2003 alero GLS rims and tire pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2013, 10:44 PM

2003 alero GLS rims and tire pressure sensors

We just purchased a 2003 GLS. Someone replaced the polished alloy rims with a painted version, year unknown. I want to get the correct polished rims for summer. They appear to look the same from 2001-2004, but when I looked at the Hollander interchange numbers I see #6047 for '01-'02 and #6055 for '03-'04. Is there a difference.

Question number two involves the tire pressure monitoring system. Some sources imply that they changed from an indirect to a direct system around '03. Could that be the difference between the rims? Also, do all Aleros have the TPM system? When I started car shopping I drove a '00 GLS with the system so assumed at least the GLS cars all had it. The light does not light on our '03 and the rims leaked pretty bad this week. The light did not come on when I turned the key to check the warning lights. Maybe the last owner shut the system down when he swapped rims or the light does not light when there is no signal due to a lack of the sensors.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old February 14th, 2013, 02:47 AM

The spokes are different between the early years and late years wheels, and are available in polished or chrome...some are 15" and some are 16".
Old February 14th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Lansing built

This should answer some questions on the TPMS.
http://www2.otctools.com/otctools.co...s/3833_165.pdf
Quickest way to tell is to go 12psi below the lowest tire with ignition switch on, it will set it off the low press light, according to the earlier trouble shooting guide open drivers door and remove cover on side of dash, should have a reset button. From looking at the net, I don't believe that 03-04 has TPMS. edit when resetting make sure all tires are within 1 PSI overall before punching the reset button.

Don't think that this is the oil life reset, that is done by the gas pedal.

Pat

Last edited by 1970cs; February 14th, 2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: add in reset detail
Old February 14th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Lansing built

2003 Alero dealership brochure

My scaned copies overlaped sorry!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2003 alero.jpg (39.5 KB, 9 views)
2003 alero_0001.jpg (90.8 KB, 10 views)
2003 alero_0002.jpg (67.7 KB, 22 views)
2003 alero_0003.jpg (35.3 KB, 8 views)
2003 alero_0004.jpg (33.6 KB, 16 views)
Old February 14th, 2013, 06:24 PM
72 Olds CS

TPMS was mandatory on all 2008 (or 2007) and newer cars in the US earlier cars may have it as an option
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:28 PM

Pat, thanks for the brochure scan. I looked through that and all the options on ours match up with the GLS. However, I'm not sure of the rims yet. I started going through the RPO codes, on the trunk board and found QD1 which is the "16x6.5, aluminum, styled" wheel. Anyone know if that is the polished GLS wheel pictured in the brochure? I was beginning to wonder if this was a loaded GL2. I saw a post somewhere that said the GLS cars have a W33 code, which this does not. I don't know if the code was for all year Aleros or one particular year.
Old February 15th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Lansing built

I am thinking that you may have a GL2, I punched in your wheel code it came up as wheel, so I punched in my wheel code PY0 came back as wheel.
W33 came back as GLS conversion and my RPO code list on my car has it.
So I went back to the pics and looked at the upper door panel trim; GX,GL1 and GL2 should have carpet, yours has been redone to match the dark on the seats in leather! The other clues would be the review mirror with map light should have two buttons driver side and pass. and I believe that RPO sticker should list 1SA for GLS.

I regret that the seller and I made have misled you! I usually see leather and power seat on 2002-2004 Aleros that usually a dead give away for GLS model. Like you said that the nicest Alero that you drove so far. As far tire leakage some have mentioned this problem before you have to dismount tires clean the beads and put tire sealer on the bead and remount.

NADA Clean retail less sunroof on a GL2 sedan $5550.00
Trade in $3050.00 Money wise you did well!

Pat
Old February 15th, 2013, 11:22 PM

Not to worry about the GLS GL2 thing. We didn't base the purchase on that. I just like the car condition, the option list, and thought the interior was pretty cool. I don't know what all the differences are between the GLS and the GL2 other than what the brochure shows. This has codes for the FE3 sport suspension, four wheel disc and abs, sunroof, the eight speaker with amp option, and pretty much everything else. The interior mirror does have two reading lights but the GLS one must be different. My mirror code is DC4.

I did find the interior code and it is for cloth. This does not surprise me. My dad sold cars for years. When dealers did modification they usually ordered the cheaper factory version of the thing they were going to replace. It wouldn't make sense to order leather then pull it out to replace it with different leather. I called the company that did the conversion. They did do a lot of dealer work back then and thought that might have been the case but didn't still have the paper work.

Would the TPM system have a RPO number? I thinking this did not have that which is fine since the light would probably never go out. I have not had good luck with alloy wheels. They always leak. I still think I'll look for a set of GLS wheels to brighten it up a bit.

Joel
Old February 16th, 2013, 03:51 AM

The wider spoke in polished style are definitely harder to find and usually pricier.

I personally like the wide spoke better but do like both style factory wheels.
Old February 16th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Lansing built

That's a weird optioned car, looks like a crossbreed GL2/GLS, kinda strange to have ordered the GLS mirror and added the leather seats, I like the heated part. Get a hold of Redog he has 2000 Alero level? but he should have TPMS on his

Invoice on 2003 GL2 was $19750.00 and GLS was $20530.00. IMO for getting the leather, map readers and polished wheels that's an easy one for me. I am not a big fan of leather due to the cracking. I always use leather treatment at least two times a year to keep it supple. My GLS was an expensive bugger pushing the $25K mark pretty hard.

We have an 2011 Equinox 1lt with 3 added options and that sticker was $25500.00

Here is a little help on RPO decodes.http://lonestarthunder.com/m_rpo.php
And the website for Compnine.com which used to be totally free for up to three VIN# conversion to RPO a day, now you have to throw them your e-mail address for a freebie decode.
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:39 AM

After looking at the brochure scan Pat posted, it's clear that the QD1 rims are the painted 16" rims currently on the car. So know I just have to figure out the difference between the '01-'02 PY0 rim and the '03-'04 PY0 rim. They look identical in the pictures and diagrams. I picked up one from supposedly a '01 Alero but would prefer to use the correct one from an '03 if there is a difference. Anyone know what that difference could be? They both seem to be 16". Is there a different number cast into it under the cap? Is one clear coated and one not? It's probably something minor but I'm curious as to what it might be. I'm sure either one would fit fine and look good. They both look to have a polished finish.
Old February 19th, 2013, 03:10 PM

TPMS in 2000 was done when one wheel would be 12 psi below the other 3. The thing about that is that if 3 wheels were at 20 (12 below 32) the other would have to be at 8 before the light would go on. It also takes aboiut 12-20 miles of driving for the PCM to figure out that there is a problem. It's all done by wheel hub sensors. An underinflated wheel would have less roation per mile than a correctly inflated one.

I don't think the wheel have any difference with the TPMS. As far as I know, all 5 years of Alero did not have those sensors inside the tire like newer cars do. TPMS was an option in 99,00, and I think 01. It was offered on the higher end models. I bought mine brand new and it was top of the line. In 01, it was 1 little step down