MECUM '70 4-SPEED CONV...

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2009, 11:58 AM

MECUM '70 4-SPEED CONV...

Hey All,
Was watching Mecum last week and saw this beautifil W-25 cross the line and wondered what you all thought it might be worth? I had a friend at the auction and he said there was lot's of documentation and that it was very well done. Have always loved the drop tops and the fact it's a 4-speed makes it even more desireable. Was a "No Sale" @ 55K......

www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=CH1009-84957
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Trying to remember member

That car is not a W25, it is a 442. With a W25 hood option. A Cutlass could be had with a W25 hood. W25 hood is standard with the W30 and W31 packages.
Yes, the description of the car on their site is the typically ignorant information that we've come to expect from sellers venues. They talk about a W25 like it is a performance engine option package like W30.
Sorry, I know that isn't an answer to your question.
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:55 PM

That was a very nice car. The last one ( blue ) sold last year at Mecum for 90k.
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM

I saw both those cars, actually I couldn't understand why the 72 HO hardtop was bid so low - it was nice too. I thought the maroon car and the 70 W30 4-speed Astro Blue car where great looking cars and done very well, scary part is that I could still nit pic both of them to death, makes we wonder how many things I will find wrong with my car when it is done
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by stevengerard
..... scary part is that I could still nit pic both of them to death, makes we wonder how many things I will find wrong with my car when it is done
Why would you worry about that? We all could if we wanted to. But what's the point? The only thing you need to worry about is whether you will be HAPPY with your car when it is done and whether you ENJOY driving it. Most everyone out there knows exactly what you are expressing. The thing is not to let that be the focus of your ride. Most people who want to nit pic are usually buyers or judges. If they can't appreciate what you've got and what you've done, they can keep on walking....cause they're not perfect either. IMO anyway.
Old October 14th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Allan R
Why would you worry about that? We all could if we wanted to. But what's the point? The only thing you need to worry about is whether you will be HAPPY with your car when it is done and whether you ENJOY driving it. Most everyone out there knows exactly what you are expressing. The thing is not to let that be the focus of your ride. Most people who want to nit pic are usually buyers or judges. If they can't appreciate what you've got and what you've done, they can keep on walking....cause they're not perfect either. IMO anyway.
X2
In many ways a new car could be picked apart for things that aren't right or perfect. I really don't know why there is this obsession about our cars having to be perfect. Why? "Perfect condition" has taken a front seat to correctness and certainly originality. I hardly let chips in the paint (for example) detract from my perception of what these great cars really are.
And I don't see where any apologies are needed for condition or things that are wrong. ("yeah, but it needs paint and......")
Bottom line like Allan said, enjoy it!!
Old October 14th, 2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
X2
In many ways a new car could be picked apart for things that aren't right or perfect. I really don't know why there is this obsession about our cars having to be perfect. Why? "Perfect condition" has taken a front seat to correctness and certainly originality. I hardly let chips in the paint (for example) detract from my perception of what these great cars really are.
And I don't see where any apologies are needed for condition or things that are wrong. ("yeah, but it needs paint and......")
Bottom line like Allan said, enjoy it!!

Well, I have been enjoying it the way it is for almost 15 years and with four children I have learned to "not worry" about it - as you guys say I enjoy it for what it is - and in the end it is only a car. But as of now I have so much more money into the restoration than I thought I would spend, I am just "worried" I will flip out over the details, so far I am not too concerned about what else needs to be done to make it "correct" I am just anxious to get it back so I can drive around the block with the family.

Last edited by stevengerard; October 14th, 2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: grammar
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:14 AM

Allan R, is ur 72 442 on ebay? it looks like the same car?
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jds442
Allan R, is ur 72 442 on ebay? it looks like the same car?
It is the same car. No it's not mine, but I love the pic.