Steering wheel lights out for radio conrols

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2007, 05:27 PM

Steering wheel lights out for radio conrols

Hell everyone I have a 2001 Olds Aurora. All but 1 of the lights on the steering wheel controls are not working. The question I have is do you need to change the switches or are there bulbs in there to change? Also do the controls pop out or is there a trick to getting them out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and I love the site.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:01 AM
Past Administrator

Shaggy,
You are probably looking at a job most people shirk away from. Getting into a steering wheel, especially one with controls in it is scary, at least to old-timers like me. However, I am an electronice repair man and can tell you probably the individual lamp for that button is out and it wouldn't be a switch. It might be a contact or wire but I bet they use a flex circuit to connect all the switches and lamps under the steering wheel pad. Your biggest challenge will be removing the steering wheel because I am pretty sure it can't be repaired without doing that. Then there is the air bag too! I just remembered that. You might have to take that to the service center. I wouldn't dig into my wife's '99 LeSaber to do that.....
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the info, it sounds like a job for a pro but at least I know now. Thanks again