How smooth is the v6?

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2016, 07:00 AM

How smooth is the v6?

So I've mostly owned 4cyl cars in my life, and 4cyl are inherently unbalanced, and so have some vibration to them. but in my experience, the few 6cyl I have owned are inherently balanced, and so are smooth with little to no vibration finding its way into the cab. However, the v6 in my new to me alero transfers quite a bit of vibration into the steering wheel, and chassis. I took a look at the engine mounts and they look OK. I am going to be doing an over all tune up on it, should there be anything specific I'm checking for?
Old April 13th, 2016, 07:51 AM

You shouldn't feel any appreciable vibration if everything is right.......I'd check the mount directly under the crank pulley. It's likely swimming in engine oil and the rubber has collapsed......allowing metal to metal contact. To check it CAREFULLY jack up the motor a bit and see if the vibration goes away.
Old April 13th, 2016, 07:57 AM

Thanks, I'll check that one. It actually isn't leaking any oil at all currently, but that doesn't mean it hasn't in the past.
Old April 13th, 2016, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by aroundincircles
Thanks, I'll check that one. It actually isn't leaking any oil at all currently, but that doesn't mean it hasn't in the past.
Ok let me know! Unless the car has been meticulously maintained (and cleaned) that mount is literally submerged in oil/trans fluid. The pocket in the cradle it sits in has no drain hole (great design gm) After the rubber fails the metal can deform enough to allow the rh inner cv joint to hit the cradle......if that joint is less than inch away from the frame you've found the problem!
Old April 13th, 2016, 06:11 PM
Lansing built

I have 04 Alero GLS, I have no issues with vibrations!

How many miles are on the car?

Pat
Old April 13th, 2016, 07:45 PM
Administrator

I sold a ton of them back in the day, they ran very well.
Old April 13th, 2016, 08:32 PM

it has 103k miles. owned by an older couple and its sat for at least a year to a year and a half basically unused. it drives nice, but it just has a bit more vibration than I expected.

Didn't get a chance to check the engine mount today. my goal was to install new front speakers as the stock ones were blown, and sounded terrible. and I drive 30 miles one way to work.
Old April 14th, 2016, 03:27 AM
Lansing built

The vibrations, when due they happen? At idle, certain speeds, braking.

Pat
Old April 14th, 2016, 06:16 AM

at idle. like when I am sitting at a stop light. I don't notice it as much when the engine is cold, more when its warmed up, and running a bit leaner.
Old April 29th, 2016, 07:33 PM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by aroundincircles
it has 103k miles. owned by an older couple and its sat for at least a year to a year and a half basically unused. it drives nice, but it just has a bit more vibration than I expected.

Didn't get a chance to check the engine mount today. my goal was to install new front speakers as the stock ones were blown, and sounded terrible. and I drive 30 miles one way to work.

From '88 or so on GM V6's will run incredibly smooth. Assuming the bushings and motor mounts are still in good condition and the engine is running like it's supposed to then you probably shouldn't feel anything.