Installing Ham Radio

Old August 14th, 2006, 01:28 PM

Installing Ham Radio

I am looking for a decent location to mount a 2 Meter amateur radio. Any suggestions?
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Past Administrator

Are you willing to drill a hole in the roof? That would be the best place for a flush mount for omnidirectional field strength. I am guessing you aren't, so I would say use a trunk lip mount on the upper edge of the trunk right in the center, second choice would be on the passenger side. You are talking about non-gain 1/4 wave right? That would be about an 18 inch mast. Ever see the cop cars or Federal service cars with VHF lip mounts? Pretty clean installations if done carefully. Good luck.

(assuming you are talking about an Oldsmobile car)
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Are you willing to drill a hole in the roof? That would be the best place for a flush mount for omnidirectional field strength. I am guessing you aren't, so I would say use a trunk lip mount on the upper edge of the trunk right in the center, second choice would be on the passenger side. You are talking about non-gain 1/4 wave right? That would be about an 18 inch mast. Ever see the cop cars or Federal service cars with VHF lip mounts? Pretty clean installations if done carefully. Good luck.

(assuming you are talking about an Oldsmobile car)
Sorry I wasn't more specific. The antenna is not a problem (mag mount or lip mount as you suggest) but rather actual radio install in the passenger compartment. Currently I have it stashed in the console but that is quite akward and problematic with respect to the mic cord. And are there any RF feedline routing specs for an '02 Alero? I know Chevrolet used to have recommendations for routing antenna wires to minimize interference with computers and other on-board electronics.

--scott