442 ram air hood

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2016, 03:26 AM

I recently bought a thortons ram air hood for my 71 cutlass. perfect fit. worth the 2500 dollars. good luck
Old February 1st, 2017, 03:51 PM

I bought a re-pro non-metal frame hood that was used. It's on my Cutlass. Don't know who the supplier was. The gentlemen I got it from bought it from someone who took it off his car and bought a Thornton. I had a lot of trouble with it. The bolt holes are 2 hex nuts glued together then molded in the hood. After a dry fit I tried to take it off and one of the nuts popped and the bolt got stuck. I had to cut it off the hinge. Then had to cut the underside of the hood to get it out. Used 2 part epoxy with the a new single stud type nut. It didn't hold. When I did put the hood on the springs that came with it they wouldn't hold the hood up. It was also bowed in the front and lines on the side didn't match up. Since my budget didn't allow for much I deal with it.

Best thing about a metal frame is the secondary lock incase your hood pins get undone & you start to drive without noticing them. Recipe for disaster without this. The all fiberglass ones that I've seen don't allow for this.

Originally Posted by David DeCan
Does anyone have pics of what a "poor fitting OAI hood" looks like? It's a cost thing. $2500 plus shipping for a Thornton is too much--you get what you pay for I guess. How bad is "poor fitment"? Mine car is a 70 Cutlass/442/W30 CLONE. Driver. Convertible. Thanks.
I'll try to send you some pics.

Originally Posted by steinec
I've never purchased a hood from them, but haven't had good results with OPG on anything. 3 orders, 3 miffs. They fixed 2 of them, but the third was, well, strike 3.
I had bad experiences with them as well. I get the impression they cater to Chevy and everything else is second class if that good. I talked with management and they tried to convince me that their parts are exact replicas & the original I had it my hand from GM was incorrect. Not the case with anything I've received or read on this site. Imagine that, the car manufacturer screwed up. Stopped using them after the second time and will not even by parts off a private seller if it has their name on it.

There is a thread that lists good and bad suppliers. It's worth a look before you order.