1972 Cutlass core support bushings

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2009, 06:00 AM

1972 Cutlass core support bushings

Please help!!! I am doing a frame off restoration on my 1972 442 convertible. I am assembling the core support with the new bushings but I am not able to get a good example of exactly how the bushings are mounted. I know an assembly manual will need to be found soon but I really would like to get this done this week.

By the way- this site ROCKS. The amount of information located here is an awesome tool to have in keeping my 442 restoration going. Keep up the great work.

Tony
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:54 AM

I just did my 72 cutlass supreme and had to the the bushings as well. I ran into one issue with the bushing kit I bought.

I found that the kit I ordered was for a general A-body and the core support bushings they supplied were incorrect for Olds. The holes in the frame where the bushing should fit through were too small. The original bushings were square with a plastic shaft that went through the frame and had a rubber 'O' style bushing that slipped over the plastic shaft.

Lucky for me the the original core support bushings were still in good shape and were re-usable. The kit didn't include the bushing with the plastic insert. You might be able to modify the generic one supplied to you with a razor blade and some patience.
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by rescuegunner
Please help!!! I am doing a frame off restoration on my 1972 442 convertible. I am assembling the core support with the new bushings but I am not able to get a good example of exactly how the bushings are mounted. I know an assembly manual will need to be found soon but I really would like to get this done this week.

By the way- this site ROCKS. The amount of information located here is an awesome tool to have in keeping my 442 restoration going. Keep up the great work.

Tony

By the way; the order goes bolt, upper washer, core support, upper bushing, frame, lower bushing, washer, nut. LIke I said before you may have fitment issues with the generic A-body bushing.
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Thank you for your help. I did find that The Paddock Group has the correct style square bushing but without hardware. No luck with the other bushings you mentioned. Year One and Original Parts Group where trying to have me use Chevelle mounts- it is exactly the way you described and they are to big and not square.

If you get a chance can you take a picture of your set-up? That will give me a better idea of what I am looking at.

Also- inner rear wheel wells for a convertible? NOBODY (not even for a Chevelle) sells an A-Body convertible inner wheel well. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks again for your help and input. What you have told me so far is dead on.
Tony
Old June 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by rescuegunner
Thank you for your help. I did find that The Paddock Group has the correct style square bushing but without hardware. No luck with the other bushings you mentioned. Year One and Original Parts Group where trying to have me use Chevelle mounts- it is exactly the way you described and they are to big and not square.

If you get a chance can you take a picture of your set-up? That will give me a better idea of what I am looking at.

Also- inner rear wheel wells for a convertible? NOBODY (not even for a Chevelle) sells an A-Body convertible inner wheel well. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks again for your help and input. What you have told me so far is dead on.
Tony
Glad that the Paddock was able to help with the core support. If you buy the generic A-body kit all of the other bushings should work. The only difference was in the core support. They even supply the supplemental bushings for the Convertible.

I'll be working on my car over the next few days and if I can get my camera up there I'll snap a few pictures of my set up for you.

-Roman
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:32 PM

Exclamation

Don't waste your time with OPG, Year One or the Paddock.

Fusick has the correct bushings and hardware.

Plus, they know Olds....the other places hire people who don't give a crap about old cars.
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:12 AM

Smile Wheel wells

I was told to use hardtop wheel wells and modify the inner for convert....so I told my bodyman this info...and then after it is installed he tells me that the inner was fine (put in recess for top) but he had to section the outer but it is together now and looks good...this on a '68 442 convert
Old May 28th, 2018, 12:39 PM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by #1CutlassSupreme
By the way; the order goes bolt, upper washer, core support, upper bushing, frame, lower bushing, washer, nut. LIke I said before you may have fitment issues with the generic A-body bushing.
9 years later - exactly what I was looking for!

BTW can anybody direct me to the page in the '72 Cutlass Assy Manual where this is? I found the body bushings in SEC 2 PP 100, but no rad support (I presume it's the # 1 mount?)

Also, what's the torque spec for the bolt? Thanks for any info - mark

EDIT: Found the '72 Cutlass Assembly Manual reference: Sec 11, Page 172 Rad Supt Bushing Torque: 30-45 lb/ft

Last edited by adis; June 9th, 2018 at 05:52 AM. Reason: add info