Howdy - should I get it?

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2010, 06:25 AM

Howdy - should I get it?

Hello

I'm obviously new here, and I have a question or two.

I don't have a 442 yet, but might be getting one. My neighbor has a 442 convertible, I think a 68, that has been sitting for years. After some pestering from a friend of mine, he seems willing to sell it finally. I know this would be a huge project, but don't know just how big. My biggest concern is what I don't know I don't know.

I am sure there is rust. I have seen it on the quarter pannels, and bottom of the front fenders. I don't see how the floor pans would not be shot, given the top is gone. I have started looking online, and it appears there are some repo body parts and trim. We are fairly dry in Colorado, so I am hoping the car won't completely fall apart when I move it.

I assume all the running gear and driveline will need rebuilt or replaced, since it has not moved or started under it's own power in 20+ years.

So, any advice on what to look at or for? Anything to watch out for? I assume a convertible is worth bringing back if it can be saved.

Thanks

Kevin
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:32 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I'd hate to see your first one be a disappointment. Get a buddy or someone who know whats what to look it over real good for you. I'd pluck it like a chicken. If there is rust you can see chances are there's more rust you can't see.

Read, read, read BEFORE you buy. That's the best advice you can get.

There are probably some guys on this forum near you who could help ya out. Check out the site map for somone near ya.

Good luck.

Remeber "Ya got to kiss alot of frogs to meet a prince." This isn't the only car out there so Don't fall in love.
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Cutlass Lover

Welcome to our site! Jamesbo gave ya some great advice... I'd follow it!
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:04 AM

Any suggestions on what to start reading?

Where would one find the site map. I did a quick search and didn't find it.
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:08 AM

Talking Welcom to CO

I agree with Jamsbo, restoring a car is a large project and it is easy to get discouraged if the project has to many problems. If you have never done this before I would suggest that your first car be at least a runner with a mostly rust free body. A junk yard dog restoration is tough show
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by 3pedal
Any suggestions on what to start reading?

Where would one find the site map. I did a quick search and didn't find it.

Well for starters, I read some of the major restoration threads here. I'd also read some of the problems people have with rust in floors, doors, fenders etc.

Here's the site map they may help ya find and Olds buddy
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...obile-map.html
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
I agree with Jamsbo, restoring a car is a large project and it is easy to get discouraged if the project has to many problems. If you have never done this before I would suggest that your first car be at least a runner with a mostly rust free body. A junk yard dog restoration is tough show

I have not done anything this big before, and very little body work, but have worked on Mustangs a fair amount, so I sort of know what I am getting into. I don't have any experience or knowledge with classic Olds though.

I will look for some resto threads to see what I can learn.

I looked at the map, and no one is located in Colorado, at least on the map.
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by 3pedal

I looked at the map, and no one is located in Colorado, at least on the map.

Huh?

Well maybe Bluevista could drop by on one of his many trips to Vegas.
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Yuo will have a lot more fun if you spend a little extra money on something that's in decent shape and above all buy something you like! Too many guys go and buy something because it was a good deal and then let it fall apart because it's not quite the car they always wanted.
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by geowindow6768
Yuo will have a lot more fun if you spend a little extra money on something that's in decent shape and above all buy something you like! Too many guys go and buy something because it was a good deal and then let it fall apart because it's not quite the car they always wanted.

I'm not concerned about liking the car. I am not out activly looking for a 442, but I would like a convertible muscle car, and this would fit the bill, and be a little different than most peoples. I like that.

I am concerned about its condition. I just don't know enough about these to know for sure about this car. If it was a Mustang, I would be able to tell, but I know the places to look. I am 95% sure if it was a Mustang it would already be at my place.

My first task, if I get it, is simply to stop the deterioration. Get it up on blocks, clean out the crap and cover it. I hate seeing cars that could be saved fall apart beyond saving.
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:08 PM

Sorry - I haven't had the time to add myself to the new map, but I'm on there now. I live East of Parker Colorado. I'm primarily into 66 & 67 442's but I'm an enthusiast of all Oldsmobiles. I'm not as knowlegeable as many of the members on this site but I do have a pretty good idea of what to look for when purchasing an Olds. I wish you were a little more enthusiastic about Oldsmobiles in general but hopefully you will become a fan if you buy one. I do like the fact that you'd like to try to save the car. PM me if you'd like some help.

Mark
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:11 AM

There ya go "Seek and ye shall find"
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:51 AM
is Fast Enough ...

pics plz ...

underneath shots ...

Old March 26th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Huh?

Well maybe Bluevista could drop by on one of his many trips to Vegas.

That Redgoat guy may have been there, that's his kind of town, I've never been there myself.

Would have to see pics and really know the extent of the rust to be able to give any good advice, depends on how much the guy wants too.
If it is a real 442 convertible that changes the normal equation a lot, original engine? At least the roof won't be rusted out. The cowl area below the widshield and into the dash is an area prone to bad rust, have to look under the trim sometimes to find the holes.
Be a nice ride, cool that it's a neighbor and you can take your time checking it out.
Old March 26th, 2010, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista

Would have to see pics and really know the extent of the rust to be able to give any good advice, depends on how much the guy wants too.
If it is a real 442 convertible that changes the normal equation a lot, original engine? At least the roof won't be rusted out. The cowl area below the widshield and into the dash is an area prone to bad rust, have to look under the trim sometimes to find the holes.
Be a nice ride, cool that it's a neighbor and you can take your time checking it out.

I will try to get some pics today. I can't get under it right now, but that is on the list of things to do.

I beleive it is a real 442 convertible, unknown about the engine. My neighbor is sure it has a 455, but from what I can tell, in 68 that wasn't offered. I have not been able to open the hood yet, so I have not been able to take a look. I need to air up the tires and pull it away from the fence to fiddle with it. The latch is stuck.

He offered it to me for $1,000. The greedy side of me figures if it can't be saved, it could be parted out for more than that.

Originally Posted by halffast
I wish you were a little more enthusiastic about Oldsmobiles in general but hopefully you will become a fan if you buy one.
I am getting more enthusiastic by the day as I do research. At this point, by concerns center around how bad the condition is (I know it isn't good) and how easy it is to get parts. This would be a much more fun car than the 85 Royal Broughm I had in the 90's.
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:03 AM

I would look into a car that is close to done or a solid driver That way you can use it find out if it is a car you want to stick more money than you want to in it and not feel bad or pissed at it .
Old March 26th, 2010, 04:14 AM

I would say that if the top is gone and it is outside for 20 years it is going to be a parts car at best. Make sure to check the frame for rust right behind and above the rear wheels , also if you can pull the rear bumper off with your bare hands you probably dont want it. Go ahead and laugh but I have done it twice when buying parts cars . Ok One of those times I had it hooked to a chain on my truck to drag it out of a yard because the rear brakes were locked up , a sledge hammer took care of the brake problem..
Old March 26th, 2010, 05:18 PM

Here area a few quick pictures. It is starting to rain, so I can't, or really won't get down in the mud right now to get some pics of the frame.

442inyard01.jpg

442inyard02.jpg

442inyard03.jpg

442inyard04.jpg
Old March 26th, 2010, 06:12 PM

WTH didn't sum body cover it up?
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
WTH didn't sum body cover it up?
There was an old dump truck cover on it for a while, but he gave that to a friend a few months ago. In the last 9 years, sometimes is has had a cover, and sometimes it has not.

Buddies would come over and we would look at it over the fence and wonder the same thing.

At this point, I am wondering if there is a way to stop any further deterioration until I could decide what to do with it. Could you pull all the soft stuff out, dry it completely, then shrink wrap it like a boat? I expect it would take me a couple of years to save up the cash to do what I would want with this thing.
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:24 PM

That just gave me a sinking filling, I do not like. I fell like I am watching some die.
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:28 PM

The crazy thing is he has a second 2 car garage in is back yard with an empty spot he has offered to let me store my Mustang in when I have needed to leave it out. Multiple times I have offered to help him move the 442 inside so it does not get any worse. He figures he took the drain plugs out of the floor, so it will all be fine.
Old March 27th, 2010, 04:47 AM

Ouch,

Still it might repeat might be worth $1000 in parts if the frame is still good.
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:08 AM

Yeah that would scare the crap out of me. You need to jack it up and look at the frame. Just looking at the pics you know the floors, and trunk have to be gone. At most if it has a good frame it might be worth 500 bucks. This car is going to be a money pit.
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:22 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Why do people do that! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

looks to be a total high dollar resto if you were to to get it.....Another option if the price is right is to flip it and buy a more completed project........Jerr