locked out help!

Old March 30th, 2008, 05:49 AM

Unhappy locked out help!

My progress on my 67 442 Conv. has been slow but steady until yesterday. My wife and I were replacing the door locks and the passenger door accidently shut. Don't know what happened but now I can't open the door. Tried the inner and outer lock mechanism and both door handles but it is locked somehow. I can reach all the parts on the inside of the door but still can't get it to releae. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Any help would be greatly appreaciated.
Thanks,
Gary
Old March 30th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Just did the door locks on my 67 a few weeks ago. I know the little bracket that actuates the lock has to be on right. And I think there are 4 possible positions. Not sure if I can explain this, but here goes. Holding the lock as it goes in the car, flat side of the key up, the bracket should set at 90 deg. The bracket needs to be able to freely swivel up, so the inside (manual) lock will be able to work. As you are holding the door lock in relation to the side of the car you are working on, turning the top of the key towards the front of the car should lift the bracket to unlock the door.

Also, the bracket needs to have the lock rod from the door latch hooked in it. If the bracket is above the rod you might have the problem you describe. If the lock rod is hooked in the bracket take the door locks out and start over.

Hope this helps, Don
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:22 PM

Thanks for your response. I have both door panels off as I was installing the locks. I don't think the locks are the problem I tried moving all the lock and door mechanisms and everything seems to move freely but it won't unlatch. The other door is not working correctly either. The door won't open from the outside handles (which are new repros) but that door does open from the inside handle. This wasn't a problem before the car went to the body shop. I can't tell for sure if they removed the latches. But they might have missplaced the linkage when they installed the door handles. I will give them a call. I will also ordwer the bodyshop manual very soon. In case I need new latches, where can I find them? Year one didn't list them for 66-67.
thanks for your help. I will reinspect the rods to see if they are in the correct positions.
Gary
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:12 AM
rocket69

Luckily for you it happened to be a convertible

Old April 1st, 2008, 06:56 PM

The body shop installed the new outside door handles. I'm thinking that maybe they bent the plunger to long and the mechanism isn't retracting all the way. I hope to investigate this tomorrow eve when I get home. I can't think of anything else as the doors worked fine with the original handles.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 06:48 PM

problem solved! body shop installed the door handles wrong. I shortened the plungers and all is well. Now it's back on track.