70 442 Started, drove 200 yards and stalled. Won’t start.

Old June 19th, 2018, 02:49 PM

70 442 Started, drove 200 yards and stalled. Won’t start.

I’ll preface by saying I’m new to carbs and an older car so trying to self teach as best as possible. I am very mechanical. Race cars that I built. Fix my own BMWs. Just no carbs yet. The car is new to me and since having it I have driven it a bunch. It lives on a trickle charger and has a fresh battery.

I went out of town for 18 days. A friend started and let it idle a couple times while I was gone.

Was going to take it to pool with daughter today. It fired right up. Backed it out of drive way. And at first stop sign in neighborhood it stalled. Wouldn’t restart. Let it roll down hill to house. Tried a few more times. Nadda.

Got it pushed into garage and same deal. It doesn’t “sound” like it is trying to start. Just cranking. Not sure what could have happened to have put miles on it. Instantly fire and then stall.

Gas gauge reads full full but not sure it’s 100% accurate. Going to get some gas and carb cleaner. See if it will turn over.

Where to start abd check? Thanks, everyone.
Old June 19th, 2018, 03:06 PM

Check for fuel and check for spark.

What type of distributor does it have? Original points, electronic points conversion, GM HEI, aftermarket HEI, or ???
Knowing which system it has will determine the troubleshooting steps for ignition issues.
Old June 19th, 2018, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Check for fuel and check for spark.

What type of distributor does it have? Original points, electronic points conversion, GM HEI, aftermarket HEI, or ???
Knowing which system it has will determine the troubleshooting steps for ignition issues.
Full MSD.

*UPDATE

I learned the fuel gauge is wildly inaccurate. I drove it a bunch and my friend had it run a couple of times while out of town. I didn't really pay attention but once I popped hood since I had more time I noticed the fuel filter(or what I believe it to be right before carb) was bone dry. Went to get some fuel and some starter fluid. Put in a few gallons. Tried and nothing. Fuel filter was half full and I could see fuel did go in at the carb. Starter fluid cranked up and died. second try runs great! Let it warm up. Idles. Revs. Etc. All good!

So... questions.

1 - Where is the lead or how does the factory gauge receive signal? Or is it a lost cause?

2 - How many miles can one drive on a tank so I can start to just go off that until I can fix.

3 - Aftermarket gauge to monitor this kind of thing(fuel level)?
Old June 19th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Glad it was an fix to get the car started. Does your fuel gauge read anything when its full or less?
Old June 20th, 2018, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Glad it was an fix to get the car started. Does your fuel gauge read anything when its full or less?
Stupid of me but now notice it’s seemingly stuck at full. Guess it was so new and enjoyable I didn’t even pay attention.
Old June 20th, 2018, 06:21 AM
Administrator

If it is pegged full you probably have an open circuit. Remove the wire that runs to the fuel sender stud at the tank or at a connector in the trunk. With the key on and engine off, touch the wire (use a jumper if you need to) on the car side of the harness to ground. The Gauge should go to "E". If it does that rules out any issues from the point you touched the wire to ground, all the way to the gauge. Its probably a bad fuel sending unit inside the tank.
Old June 20th, 2018, 08:39 AM

If it is pegged full you probably have an open circuit. Remove the wire that runs to the fuel sender stud at the tank or at a connector in the trunk. With the key on and engine off, touch the wire (use a jumper if you need to) on the car side of the harness to ground. The Gauge should go to "E". If it does that rules out any issues from the point you touched the wire to ground, all the way to the gauge. Its probably a bad fuel sending unit inside the tank.
Any photos of these locations? And thanks!

Also anyone have the 'range' I should be seeing as for a full tank?
Old June 20th, 2018, 09:16 AM

If it is pegged full you probably have an open circuit.
An open circuit makes the gauge read beyone Full, towards the HOT light.
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Any photos of these locations? And thanks!

Also anyone have the 'range' I should be seeing as for a full tank?
The wire goes through a grommet in the trunk near the latch - it's a brown wire with an inline connector so it's easy to ground the forward wire to check the gauge operation.

As for the range ona full tank, that has everythingto do with the engine configuraton, rear gears, and the driving style. It's a 20 gallon tank and gs mileage may range between single digits and upper teens.
Old June 20th, 2018, 10:30 AM

An open circuit makes the gauge read beyone Full, towards the HOT light.The wire goes through a grommet in the trunk near the latch - it's a brown wire with an inline connector so it's easy to ground the forward wire to check the gauge operation.

As for the range ona full tank, that has everythingto do with the engine configuraton, rear gears, and the driving style. It's a 20 gallon tank and gs mileage may range between single digits and upper teens.
pegged full. So that’s “open” then on this setup?

455, auto and 3.55 rear end. Assume it’s 9-10mpg at best. So unchecked mileage and not paying attention. Oops.

Old June 20th, 2018, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
pegged full. So that’s “open” then on this setup?
I don't think so. An open has always caused the needle to move beyond F and point at the HOT light on my cars.

Try grounding the wire at the trunk and see what that does.
Old June 20th, 2018, 10:13 PM

I don't think so. An open has always caused the needle to move beyond F and point at the HOT light on my cars.

Try grounding the wire at the trunk and see what that does.
Yah, sorry. That is what I mean. It is 'beyond' full.
Old June 21st, 2018, 03:35 AM
Administrator

Semantics… the description of pegged is the gauge is driven to its limit stop.
Old June 21st, 2018, 06:11 AM

Found what I believe is the 'open'. Seems the wire runs up above the tank and is not connected.

I assume one drops the tank from what I can tell to get it attached?