First time owner and new member

Old January 14th, 2010, 10:00 AM

First time owner and new member

Does anyone here know of a place that I don't already know about that sells the original restrictor part that is shown on the large vent hose coming out of the gas tank as shown in my original factory assembly manual for our 1968 442 convertible?

Last edited by 1968 442 convertible; January 14th, 2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Past Administrator

Hard to say, what places do you already know about?

Welcome to CO.
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:56 PM

Thankyou for the welcoming. OPG, Year One, and I can name all the others if you like? I'm shocked by all the views to my question and I only have gotten your one reply so far. I was on this site for most of the day yesterday before I became a member and I must have seen at least ten questions or more I imagine that were basicaly the same as mine, must have been in adifferent catagory. Anyway I heard some people say that you could also use the small vent line also and hook them both up to a 1969 442 vent valve and I don't know about this because, I do not have a factory manual for that year also. Ours has the small vent hose open I assume as in our factory assembly manual it doesn't show another part on the end of that hose. And the part they call a restrictor on the big hose looks like it just goes in the inside end of the hose. I am redoing the fuel system on our car and want it to be as original as possible. And also as safe as possible.
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:04 PM

Welcome to the site.
Old January 15th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Past Administrator

Joe may have some more information on the part you need, perhaps even a part number to help you search. In the meantime, maybe you could check out Fusicks or Kanter, as they both do a lot of special stuff for Oldsmobile.
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:00 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard

I just saw that "W' is up and posting maybe he could help ya out.
Old January 15th, 2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by 1968 442 convertible
Thankyou for the welcoming. OPG, Year One, and I can name all the others if you like? I'm shocked by all the views to my question and I only have gotten your one reply so far. I was on this site for most of the day yesterday before I became a member and I must have seen at least ten questions or more I imagine that were basicaly the same as mine, must have been in adifferent catagory. Anyway I heard some people say that you could also use the small vent line also and hook them both up to a 1969 442 vent valve and I don't know about this because, I do not have a factory manual for that year also. Ours has the small vent hose open I assume as in our factory assembly manual it doesn't show another part on the end of that hose. And the part they call a restrictor on the big hose looks like it just goes in the inside end of the hose. I am redoing the fuel system on our car and want it to be as original as possible. And also as safe as possible.

If you are looking for the original style vent forget it. The 69 style that use both hoses are available (I assume still are) from Supercars Unlimited.
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:09 PM

Hello Tony

Originally Posted by 1ATony
Welcome to the site.
Thankyou for the greeting to the site.
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM

Thankyou.

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Joe may have some more information on the part you need, perhaps even a part number to help you search. In the meantime, maybe you could check out Fusicks or Kanter, as they both do a lot of special stuff for Oldsmobile.
Dan,
Who's Joe? Yes I have a couple of older catalogs from Kanter and one old one from Fusick from when we use to have our black 1961 two door Ninety - Eight bubble top coupe. I thought that those two just specialized in more older cars like that.
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM

Yes I have a couple of older catalogs from Kanter and one old one from Fusick from when we use to have our black 1961 two door Ninety - Eight bubble top coupe. I thought that those two just specialized in more older cars like that.
Well, I guess we can now add Fusick to your "place I don't already know about" list. They SPECIALIZE in Oldsmobiles of yours's vintage. Go to www.fusick.com and download their Cutlass catalog. That'll get you up to speed.
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the welcomeing

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Welcome aboard

I just saw that "W' is up and posting maybe he could help ya out.
Jamesbo who is "W"? And I appreciate you letting us know about him / her.
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:26 PM

We appreciate it

Originally Posted by Nilsson
If you are looking for the original style vent forget it. The 69 style that use both hoses are available (I assume still are) from Supercars Unlimited.
Nilsson i don't give up when it comes to our cars, I'll keep looking and we appreciate it. And yes I have seen the picture of the one that is on Supercars Unlimited web site for a 1969.
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:28 PM

Welcome to CO from another '68 Cutlass convertible owner (along w/the LongTop Wagon). Joe Padavano is one of the great guru's on this site that seem to know everything. Joe has been a technician for 35+ years on Oldsmobile's, and reallly knows his stuff. I'm sure that sometime over the weekend he will respond with specific information as to your needs. Once again, a warm welcome to a great Oldsmobile site!
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:49 PM

who is "W"?
George W. Bush. Former president. And it's pronounced "dub-yah."
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Thanks Aron and I hope to hear from Mr. Padavano soon. also I appreciate the welcomeing.
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:33 PM

jaunty75,
Downloaded their catalog and couldn't even find one in their catalog. Guess I'll have to make another long distance phone call.
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:38 PM

I knew he was an Olds guy

Originally Posted by jaunty75
George W. Bush. Former president. And it's pronounced "dub-yah."
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:41 PM

Downloaded their catalog and couldn't even find one in their catalog. Guess I'll have to make another long distance phone call.
I never claimed that they have any particular part. My point was that Fusick is about as Oldsmobile-centric as it gets in the old car hobby, and if you haven't tried them for what you need, you should. Your earlier post, where you said you had an old catalog of theirs and it was for the big cars made it sound like you weren't aware that they sold A-body parts.

But calling them is a good idea because all you can get by download is their base catalog. When they send you a paper one, it usually has an insert with one-off parts that they happened to get hold of that might not be regularly available, so they don't want to put them in their regular catalog.
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:05 PM

We know you were just trying to help

Back then we might not have been aware that they had catalogs for the 442 model. We just think that it's not right to be charged for another catalog after we have already purchased one from them before already. Or have to purchase one of their parts again after we already have bought somthing from them in the past. We already located that part from Super Cars Unlimited and also The Parts Supply. Thanks again.
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:34 PM

We just think that it's not right to be charged for another catalog after we have already purchased one from them before already.
They charge you for a catalog? I didn't realize that. I've gotten them for free at the OCA Nationals and at Fall Hershey from their booth. I agree that that is quite annoying. I think if you do order something, though, they throw one in for free with the shipment. But you shouldn't have to buy something to get a catalog.

Glad to hear you found your part.
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:32 AM

You would think if someone who owns a business and wants to potentialy make any money at it they would be happy to have their catalogs flying off of the shevles to get new customers and also to keep their old ones as well.
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Past Administrator

Dan,
Who's Joe? Yes I have a couple of older catalogs from Kanter and one old one from Fusick from when we use to have our black 1961 two door Ninety - Eight bubble top coupe. I thought that those two just specialized in more older cars like that.
Sorry for the vague reply. Joe is out technical guru, Joe Padavano.
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:03 AM

Hi Dan,
No problem and I'm still waiting to hear from him about that part.
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:09 AM

Hi Dan,
No problem and I'm still waiting to hear from him about that part.
Old January 18th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Randy C.

Greetings and welcome to the site! This is a great place to learn a lot from those who know. The folks have already identified Joe P. - I don't know if he will respond to this thread but he will jump in on a lot of technical issues - I would say he's the Oldsmobile guru - he certainly knows much, much, much more than I do.

"W" might be Wmachine. He's real sharp on technical issues, too - note the recent discussion on what the proper trunk arrangement is, as well as SSI wheels on '68 442s. And there is a host of others here that can impart an incredible amount of detailed knowledge to and for you.

The gas tank vent you talked about - I had the same issue with my car and wasn't quite sure what to do. I still don't know what that substance is inside one of the tubes, but mine was shot (both the tube and the substance in the tube). Whatever it is, it isn't available, either. The '68 assembly manual refers to it as a "restrictor" - part number 398339 - and says that it must be installed flush with the end of the vent hose. I used a piece of foamy ear plug and just stuck it in there - the material looked similar. You can also install the "fuel tank vent surge" piece used starting in the '69 models. I know someone reproduces them but I can't find it right now in any of my catalogs.

Sources of supply: My favorite was Fusick. They were always right there for me - parts got shipped across the country in just a few days - couldn't beat them for what they have available and their knowledge. Their web site is www.fusick.com. I believe their catalog is on line.

Year One (www.yearone.com) also did a lot for me. They rebuilt my gas tank sending unit and calibrated it with the fuel gauge. They also had a lot of parts I needed and were responsive to my phone calls and questions.

Another source I used a lot was Supercars Unlimited (www.supercarsunlimited.com). All they do is Cutlass and 442. They deal almost solely with engine and driveline parts (you won't find interiors and replacement body panels here). If you call them, you will probably talke with Greg Rollin, who knows a lot about 442s. I found them to be quite helpful. You can view their catalog on line, too.

I also bought a few items from Brothers Automotive Products. You might hear varying views of their performance, but the did well for me. They had a few items that were more original looking in appearance and/or material than the other vendors, so I went with them.

There are other sources of supply as well, but these were the main ones I used.

Hope this helps some. And, all bias aside (yeah, sure!), you have one of the greatest looking 442s ever built!

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_1264.jpg (63.3 KB, 15 views)
1968Olds442rear.jpg (45.5 KB, 13 views)
Olds442rear68conv.jpg (25.1 KB, 14 views)
Olds68442conv4.jpg (49.2 KB, 14 views)
Olds68442conv6.jpg (69.8 KB, 15 views)
Old January 18th, 2010, 08:19 PM
GM Enthusiast

Welcome to the site! Randy mentioned all the great places to find parts in his reply, and I will also 2nd Brothers. They usually have what most other places carry but, most of the time, they cost less. You can download their catalog for free: www.oldsparts.com

Good luck finding what you need.
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:33 PM

DR. W HUH! rcorrigan5

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Greetings and welcome to the site! This is a great place to learn a lot from those who know. The folks have already identified Joe P. - I don't know if he will respond to this thread but he will jump in on a lot of technical issues - I would say he's the Oldsmobile guru - he certainly knows much, much, much more than I do.

"W" might be Wmachine. He's real sharp on technical issues, too - note the recent discussion on what the proper trunk arrangement is, as well as SSI wheels on '68 442s. And there is a host of others here that can impart an incredible amount of detailed knowledge to and for you.

The gas tank vent you talked about - I had the same issue with my car and wasn't quite sure what to do. I still don't know what that substance is inside one of the tubes, but mine was shot (both the tube and the substance in the tube). Whatever it is, it isn't available, either. The '68 assembly manual refers to it as a "restrictor" - part number 398339 - and says that it must be installed flush with the end of the vent hose. I used a piece of foamy ear plug and just stuck it in there - the material looked similar. You can also install the "fuel tank vent surge" piece used starting in the '69 models. I know someone reproduces them but I can't find it right now in any of my catalogs.

Sources of supply: My favorite was Fusick. They were always right there for me - parts got shipped across the country in just a few days - couldn't beat them for what they have available and their knowledge. Their web site is www.fusick.com. I believe their catalog is on line.

Year One (www.yearone.com) also did a lot for me. They rebuilt my gas tank sending unit and calibrated it with the fuel gauge. They also had a lot of parts I needed and were responsive to my phone calls and questions.

Another source I used a lot was Supercars Unlimited (www.supercarsunlimited.com). All they do is Cutlass and 442. They deal almost solely with engine and driveline parts (you won't find interiors and replacement body panels here). If you call them, you will probably talke with Greg Rollin, who knows a lot about 442s. I found them to be quite helpful. You can view their catalog on line, too.

I also bought a few items from Brothers Automotive Products. You might hear varying views of their performance, but the did well for me. They had a few items that were more original looking in appearance and/or material than the other vendors, so I went with them.

There are other sources of supply as well, but these were the main ones I used.

Hope this helps some. And, all bias aside (yeah, sure!), you have one of the greatest looking 442s ever built!

Randy C.
Hello Randy C.,
We appreciate all of your help, very much!
1968 442 convertible
Old January 19th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Hello OLD SKL 69

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Welcome to the site! Randy mentioned all the great places to find parts in his reply, and I will also 2nd Brothers. They usually have what most other places carry but, most of the time, they cost less. You can download their catalog for free: www.oldsparts.com

Good luck finding what you need.
Thankyou also for the information and I'm also from Long Island originaly too.
Old August 26th, 2012, 06:55 PM

I know this subject is 2+ years old, but I found a reproduction replacement from Fusick's or Inline Tube at Carlisle earlier this year. It exactly matches the old set that I replaced it with. There is a thicker and a thinner tube, and as Randy C. has stated, the thick one has a spongy insert at the top to allow air to pass, but not fuel. they come a little long and have to be cut down for exact length fit to old one. I was very happy to replace mine as it was partially dry-rotted.