Another New Guy - Working on a '68 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2018, 06:54 AM

Another New Guy - Working on a '68 Cutlass

Hello folks,
My name is Doug. Brand new here, saying Hi for the first time. I'm a long time GM A-body fan, but working on my first Olds. Picked up a '68 Cutlass Convertible that I've decided to turn into a 442 'tribute' car. Hoping you can point me to a thread that might help with some details on the dual snorkel O.A.I. option. Particularly curious about the exhaust stove pipe configuration for the dual snorkel setup, have not been able to find much info and seems all pictures I've found are top-down and not much help.
Thanks very much and I look forward to checking out the site and learning a lot as the project moves along.
Old February 17th, 2018, 08:51 AM
same but different

Hi Doug, and welcome to the site. I think you'll have a great car when your finished. I'd like to suggest you obtain a factory service manual for your car. You might find its illustrations and related info very valuable.

Ebay often has them.

EDIT: While you're looking around check out the major build section. Here is just one of our members working on same model.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...storation.html

I might suggest you take notice of the other people responding in this thread, as they have the same model too. You might find threads by others, and these guys have lots of photos to view.

Last edited by don71; February 17th, 2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: more info
Old February 17th, 2018, 11:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Please, PLEASE be sure you understand the differences in fender emblem location for W-36 stripe cars. Nearly every one you will find on the web is wrong.
Old February 17th, 2018, 11:33 AM

Don, Joe,
Thanks for the quick replies.

Don,
I do have set of manuals, including the assembly manual; but it's still a little unclear to me. The manual shows a heat riser on the right-hand side of the dual snorkel air cleaner, but doesn't reference the left side at all. I assume that it means there is no heat pipe on the driver's side and the snorkel air door just blocks off cold air on that side...but I'd like to confirm that, as I'm looking for parts and want to make sure I have everything as correct as possible.
And thanks for the link to the other build. Many of those pictures look very familiar!

Joe, thanks for that message on the stripes and funny you mention it first thing. As I was looking at pictures of different cars, I started to notice a difference in stripe locations. Took some digging to discover that the emblems were placed differently on the factory striped cars. At first glance you don't really notice it, but after discovering it's definitely obvious.
And that's another reason I'm researching the air cleaner setup, trying to make sure I understand what's right.

...Doug
Old February 17th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by DougU
I assume that it means there is no heat pipe on the driver's side and the snorkel air door just blocks off cold air on that side.
Correct

funny you mention it first thing.
Folks here will tell you that W-36 stripes are a pet peeve of mine.

When these cars were new, you never saw one with the stripes. Now you can't find one that doesn't have them. Of course, W-30s got them as part of the package in 1968.
Old February 17th, 2018, 11:57 AM

Thanks for confirming the air cleaner setup Joe, I do appreciate it!

I may hit you up again, as I work my way though this thing; to see if you have any other pointers (like the stripes) for a W-30 car.

Have a great weekend!
...Doug
Old February 17th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Randy C.

And here's the page you won't find in your standard available PIM/Assembly Manual for the W-36 stripe, along with some truly authentic pictures of a properly located W-36 stripe! My '68 came with the stripe from the factory and this car has been in my family since it was new.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Olds68442PIM11-158.jpg (342.4 KB, 38 views)
Olds68442convMar71b.jpg (51.2 KB, 29 views)
Olds68442convRKCMar69.jpg (68.8 KB, 28 views)
Old February 17th, 2018, 02:04 PM

Thank you Randy. This is stripe info is great!! And you're correct, it's not in the manuals.

Another question comes to mind...okay, maybe a couple of questions regarding wheel options:
- For '68 W-30 cars, were both the SS1 and SS2 wheels available as options? Seems the SS2 is more prevalent, but I happen to like the SS1 a little better.

- The Parts Place (and maybe other parts houses too) is listing a 17" Magnum wheel, advertised as chrome with black windows similar to the SS1.
Not really sure about going to a 17" wheel, but 15" tire selection is quite limited.
Any experience with these particular Magnum wheels? How do they compare to the true SS1 look?

...Doug
Old February 17th, 2018, 05:44 PM
Randy C.

I'm like you - I like the SSI wheel better than the SSII. Here's the story for the '68 model year as I understand it.

The old Super Stock wheel (option code P05, that we now know as the SSI) was replaced in the '68 model year with a new Super Stock wheel (also option
code P05, the one we now know as the SSII). Unfortunately, there were production issues with the new P05 Super Stock wheel which delayed its use until around the end of March 1968. In the meantime, it appears that when the new Super Stock wheel was ordered, what the buyer got (if the car had drum brakes) was the old P05 Super Stock wheel up until around the end of March 1968, after which the new P05 Super Stock wheel (which also worked for disc brakes) became available full time.

When the '69 model year came around, there apparently was a demand for both style wheels and that's when they became known as the SSI (option code P05, wheel code LE) and SSII (option code N66, wheel code LR). There was still a problem, though, in that the SSI would work only on drum brake cars. That problem was solved in late March or early April 1969 when an updated SSI wheel (code LY) was developed for use on disc brake cars. The LY wheels are somewhat rare these days.

I don't know if there were any restrictions on what wheels a W-30 would get. Others here can answer that question!

Randy C.
Old February 18th, 2018, 05:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

I'll add to Randy's info with a copy of the factory bulletin.

Old February 18th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Randy C.

And here's the bulletin when the new Super Stock wheel became available full time.

Randy C.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1968 Bulletin NC 68-4 P05.1.pdf (617.9 KB, 21 views)
Old February 20th, 2018, 05:10 PM

Sorry guys, been off-line for a couple of days.
Thanks very much for all the detail on the wheels. You guys are great!!

Really do appreciate all the help!
...Doug