1969 442 stripes

Old April 25th, 2009, 03:45 PM
olds..older..oldest

1969 442 stripes

My assembly manual states that stripes were "standard on 442's". Would the wise among you please enlighten this neophyte: does that mean ALL 442's were striped and you'de have to delete it on ordering if you wanted no stripe? The optional colours for my Crimson [code 52] post coupe were: black,white or red,and the manual "recommends that paint stripes match top colour or interior trim colour whenever possible" As I have a red car[repainted in 2006] with red interior , if I want to stripe it,am I to have red stripes on a red car? Have any of you seen this combo? Given my druthers, I would like to do white. If so, should I paint [with stencil], or use decals?Thanks, Derek
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:21 PM

I'd like to know also.

Also have 69 442, Crimson color but has been repainted. Wondering If mine used to have the stripe. ?????????????
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Randy C.

Originally Posted by derek nesdoly
My assembly manual states that stripes were "standard on 442's". Would the wise among you please enlighten this neophyte: does that mean ALL 442's were striped and you'de have to delete it on ordering if you wanted no stripe? The optional colours for my Crimson [code 52] post coupe were: black,white or red,and the manual "recommends that paint stripes match top colour or interior trim colour whenever possible" As I have a red car[repainted in 2006] with red interior , if I want to stripe it,am I to have red stripes on a red car? Have any of you seen this combo? Given my druthers, I would like to do white. If so, should I paint [with stencil], or use decals?Thanks, Derek
I'm pretty sure stripes didn't come standard with a 1969 4-4-2 (not 100% sure but real close to it!). The 4-4-2 came standard with 4-4-2 emblems on the nose, fenders and trunk but striping was optional. There were two options for stripes on '69 4-4-2s. Those options were either the W42 (special hood painting) or Y73 (hood paint stripe). The W42 option had a wide painted area for the length of each of the two raised areas on the hood, with a pin stripe surround of each raised area (see manual section 1-4, page 400 of your assembly manual). The Y73 option had a double pin stripe around the two raised areas of the hood (see manual section 1-4, page 401 of your assembly manual). Both of those options also carried a rear deck paint stripe (see manual section 1-4, page 402 of your assembly manual).
The color options for striping are choices. A person wasn't necessarily limited to having the color of their trim for the special painting or stripes options. That was just their recommendation; a person was free to chose the color they wanted. I'm with you on your choice - white would contrast nicely with crimson as well as go with it. Black would go with crimson, too, but I don't think it would show up as well as white. Also, I like the W42 option much more than the Y73 option. My '69 (a work in progress) came with the Y73 option and you could barely see those double pin stripes on the hood, even just a few feet away. When I had it painted, I switched it to the W42 option and now that "special hood painting" is very noticeable!
I've attached a couple of pictures. The cameo white convertible is my current project. The burgundy mist '69 hardtop (also with the W42 option) was my very first car that I bought in April 1972 for the grand total of $1,810, including tax!
Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds69442.jpg (37.2 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg
1Ccars.jpg (31.2 KB, 115 views)
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:59 AM

Here's some 69 442 stripe infromation. Please don't put a Cheby Chevelle stripe on the truck deck.

IMHO opinion it looks like poo poo on a white Rabbit.

http://www.69olds.com/stripe.html
Old April 26th, 2009, 06:50 AM
olds..older..oldest

I pledge allegiance...

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Here's some 69 442 stripe infromation. Please don't put a Cheby Chevelle stripe on the truck deck.

IMHO opinion it looks like poo poo on a white Rabbit.

http://www.69olds.com/stripe.html
Thanks Jamesbo,that's an awesome site!Just spent an hour on it soaking up 1969 442 stats and pics. As a recently enrolled ClassicOlds member, I hereby pledge allegiance to all that is Olds,and spit on white- rabbit-poo poo-Chebys...especially Chevelles
Old April 26th, 2009, 07:07 AM
olds..older..oldest

Thanks Randy, Problem on my end,as the assembly manual I have is laid out differently[eg. my pages 400-401 show wiring harnesses]My pg.43[?your pg.185] is called paint &trim spec.s, and thats what I referred to in last post. Any rate, I'm sure you're correct,and Jamesbo has pointed me in the right direction as well. Derek
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Think I'll leave mine as is....No stripe. Thanks for all the info.
Old April 26th, 2009, 01:37 PM

Matching the trim color was only an option for the buyer. It would not make the car illegit if you striped it black or white.

Of course, I would go white even with my black interior.

442sig.jpg
Old October 22nd, 2017, 09:28 AM

Manual

Originally Posted by derek nesdoly
Thanks Randy, Problem on my end,as the assembly manual I have is laid out differently[eg. my pages 400-401 show wiring harnesses]My pg.43[?your pg.185] is called paint &trim spec.s, and thats what I referred to in last post. Any rate, I'm sure you're correct,and Jamesbo has pointed me in the right direction as well. Derek
where do I get this manual your referring to please!!!!
Old October 22nd, 2017, 10:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Franswa
where do I get this manual your referring to please!!!!
Go to Google.

Type 1969 cutlass assembly manual into the search box

Press RETURN

Pick a vendor and order one.