New 1969 442 a few questions

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2018, 08:27 AM

New 1969 442 a few questions

Hello everone ,
I have recently purchased a #s matching 69 442 . Cameo white with two tone blue interior. i have a few questions here they are
The hood is bent just forward of the hinges both sides with no damage to the front of the hood or fenders all parts are original inculding paint.
1) Is this a common problem due to stiff hood hinges?
2) If so has anyone been successful in repairing a hood with this condition?
3) I cant seem to locate a clean used hood. Any recomendations?
4) I know a 70 hood has a different striker/lock mec. Has anyone reworked a 70 hood back to a 69 i.e back to a single pin striker rather than change out core support
5) If none of the above are an option is there a good fitting aftermarket steel hood made ? what company is best fitting parts.

thanks Scott
Old November 5th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by arcticman
Hello everone ,
I have recently purchased a #s matching 69 442 . Cameo white with two tone blue interior.
There was no two tone blue interior used on 1969 442 convertibles from the factory. The only available blue trim codes for convertibles were TR933, blue vinyl bench or TR943, blue vinyl buckets. There was a two tone cloth/vinyl bench interior offered in the 1969 model year (TR333), but it was not offered on convertibles, only on Coupes. What's the trim code on the cowl tag?

i have a few questions here they are
The hood is bent just forward of the hinges both sides with no damage to the front of the hood or fenders all parts are original inculding paint.
1) Is this a common problem due to stiff hood hinges?
It's a problem due to gorilla's forcing the hood closed after not properly lubricating the hinges.

2) If so has anyone been successful in repairing a hood with this condition?
It won't be easy, since the hood is a large flat panel. The right way to fix it would be to drill out the spot welds and separate the underside frame from the hood panel, fix the metal, and re-spot weld.

3) I cant seem to locate a clean used hood. Any recomendations?
They are not reproduced, and good ones are hard to find. The most common problem is that the leading edge rusts out. Frankly, given how many people have adapted the 1970 O.A.I. hood onto 69s, you'd think good originals would be out there, but I searched for a long time before I found a good one for my 69 442 at a reasonable price.

4) I know a 70 hood has a different striker/lock mec. Has anyone reworked a 70 hood back to a 69 i.e back to a single pin striker rather than change out core support
You'd need to cut out the hood latch area from the damaged 69 hood and weld it to the 70 hood.

5) If none of the above are an option is there a good fitting aftermarket steel hood made ?
Unfortunately, no.