1968 olds 442 post value stock or mods

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2012, 07:00 AM

1968 olds 442 post value stock or mods

hi i have a 1968 olds 442 with 87,000 original miles that has been in the family since 1974 with my mother being the 2nd registered owner,and me the 3rd.
we grew up in the gas stations step dad bought 3 2 in worthington 1 in mountain lake mn. he built the 442's my mom bracket raced them at thunder valley dragways in marion south dakota in the 70's

my delima is it is a 400 with c heads turbo 400 automatic,dealer installed air under the dash good condition. power drum front brakes it seems like they put some balanced steel drums on for race,bench seat.
car is lite metallic blue with white and black interior,white seat,door panels head liner rest is black.

i currently have the body off the frame ,and almost ready to blast the frame and components ,think i am going to go for the por paint versus powder.

trying to figure out if i am better off sticking with stock brakes(drums) or go with 4 wheel discs, i am keeping stock motor do i build and use or build a 455 or get a mondello motor? i don't want to keep interior white would rather switch to black due to white yellowing,or is it more valuable stock?
i would like to switch to buckts but could keep bench,i would like to switch the color to either a flawless black with a gold,red or white 442 stripe,also thought about doing a partial hurst olds clone maybe the silver and black? also thought about useing the spoiler on back.

i want to finish the car to take my mom for a ride in it before she passes maybe let her drive it,she is 68 was in hospital for week and therapy nursing for 6 weeks but is back home now.

do i leave it completely stock or do i make how i want it? do i install the factory tic toc tac that is still in the gm box they bought from the dealer in the 70's or do i trade for parts? i need 1/4's but don't see any full 1/4's floor and trunk rockers are solid some surface rust in 3 places,lower windshield dash area rusted thru about 8 inches, lower fenders i will have to fix. i wanted to use the turbo 400 and a stall but i also want to build a 455 to abought 450-500 horse i know i will probably have to get heads from mondello,or edelbrock and try porting myself since heads are around 859 each plus they need to be ported. if i had the 10 grandi would buy the mondello 455 with the 10 year warranty too many choices leave it bone stock eith a mild build or make what i want,i could always build the chevelle i got to go fast but theres nothing better then standing behind a 68or 69 442 thats built and hear the exhaust from the back. any ideas?
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:51 AM

Great story. I really like 68's, and we like pictures here.

It will keep a higher value if you build it as close to original with the numbers matching engine. If you go 455, keep your original engine. Switching the front drums to disk was on of the best upgrades I did on my car. I like the pearl interior that my car had, it was not too hot to sit on in the summer. Legendary Auto Interiors is hands down the best interiors.

I'm more in the stock-looking crowd. Keep it original or slightly modified. Keep the stock color and interior from the data plate on the cowl. However, in the end it is YOUR car. Do what makes you happy.

Be sure to do your homework on a 455 BEFORE calling the company you mentioned. $10k will build you a killer 455 from other sources. Use your C heads that you already have if you want to keep an authentic stock appearance. A well though out engine with those heads and a valve job and modern cam grind should get you +/- 400 hp and plenty of torque.

Have fun with it, and update us with pictures.
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:17 AM

ok so keep stock interior for value? like white seats,door panels and headliner instead of black? also stock color for value? i wasn't sure if the upgrades would offset the difference since i know a clone chevelle ss is worth more then the stock malibu and more desirable,the trouble with that color is trying to keep it clean.
where is a good spot to post the pictures? and how many is too many? also is there a good pixal size thats better to use for download speeds? i'm not the best with down loading
Old April 17th, 2012, 09:21 AM

lol i see you like moto x too huh? i just sold my kx250 miss it but i am 47 and things start hurting alot worse now
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:40 AM

Hi,

I feel your pain, I felt the same way you do. I'm building a 68 442 vert right now. I'm not much of a stock guy but my car is a high optioned car and almost begs to be stock. I don't have the heart to change it. I love the exhaust note too! I'm probably going to build the engine stock and dress it with a set of magnaflow mufflers!

I think you should build yours the way you like it and not worry about anything else! Live is short!

There is now such thing as "too many pictures!" Post em all!

Craig
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:42 AM

Hey Tom, saw the pics in another thread. Looks like a good start. A lot of work ahead!

I wanted to mention that POR15 is NOT a frame paint. It is a paint designed to cover rust, yet most people are under the assumption that it is the do-all, end-all frame paint. That is not the case.

With that said, if I do it again, I will powder coat or epoxy prime and cover with a single stage urethane. There are also heavy duty paints available that are used for tractors or semi trucks.

As for moto, I sold my last bike in '07 ('03 YZ250). Now the prices on used bikes have been driven up to the point that I have not got another one. Into downhill mountain biking now... Even at 36, bones take a long time to heal.
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:38 PM

I kept mine fairly stock except for the 455. 8" is a lot of dash rust. That's going to take some work.

One of my friends grew up in mountain lake, Mn. Small world