor. I think it's just a poor reproduction. Of course I don't know now many times I'll be going WOT to actually need a larger opening but oh well.

Yeah, headers would be nice but i'd have to make them. If/When I get my shop built, I'll put that on my to do list.