70 442 W-30 (Mecum Auction)

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2018, 09:01 PM

70 442 W-30 (Mecum Auction)

I saw a 1,000 point 70 442 W-30 on the Mecum Auction. Why was the grill blacked out. I never saw one like that they were all Dull Aluminum paint I thought.
Old January 15th, 2018, 07:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Gerald Nickels
I saw a 1,000 point 70 442 W-30 on the Mecum Auction. Why was the grill blacked out. I never saw one like that they were all Dull Aluminum paint I thought.
The incorrect black painted grill means it isn't a "1,000 point" car and also begs the question "what else is incorrect".
Old January 15th, 2018, 08:13 AM

Cool perfect car

There is no such thing as a perfect carBuilt on a assembly line by humanbeings and restored by us humans to the best of our ability and knowledge
at time of restoration
Alain
Old January 15th, 2018, 08:48 AM

well, I just read about a car that scored more than 1000 points. They now give credit for items like original weather-molding etc. So you could have a car that scores 995 and get extra points for original tires, original belts etc. I bet either way that 1000 point car had a few more items we could pick a part yet was a beautiful car none-the-less.
Old January 15th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by stevengerard
well, I just read about a car that scored more than 1000 points.
So it's better than perfect? Kind of smacks of grade inflation ("Mecum, where all the cars are above average...").

As for "nit picking", sorry, but at six figures, the car better be right. Not the cleanest engine compartment for a $100K car, either. The Canadian market valve cover sticker implies that the car MAY have GM of Canada documents, however.

Old January 15th, 2018, 09:26 AM

Reminds me of one where I grew up, same color. Talked to the owner when I saw it for sale. He said he beat the snot out of the car, raced anybody who challenged him. 4 speed, manual steering car, he broke 2 steering wheels. Didn't care about the value, just loved the car, drove it everywhere. Sorry to see him sell it.
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
So it's better than perfect? Kind of smacks of grade inflation ("Mecum, where all the cars are above average...").

As for "nit picking", sorry, but at six figures, the car better be right. Not the cleanest engine compartment for a $100K car, either. The Canadian market valve cover sticker implies that the car MAY have GM of Canada documents, however.
I have no issue with us pointing out what is right and wrong with cars, its just I look at many of these cars and think "wow I wish my car was in half this condition." I appreciate the effort, money and time it takes to get it to even 900 points let alone 990. And often folks just poo poo the little things.

If the market allows for these cars to be 100K value in less than perfect condition than so be it. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is. Heck, for $50k you can go buy a 2016 Mustang GT350 that will blow the doors of our cars in a straight line, on a road course, in safety, convenience and MPG. Value is relative.

For you to spend 6 figures on a car it better be right - I agree but for others close is close enough. No different than investing in property or collecting coins, there are many different levels of investors.

And that Canadian sticker may just be another sign of an overly tagged car with inline tube stickers.
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:44 AM

It is odd that someone would go through that much of a 'restoration' on a '70 W30 but then have blacked out grilles - unless the owner liked the blacked out look as seen on the Rallye's and 68, 69, and 71 442's?
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Old(s) Fart

And that Canadian sticker may just be another sign of an overly tagged car with inline tube stickers.
Actually, there's another close up photo of the sticker, and it looks like it's been there for quite a while. Plus, someone adding it would have done a better job of alignment. This one looks like it was applied with normal assembly line "quality" standards.
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by anthonyP
It is odd that someone would go through that much of a 'restoration' on a '70 W30 but then have blacked out grilles - unless the owner liked the blacked out look as seen on the Rallye's and 68, 69, and 71 442's?
I don't think it's "restored" so much as "preserved". We did do that blackout painting back when these cars were new.
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:56 AM

yep did that to my '72 in the 70's and will do it to my '72 Cutlass this summer - I like that look especially on 72s. The factory blacked out the surround of the headlights but not the taillights or the grill, but did it on the '72 HO. I like that look
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

yep did that to my '72 in the 70's and will do it to my '72 Cutlass this summer - I like that look especially on 72s. The factory blacked out the surround of the headlights but not the taillights or the grill, but did it on the '72 HO. I like that look
Of course, if you black out 1972 442 grills, you get a 1971.
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:16 AM

well, I just read about a car that scored more than 1000 points. They now give credit for items like original weather-molding etc. So you could have a car that scores 995 and get extra points for original tires, original belts etc. I bet either way that 1000 point car had a few more items we could pick a part yet was a beautiful car none-the-less.
Don't get me started on points, lol. I done that for a short time and glad I did and even enjoyed it. I did learned alot about it while doing it. The points system is a joke and that goes for the OCA and also the high end shows. Only place I have seen a quality system is with the Corvette guys. There very well may be others but I for sure have not seen it with Oldsmobiles.
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Don't get me started on points, lol. I done that for a short time and glad I did and even enjoyed it. I did learned alot about it while doing it. The points system is a joke and that goes for the OCA and also the high end shows. Only place I have seen a quality system is with the Corvette guys. There very well may be others but I for sure have not seen it with Oldsmobiles.
I don't have the time or patience at this point in my life to even attempt it. I appreciate others working towards that goal but me, I'm just fine doing my best at keeping the car running and as close to original as possible. But if it means repo parts or items that make it easier for me (e.g. high torque starter) then so be it.
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Don't get me started on points, lol. I done that for a short time and glad I did and even enjoyed it. I did learned alot about it while doing it. The points system is a joke and that goes for the OCA and also the high end shows.
Considering that there isn't a standard judging manual for each year and model for OCA judging...

I was a judge at Sturbridge Nats in 2010. We did not have a good set of reference materials to know what was "correct" for the class, which was frustrating. Worse, we spent the allotted 30 minutes each on the first two cars, then it started to rain. Suffice to say the remaining cars did not receive the same level of inspection. Of course, every car in the class got a First Place award.

Even worse was Seven Springs in 09, where Best in Class was awarded to a 1968 "W-30" with the striped in the wrong place.
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

@Steven--good points. Is it possible that's just where the market is at or heading for the '70 W-30? I don't know the answer but the prices at BJ and Mecum tell me they're probably in the middle of the two.

I noticed the Mecum listing for the $107k burnished gold W-30 highlighted the MCACN Vintage Certification. My guess is that's where the "high" score comes from, meaning, that it's an all original car in the five areas they certify (with the exception of the blacked out grilles). It's a pretty cool process if you haven't observed it at the show. Here's their site. https://www.vintagecertification.com/
There's actually a few pictures of that particular car along with Jason's "Ex Racer" gold W-30 as well. Both are phenomenal W-30's.

Last edited by WTHIRTY1; January 15th, 2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Certification website
• Vintage Certification™ represents a repository of factory correct standards by which the hobby and serious restorers can all benefit

I'm suddenly less than impressed by this.
Old January 15th, 2018, 12:30 PM

Even worse was Seven Springs in 09, where Best in Class was awarded to a 1968 "W-30" with the striped in the wrong place.
I'm surprised you survived that ordeal
Old January 15th, 2018, 04:53 PM

I don't think it's "restored" so much as "preserved". We did do that blackout painting back when these cars were new.
Not unlike the copied blacked out grill from the '71 442, the new for '71 SS-III colored keyed wheels were suddenly copied on '70 models to the point where it was rare to see original SS-II wheels still with the argent color. (Of course, the Rallye 350 & Y-74 Pace Car was exempt from the practice)
Old January 15th, 2018, 07:01 PM

I talked to the owner at the show Saturday. This car was well documented with owner history and all paper work. Original surviving car that was in great shape. Original owner painted grille black because he liked the look of the 69 grille. Any how, this was one of the nicest W-30'S at the show and I looked them all over pretty good------