Finally got my 75 442 running carb question

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2014, 05:19 AM

Finally got my 75 442 running carb question

Well, I posted pics of my 75 442 with bb 455 here a pretty while back. Well It needed a fuel pump, would not pick up gas from tank. Well I finally got to around putting the pump on. Put pump on, drained gas tank, 5 gallons of non ethanol gas, filled the bowl up on the q-jet and she fired right up. Well since I have cranked it everyday when I get home from work. Well its been 2 weeks since I got it running. Well a few days after getting it going I noticed when it gets near operating temp it goes to smoking badly a blueish tint to the smoke. Well i said dern rings must be bad. Well you could take off the oil cap when running no blow by what so ever. Well I placed my hand in front of the exhaust for a couple of seconds when it started smoking bad. My hand smelt of gas vapors. So I 99.9 percent sure its a running rich problem , plus our 83 dually with a q-jet did the same thing and we put a holley on it and cured it. Well after about a week and half of running it (i let it run until it started running rich at around the time engine was at normal operating temp) I noticed it wasn't burning a drop of oil. So I got to thinking it must be the q-jet. Well I got to digging online and found a statement 99% of all quadrajet flood overs happen when its hot and its because of the float being saturated. I think this is true for my case because again when it starts smoking it has a gas smell to it. Plus I know that when a car burns oil the exhaust it has its own distinct smell. So my plans are to rebuild the q-jet. I plan to buy a book that covers the rebuilding process. What I think I will do is my bossman must have 10 q-jets sitting around that was more that likely replaced by holleys, he will probable give me. So if I could find the exact model of q-jet thats on the 442, take and rebuild it . I don't like the fact of taking the carb off and having it off a week or 2 while I rebuild the q-jet. To much stuff to get inside motor. I have never worked on any carburators other than small engine. But to be honest I started my mechanic hobby working on small engine. To start I could not rebuild a simple Briggs and Stratton carb, now I know how to rebuild any small engine carb. I am very familiar with chevy tbi, I have worked on many early chevy fuel injected vehicles. So this will be my first rodeo with a quadrajet. Got a video I will post of it running.
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Administrator

It may well be valve guide seals. Bluish smoke is generally oil. A rich condition at idle can be a number of things, poor idle a/f adjustment, dwell and/or timing is off, weak spark, etc. To keep things from dropping in my manifold with the carb off, I drape a hand towel over the opening.