cup holders

Old January 26th, 2007, 09:47 AM

cup holders

I just got my 02 Aurora a few months ago and wish I had gotten it sooner! Its the best car I've ever owned!

My problem is that the cup holders are jammed & I cannot open them. I haven't done much with it because I don't want to scratch up the surfice by prying it with a screwdriver or something like that. I was just curious if anyone had a tip for me.

Also, my front tires were low (15lbs), but the computer said tire pressure was normal. Is it common for this feature to not be accurate?

Thanks!
farisee
Old March 10th, 2007, 08:21 AM
2Blue 55

The cupholder assembly should slide out with a flat screwdriver (i think, don't force it because it might not) and then when it comes out you can have a better look at what the problem is. Idon't know about the tire thing... Have you had any luck yet?
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Keith,

I still haven't gotten the cupholder out yet - haven't wanted to slide a screwdriver in for fear of scratching it up (I don't trust myself). When I ask mechanics/dealers they give me an impression that there is something wrong with me so I don't bother pressing them. I've asked them in passing when bringing in our other vehicle. I guess now that its nice outside I can really dive into it and possibly take apart the center console if necessary.

The tires are fine. I had to watch and fill them a few times this winter when it got real cold. I guess the aluminum rims don't work so well below 0 degrees. I still don't understand why the computers said the tire pressure was fine though.

Thanks for the idea.
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:12 PM
2Blue 55

Do you have a pic of the cupholder. I could ask a few people and see if they can give us another idea.
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:36 PM

low preasure sensor

I'm not an expert on this but my experience is that I've had to "reset" the sensor when all of the tires are full for it to work properly again. Once done, it seems that the low preasure indicator works just fine. We live near the Cascade mountains & I put studded snow tires on the car every winter. When I do this I have to make sure that the sensor is reset after filling up the tires to rated preasure.

By the way, I really like the way my 2001 Aurora (3.0L V6) handles, its responsiveness & feel, both on the accellerator and the road feel, but it has terrible reliability problems. I have 4 cars (3 boys who are 16-20) and the Aurora is in the garage more than all of the others put together! Right now I have a fuel level sensor that has gone bad (making very erratic gage readings) and I'm told it will cost ~$600! That is why I just joined this forum.
Old December 21st, 2008, 11:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by farisee
My problem is that the cup holders are jammed & I cannot open them. I haven't done much with it because I don't want to scratch up the surfice by prying it with a screwdriver or something like that. I was just curious if anyone had a tip for me.

Also, my front tires were low (15lbs), but the computer said tire pressure was normal. Is it common for this feature to not be accurate?

Thanks!
farisee
I replaced the cup holders in my 95 Regency because they broke. Got them from the wreckers for $1.00. If your Aurora (sorry I'm not familiar with it, although I wish I had one) has the same kind of setup, the holders are pressure fitted and held in place by 2 plastic pivots molded into the unit. I only needed to release one side with slight lateral pressure - flatblade screwdriver - to release it, then just wiggle it to the side to release the other pin. If you don't get any replies that help on this thread, I would suggest that you find a local pick and pull and practice on their cars to solve your problem. Last time I was at the wrecker, they had at least 3 Auroras.

BTW, I think that's really cool that Aurora has tire pressure monitoring. Didn't know that before. If it works like the digital info center in my 98, I would agree that doing a "reset" might solve your problem. Sort of like when you change oil, or avg mpg etc, you have to do a reset too. Good luck with your car. Sorry to hear that it's causing problems.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:33 AM

Check the date, and the OP's post count.

Norm