OEM VS. Repro Bumpers

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2017, 10:01 AM

OEM VS. Repro Bumpers

Hey Guys,

Is there a way to tell the difference between original GM bumpers and reproduction? I'm trying to determine whether my bumpers are repros or original GM.

Thanks!
Old December 28th, 2017, 06:48 PM

Anyone buy this bumper and how well did it fit?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Cutlas...53.m1438.l2649
Old December 28th, 2017, 07:02 PM

My reply may not help much but a buddy here installed a new/repro front bumper on his '70 442 convert about a year ago. He bought it from The Parts Place.....not sure if Tamraz is selling the same bumper or not but possibly so.

The bumper fit well.......no complaints.
Old December 29th, 2017, 07:17 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I bought a rear cutout bumper from Tamraz for my 72. It fit perfectly and before installation I calipered and weighed the OEM vs repro. They were virtually identical.
Old December 29th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Cory

The Tamraz bumper you linked is made by Golden Star. 3 Other members plus myself have found the rear bumper by them to be excellent.
Old December 29th, 2017, 08:18 AM
delete

Originally Posted by dream66
The Tamraz bumper you linked is made by Golden Star. 3 Other members plus myself have found the rear bumper by them to be excellent.
I ordered a rear bumper from Tamraz for my 70 442. The ad listed Goldenstar but they sent me AMD. It looked nice once it was on but it took some tweaking to install (as per my body guy). The chrome is nice but there are some waves in it. I think it was worth the $$ but def not a show piece

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158535685@N07/, on Flickr
Old December 29th, 2017, 10:43 AM

Just ordered the front bumper. Will post up fitting results and pics.
Old January 5th, 2018, 06:54 AM

I also ordered a Tamraz rear bumper based on their (in my opinion now) over the top description of it. I turned out to be an AMD as well. I never even opened the box when I got - big lesson learned - just put it away until I needed it. When I went to put it on the car I was so disappointed in the quality of it that I never even checked the fit. It was long past their return policy so I just chalked it up to lesson learned and put it on the shelf. Tamraz has lost a customer for life.
Old January 5th, 2018, 07:43 AM
delete

I saved my original back bumper. Someday I'll get it rechromed & put that back on the car. Some day....
Old January 5th, 2018, 08:30 AM

A quality replate of an OEM bumper is always better than a reproduction.
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:36 AM

costs

Originally Posted by My442
A quality replate of an OEM bumper is always better than a reproduction.

Typical re-chroming prices are expensive. Hearing $700 USD & up for quality re-chrome work. I know of one restoration member on here who recently paid $1800 Canadian per bumper ($1450 USD with the exchange rate today). There is only one business left in Alberta who does re-chrome and in late 2016 they were charging $850 Canadian per bumper ($690 USD per bumper). Those costs are why there are re-po bumpers.
Old January 5th, 2018, 11:00 AM
delete

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
. Those costs are why there are re-po bumpers.
That's the boat I was in. In NY chrome plating anything but the smallest stuff is illegal due to environmental concerns so it would have been the cost of replating the bumper plus shipping both ways. Add in the down time of waiting for it to get back, the chance it gets damaged or lost in shipping & the possibility that you get it back & aren't happy with the job.
Old January 5th, 2018, 02:38 PM

Buy once, cry once.
Old January 5th, 2018, 09:42 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Buy once, cry once.
What does that mean?
Old January 6th, 2018, 06:44 AM

I haven’t installed mine yet but I am impressed as hell. I enjoyed glassbeading and assembling these bumpers. Mine are from Fusick but came in the Golden Star boxes. You will have to enlarge the holes for the tail light assemblies.

Last edited by OldsAl; January 6th, 2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old January 6th, 2018, 06:34 PM

Al,

Those bumpers look really nice as well as all the mounting hardware! I received my front bumper last week. I bought mine through Ebay from Tamraz. It was also from Golden Star. I hope it fits as good as it looks!!

Originally Posted by OldsAl
I haven’t installed mine yet but I am impressed as hell. I enjoyed glassbeading and assembling these bumpers. Mine are from Fusick but came in the Golden Star boxes. You will have to enlarge the holes for the tail light assemblies.

Old January 15th, 2018, 10:31 AM

I bought my 70 rear cut out bumper from GM Sport Salvage in San Jose, Ca. years ago and weighed both bumpers they were the same. The chrome was a 6 out of a 10 but nobody knew it was a repo at Reno. Olds Nats. Some people buy the un-chromed bumper then have it chromed.
$300 I picked it up there.
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:48 AM

I am near The Parts Place and Tamraz. I plan on going in person. The last place that painted my car made a mistake on the decklid and touched it up while the bumper was on and buffed right through the chrome. They would not take responsibility for it. In Chicago we have one of the best chrome shops in the country (finishing touch) but at $1300 each I rather store the original and pay $550 for a pair of repos rather than $2600 plus. I have seen the repos in person and they do come from a couple of places. And all these repo places get them from the same manufacturers. I'll go in person and pick out the best of the bunch when the time comes.
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
What does that mean?
Spend the money and do it right the first time.

Buying a repro bumper that has issues in a few years means you will end up buying another bumper.

A OEM core is made of better metal and is thicker. A good chrome shop will provide a superior plating job.

That is why it is almost always better to use a OEM part or restore it.

Been messing with car restoration since the 1960's, and this is what I have learned.

However, your results may vary.......
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I am near The Parts Place and Tamraz. I plan on going in person. The last place that painted my car made a mistake on the decklid and touched it up while the bumper was on and buffed right through the chrome. They would not take responsibility for it. In Chicago we have one of the best chrome shops in the country (finishing touch) but at $1300 each I rather store the original and pay $550 for a pair of repos rather than $2600 plus. I have seen the repos in person and they do come from a couple of places. And all these repo places get them from the same manufacturers. I'll go in person and pick out the best of the bunch when the time comes.
I agree on the Finishing Touch....they restored all of the stainless on my car, and it came out GREAT.

Tri City Plating is all you have to know about bumper replating.
Old January 16th, 2018, 05:17 AM

The problem with reproduction crash parts is they probably would not meet the original crash standards.
Old January 16th, 2018, 08:20 AM

Overseas parts = lower quality, looser specs, and a bigger profit.

If you think that the repro companies put in anywhere near the same level of engineering into their parts as GM did..........
Old January 16th, 2018, 08:40 AM

I just bought my bumpers and did the restoration of the brackets etc as noted in my pics above. I have to say I was thuroughly impressed with these. They are incredibly straight and the chrome looks awesome. I even did a ballpark weight comparison by holding one stripped down versus the reproduction one and honestly I couldn’t tell any real difference. My brother used them on his W30 convertible and they look awesome.
Old January 16th, 2018, 09:09 AM

How do you enlarge a hole in the bumper with out destroying the chrome\finish?
Old January 16th, 2018, 09:49 AM

It’s only 2 of the holes on each side that hold the tail light housings in. If you look at an old bumper with nothing attached you will see the 4 prongs that have a hole in each one and hold the housings. They need to be slightly enlarged to line up the bolts. You don’t affect the chrome on the bumper that you see. It’s in behind. Al
Old January 16th, 2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldsAl
I just bought my bumpers and did the restoration of the brackets etc as noted in my pics above. I have to say I was thuroughly impressed with these. They are incredibly straight and the chrome looks awesome. I even did a ballpark weight comparison by holding one stripped down versus the reproduction one and honestly I couldn’t tell any real difference. My brother used them on his W30 convertible and they look awesome.
Report back in a few years to see if they hold up.
Old January 18th, 2018, 06:29 AM

I tend to find and use the best originals I can and have them rechromed, by a quality rechromer. It can be very expensive.

I tried a rear bumper from Tamaraz for a '69 W-31 a while back, as I was told the quality was very good.

The weight and thickness was similar to the originals. Fitment was as good as original, bumper was smooth and straight with a nice chrome finish and even the inside of the bumper was acceptable, more so than a rechrome with draw and hammer marks.

Overall I was very happy with what I received for the price point. Whether or not the Chrome will hold up to extreme climate change and the elements is yet to be seen.

Z ��������
Old January 18th, 2018, 07:25 AM

That's good to hear Stefano. Its a tough choice. Many people can say with the value of some of these cars, like the W31 you speak of, spend the extra money on an original, well it still means one has to have the money to do it. Secondly many say that the repos may not hold up as well. How many people even drive these cars in the rain let alone in the snow. Most of these repo bumpers see sun 5% of the time, and a shaded garage the other 95% of the time.

I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times. If anyone wants to put my kids through college or pay for my parts I'll be happy to buy all NOS. Either way I'm happy to make them feel better about my car if they. Otherwise, I'll enjoy my car myself as it is.
Old January 18th, 2018, 11:18 AM
delete

Originally Posted by stevengerard

I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times. If anyone wants to put my kids through college or pay for my parts I'll be happy to buy all NOS.
Right on Bro. Everyone has their limit. When I was doing my car, a repro bumper fit my budget. Getting mine rechromed (and shipping both ways) wasn't. The repro isn't perfect but looks better than what I had, and how is to say a rechromed bumper makes it back to you perfect anyway?
Old January 19th, 2018, 07:41 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Spend the money and do it right the first time.

Buying a repro bumper that has issues in a few years means you will end up buying another bumper.

A OEM core is made of better metal and is thicker. A good chrome shop will provide a superior plating job.

That is why it is almost always better to use a OEM part or restore it.

Been messing with car restoration since the 1960's, and this is what I have learned.

However, your results may vary.......
Ah. Thanks for the clarification. Good advice.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:36 PM

received a AMD rear 1970 442 bumper from tamraz yesterday, a total piece of garbage.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by 315442
received a AMD rear 1970 442 bumper from tamraz yesterday, a total piece of garbage.
There you go.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 01:54 PM

What was wrong with it?
Old March 2nd, 2018, 02:17 PM

Send it back and tell them what is wrong.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 03:12 PM

extremely wayvy, grinder mark everywhere ,couple of dings, chrome is shiny,,, would look better if it was not. i have not made any attempt to install. called them today and they will return, I pay shipping, 19% restock, after they inspect and determine if I did any thing to it. sounds like a bloody pair of underpants are in my future.
I have had another issue with tamraz on a 1970 cuda project that the owner spent a lot of money with them and they were arrogant ******** saying basically it is aftermarket and we do not stand behind our vendors quality.
never again will I deal with tamraz.
Old March 2nd, 2018, 03:17 PM

saying basically it is aftermarket and we do not stand behind our vendors quality.
They all seem to say this