Remember that $300k+ W-30 rag at Scottsdale?

Old November 18th, 2014, 06:03 AM

Well. I guess I have some "'splainin'' to do, and YES, I have some egg on my face. Seems the info. I was given is/was no more true than the documents accompanying this car. Very unfortunate that this type of stuff happens to what is supposed to be fun.
"Oh, what a web we weave....."
Sorry guys.

Last edited by Dave Siltman; November 18th, 2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old November 18th, 2014, 02:39 PM

Dave your one of the good guys, who wants to be able to take folks at their word.

The scenario speaks volumes about the auction house as well as the seller.
Old November 18th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

This is why I would never buy a car whose value is determined by a bunch of pieces of paper.

If I wanted to spend thousands of dollars on pieces of paper, I'd collect stamps.

- Eric
Old March 12th, 2017, 11:18 AM

Thumbs up Documentation

[Got a 70 SX W-32 Convertible and my wife has a 71 Supreme Hardtop and was thinking a maybe making a window sticker for her. Would it be possible to get the measurements of yours, That would be awesome! Thanx!]71442docs010.jpg71442docs012.jpg
Old March 12th, 2017, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by GreatSX
[Got a 70 SX W-32 Convertible and my wife has a 71 Supreme Hardtop and was thinking a maybe making a window sticker for her. Would it be possible to get the measurements of yours, That would be awesome! Thanx!]
Just have TK-65 make you one
Old March 12th, 2017, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
1. Those "documents" all look like they were aged in the same bucket at the same time.
Obvious BS. I am amazed and appalled that anyone would fall for them.

These "documented" cars are no better, and honestly should be no more valuable than any other car of a similar restoration level / quality.
A fully restored L6 F-85 post with rubber floor mats is, with a very few parts differences, the same exact car as a W-30 (or an LS6 Chevelle), and the differences in values reflect the whims of a bunch of rich people throwing their money around, and have absolutely NO basis in the actual, intrinsic value of the vehicle itself.
Yes, "what the market will bear," "what someone else is willing to pay," and all that, but these cars are, at the most basic level, mass-produced American pieces of junk, made by a huge corporation looking to make all the profit it could, designed by penny-pinching engineers, churned out by a bunch of guys who mostly didn't give a damn, working in a huge factory with sloppy tolerances, with a high rate of warranty claims after they were sold.
These are not Dusenbergs or Maseratis that were slowly and-built by obsessive craftsmen, or even Porsches that were designed and mass-produced by fanatic "ex"-*****.
They were designed to last five years in good condition, maybe another five if you were lucky and didn't mind driving a rustbucket, and then be thrown away.
They are valuable now, in part because it's so improbable that any survived at all.

- Eric
I agree to a point they are mass produced I wouldn't go so far as to say they are junk. I always wondered why do we love these cars so much????
Old March 15th, 2017, 09:32 AM

Smile Documentation

Originally Posted by allyolds68
Thanx for the info!
Old December 2nd, 2017, 07:00 PM

This "documentation" thing seems like a cloud. I have to wonder what "documentation" I should be searching for in my car.
I ordered a 1970 Olds 4-4-2, W-30 and picked it up on April 23rd 1970. I have the car tucked away in the garage. I think the protecto plate is still there, and I recall taking the back seat out and finding "some paper" (which I put back before reinstalling the seat). From reading this thread, I now know what a "broadcast card" is. I think the window sticker got ruined when removed, but I am not sure.
RALPH
Old December 2nd, 2017, 07:07 PM

Check the front seat(s) as well.....broadcast cards commonly found hog-ringed to the seat frame behind the bucket seat plastic back or possibly slipped into the underside area.

Also pull both door sill plates and check under the carpet....not uncommon to find a broadcast card slipped under the carpet typically near the front floorwell area.

If you're real industrious pull both halves of the carpet up (or just lift up and look) and see if there are any other forms, "docs", etc slipped in under there....both front and rear carpets.
Old December 2nd, 2017, 08:45 PM

sheet

I found two in mar hardtop w30.
One hog ringed to the rear bottom cushion the other under the carpet driver side. Man, I have never seen a car with two sheets...wow