1966 442 plastic front inner fender liners - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > Vehicle Lineup > Cutlass, 442, and Hurst/Olds > 442
1966 442 plastic front inner fender liners >

1966 442 plastic front inner fender liners

1966 442 plastic front inner fender liners

Reply

 
 
 
Old August 8th, 2018, 02:07 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Tacoma,WA
Posts: 57
1966 442 plastic front inner fender liners

Do all Cutlass F85 have plastic front fender liners (wheelhouse) or just 442?
GTMeach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 02:32 PM
  #2  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 30,576
Originally Posted by GTMeach View Post
Do all Cutlass F85 have plastic front fender liners (wheelhouse) or just 442?
No 1966 Olds used plastic inner fenders. The 1967 W-30s used red plastic inners. All other 1966-67 Oldsmobiles used metal inner fenders.
joe_padavano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 03:38 PM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Tacoma,WA
Posts: 57
my 66 has black plastic and they fit and look just like metal ones
GTMeach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 03:41 PM
  #4  
Just an Olds Guy
 
Allan R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB. And "I am Can 'eh' jun - eh"
Posts: 22,864
I'd go with Joe's comment. He knows 66/67 almost like he was born in one.

I remember our 67 had metal fender liners. The first one I saw with plastic was in 1970 on a stock Cutlass and I wondered WTH was going on.
Allan R is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 03:47 PM
  #5  
Registered User
 
66-3X2 442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 2,742
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
No 1966 Olds used plastic inner fenders. The 1967 W-30s used red plastic inners. All other 1966-67 Oldsmobiles used metal inner fenders.
That's true for 66 A-Body cars but there were some 67 A-Body black plastic inner fenders. I have personally pulled 2 sets from 67's.one was a Vista Cruiser and the other was a 4 door car. I have actually had 4 or 5 sets of them.
66-3X2 442 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 03:49 PM
  #6  
Registered User
 
66-3X2 442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 2,742
Originally Posted by Allan R View Post
I'd go with Joe's comment. He knows 66/67 almost like he was born in one.

I remember our 67 had metal fender liners. The first one I saw with plastic was in 1970 on a stock Cutlass and I wondered WTH was going on.
All 68 & up Olds A-Body cars had plastic inner fenders.
66-3X2 442 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 03:50 PM
  #7  
Just an Olds Guy
 
Allan R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB. And "I am Can 'eh' jun - eh"
Posts: 22,864
Good information. I based my comment on the 67 my Dad bought. I remember it well and thought it was built like a tank. Hated the pot metal on the vertical part of the deck lid though. It was so hard to keep from getting pitted.
Allan R is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 07:55 PM
  #8  
Old(s) Fart
 
joe_padavano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 30,576
Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442 View Post
That's true for 66 A-Body cars but there were some 67 A-Body black plastic inner fenders. I have personally pulled 2 sets from 67's.one was a Vista Cruiser and the other was a 4 door car. I have actually had 4 or 5 sets of them.
I vaguely recalled something about black plastic inners being phased into the 1967 cars, but I couldn't find any reference to them in the parts book (Sept 1968 printing). Apparently they were randomly inserted into production. In any case, there were NOT used for the 1966 model year, so if the OP's car has them, someone changed them. Perhaps the fenders were swapped due to an early accident?
joe_padavano is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 08:32 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
geowindow6768's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 112
My 67 Vista Cruiser has the plastic fender wells. It also has a/c. Don't know if that makes a difference.
geowindow6768 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2018, 08:59 PM
  #10  
Registered User
 
66-3X2 442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 2,742
Originally Posted by geowindow6768 View Post
My 67 Vista Cruiser has the plastic fender wells. It also has a/c. Don't know if that makes a difference.

What is the build date of your car?
66-3X2 442 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 07:34 AM
  #11  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Red Oak, Texas
Posts: 1,468
A few years ago gearheads78 had a 67 CS four door holiday he was selling that had the black plastic wheel wells. By the time I convinced the wife I should buy the car he had sold it to a shop in Houston and I missed it.
edzolz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 09:39 PM
  #12  
Registered User
 
Koda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 3,965
Originally Posted by joe_padavano View Post
I vaguely recalled something about black plastic inners being phased into the 1967 cars, but I couldn't find any reference to them in the parts book (Sept 1968 printing). Apparently they were randomly inserted into production. In any case, there were NOT used for the 1966 model year, so if the OP's car has them, someone changed them. Perhaps the fenders were swapped due to an early accident?
I would assume the black plastic and red plastic started at the same time as the same molds were probably used. Or a pair of sets nearby. Then I imagine metal production stopped, and the black plastic superseded.
Koda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2018, 07:53 AM
  #13  
Registered User
 
66-3X2 442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Birmingham,Alabama
Posts: 2,742
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
I would assume the black plastic and red plastic started at the same time as the same molds were probably used. Or a pair of sets nearby. Then I imagine metal production stopped, and the black plastic superseded.
There are February built 67 W-30 cars. That would mean that the black plastic started about that time. The 67 black plasdtic wells are very hard to find,so I doubt very seriously they stated in February or there about. I have seen very late build 67's with metal wells..
66-3X2 442 is online now  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Ctls442
Parts For Sale
0
April 29th, 2017 01:05 AM
Ctls442
Parts For Sale
15
May 1st, 2016 01:05 PM
Ctls442
Non-Oldsmobile Classified
5
May 22nd, 2015 07:46 PM
gh5168
Body work
3
January 21st, 2012 07:52 PM
bbolds442
Parts Wanted
0
April 2nd, 2008 07:52 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1966 442 plastic front inner fender liners


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.