1970 Steel OAI Hood Fact or Fantasy

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2010, 08:31 AM

1970 Steel OAI Hood Fact or Fantasy

Hey Guys! I ran across a guy at my local cruise night,he has a 72 SX.He swears a high school buddy bought new and still owns a 70 442 with a steel OAI hood not just the frame underneath but the whole hood.I've been fooling with oldsmobile for many years and have never even heard of anything like this. Personally I think he is full of sh*t but he said he would get me over to his friends garage to see it. Can anybody out there confirm this hoods existence if so it has to be super rare I'm thinking prototype.
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:38 AM

I'd guess if it was a prototype it be on a 70 not a 72. He probably saw the metal frame underneath and thought wow its metal
Old September 18th, 2010, 08:48 AM

That is what I said and showed him the bottom of mineand he went to the scoops on top and said they were steel on his friends hood
Old September 18th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Oldsdruid

Dollar to a dime says it's a glass hood, or a steel hood that's had 'glass scoops moulded onto it. I can only imagine the stamping problems you'd encounter trying to make a W25 hood in metal.

Dollar to a grand says his car's not a 1972 SX, since those were made only in 70-71.
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Where's Kurt's BS meter when you need it...

Now, my 68 W-30 has a metal O.A.I. hood. Of course, the O.A.I. is under the bumper.
Old September 18th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Where's Kurt's BS meter when you need it...
Attached Images
File Type: gif
BS MeterDetector.gif (51.4 KB, 55 views)
Old September 18th, 2010, 04:30 PM

I love that.

WOOOT!! First post on the new computer. My old one (9 years to be exact) finally died on thrusday.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:19 PM

If you get a chance to go over and look at it, take a magnet along and let us know what you find.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 01:34 PM
Land Yacht Captain

crazy.gif

Last edited by 66ninetyeightls; September 22nd, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:14 PM

He is full of it if he has a 72 sx,,,, they didnt make such a thing. not sure about the hood though.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 04:55 PM

I'm with Rocketraider on this one.......it would be impossible to stamp the top of the hood from one piece of metal. There would be no way to make a provision in the stamping for the rectangular scoop inlets. Although it would probably be lighter than the "lightweight" fiberglass hoods we all have, if it could be done.

bob
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobb
I'm with Rocketraider on this one.......it would be impossible to stamp the top of the hood from one piece of metal. There would be no way to make a provision in the stamping for the rectangular scoop inlets. Although it would probably be lighter than the "lightweight" fiberglass hoods we all have, if it could be done.

bob
They hydroform body panels now, a lot more can be done. The panels can have much more complex shapes and recesses, sharp bends and curves that would normally be too thin or break through with conventional stamping.
I don't think the scoop inlets would be a problem but I'm no engineer, never owned a slide rule or holster for one.
The coolest geeks in my high school packed holstered slide rules on each hip and had pockets on both sides of their shirts with fully stocked pen protectors in them.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting if it is possible to make that hood all metal. They won't even do original type colored rubber floor mats for the most popular Oldsmobile models.

http://www.thefabricator.com/article.../liquid-curves
Old September 24th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Come on. The Chinese can make anything now!!!!! Nice lightweight Chinesium sitting on your hood would make any man proud.
Old September 24th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Come on. The Chinese can make anything now!!!!! Nice lightweight Chinesium sitting on your hood would make any man proud.
For sure! ....................til it blows off........
Old September 24th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Kurt you and I both know it would rust away to nothing long before it blew off!!!

Originally Posted by wmachine
For sure! ....................til it blows off........
Old September 24th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

Why do folks think it would be so difficult to stamp the contours of an O.A.I.hood out of metal? Heck, GM was able to stamp the very contoured fenders on my 52 Chevy truck. I do find it both amusing and depressing, however, that when GM first built the SSR, which was loosely based on the styling of the 1948-54 Chevy pickups, they were unable to form the fenders and had to go offshore. How far the mighty have fallen...
Old September 24th, 2010, 09:11 AM

The frame plant that I work at. We stamp all our own parts. It wouldn't be hard at all to stamp a O.A.I. hood. G.M. could have if they wanted. They could have used the same tool that ran the stock hood and changed out a few die blocks or build another tool for it.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; September 24th, 2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old September 24th, 2010, 10:38 AM
bil

I think it is a matter of material-fender and other parts are folded and bent in the stamping process.To make the scoops into the hood in one piece would require a lot of stretching of the metal in the center.I don't think there is enough material.As it stretches,it gets thinner.It can only stretch so much before it is way too thin. Even louver punches thin the metal.Look at it as square inches-where would the extra come from? ---bil
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:22 AM

See my car in the sig? It's all original. Oh, the hood? The car is the love child of a 72 W30 and a 73 442.
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bil
I think it is a matter of material-fender and other parts are folded and bent in the stamping process.To make the scoops into the hood in one piece would require a lot of stretching of the metal in the center.I don't think there is enough material.As it stretches,it gets thinner.It can only stretch so much before it is way too thin. Even louver punches thin the metal.Look at it as square inches-where would the extra come from? ---bil
The sheet metal used in stamping a hood (or any other body panel) is significantly larger than the finished part. When a feature is formed (like a scoop or a fender flare, or whatever) the metal is drawn inward, shrinking the outer perimeter. Once the panel is formed to the final shape (which may take several hits with different dies) THEN the outer shape is trimmed.

Louvers are typically pressed on finished parts. THAT'S the difference.
Old September 28th, 2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I do find it both amusing and depressing, however, that when GM first built the SSR, which was loosely based on the styling of the 1948-54 Chevy pickups, they were unable to form the fenders and had to go offshore. How far the mighty have fallen...
GM shut down the Fisher Body plant in my town about a year ago. It took them a lot longer to shut it down than they expected. Every time they tried to move production of a particular stamping to another plant, that plant struggled with quality problems. So they kept moving production back here until they got it right. It's closed now though. Big empty shell. Thousands of jobs lost.

Last edited by BlackGold; September 28th, 2010 at 05:32 PM.