Olds 455 Cracked block

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2017, 07:36 PM

Olds 455 Cracked block

Long story short, I completely rebuilt my 455 about 2005. Bored it .30 over, new everything. Basically it was all new. It was nothing fancy. Mostly a driver. It had dished .30 pistons, performer intake, performer cam, and 750 eldelbrock. So nothing fancy.

I didn't drive it for a few seasons and went out to drive it again one summer and when I started it up, I noticed a slow drip from under the head. I took off the head and found a hairline crack between the water jackets on the bottom.

I've basically let it sit since. But now I'm getting the urge to get it back out again. I've been dreading building another engine for it. Especially since I sunk a ton of money in it back then. But now I'm curious, is there a block sealer I could use to fix it and be able to drive it again?

This isn't my engine, it's just a pic on google. But I marked where the crack is location wise.

It's a hairline crack and I almost missed it the first time I looked for it. But what do you guys think? Would a block sealer work so I could drive it next summer? And if you guys think it would, which brand would you recommend?

Old October 13th, 2017, 07:40 PM

By the way I should add, I'm not one to rig something up to work. But I literally have like 1500 miles on a complete rebuild on that motor. I hate to have to start over.
Old October 14th, 2017, 05:22 AM

I can't answer your question but if you need another block you may want to post the area you live. I have blocks in Brazil Indiana
Old October 14th, 2017, 06:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

That little web is not really structural. The cooling jacket connects right below it. Frankly, it doesn't even affect sealing of the head gasket. If I didn't already have a barn full of 455 blocks, I'd have no problems using it.
Old October 14th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Old(s)GuysRule

There may be some movement due to thermal expansion which could cause head gasket leakage to develop. I have seen satisfactory weld repair on that type of crack.
Old October 14th, 2017, 08:10 AM

You have nothing to lose using a sealant other than piece of mind that it will leave you stranded some time out in the sticks.It doesn't sound like you put many miles on it.

I've plugged a cracked block or two back in the day using Bars Leak. I don't know if it is still manufactured or not but I considered it a band-aid fix just to move a car or get it home, not a forever fix..... Tedd
Old October 14th, 2017, 09:10 AM

I agree with the general comments so far. I might also while it is apart clean that area on the underside as much as possible and put some JB weld on it on the water jacket side not the gasket sealing side. Then reassemble and use a block sealer also. I bet you never have an issue.
Old October 14th, 2017, 09:50 AM

Look up metal stitching, used it on a head several years ago, no problems. Good luck with your repair.
Old October 14th, 2017, 10:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

I think many of you are waaaay overreacting to this. My engineering judgement says that you could probably cut that short web out entirely and not affect sealing. All that little chunk of metal does is stabilize the top of the cylinder. Leaving the metal in place with the crack accomplishes this function.
Old October 14th, 2017, 10:21 AM

I agree with Joe, but I wonder why there was a leak?
Old October 14th, 2017, 11:22 AM

I remember when I looked at it. the metal seem like it expanded just a fuzz in that spot. The leak was very small and if I remember right it didn't leak until I tightened the cap on the Radiator and put it under pressure.

I had a buddy tell me that K&W makes a block sealer that is like really good stuff. I might try that.

If I do get it running, I literally would only drive it maybe a 1000 miles a year. And it would probably be no further than 20 min from my house.

I basically want a sunday driver to take out with my kids. I just didnt want to have to redo that engine again.

I do have a spare block. Thank you for the offers above. I just didn't want to spend all that money. Especially since this one is basically about like new.
Old October 14th, 2017, 11:39 AM

You know part of the reason I think it leaks, it's just a fuzz raised on the one side. Just a fuzz. What would happen if I ground down that little spot a fuzz and maybe even dished it down a little? Would it seal better?
Old October 14th, 2017, 09:36 PM

I think I would buy me a new 15 inch long flat mill cut file and run it over that area to take down the fuzz that you are talking about. I would not, in any way, dish it any at all. Let the natural seal of the head gasket take care of any sealing problems.
Old October 14th, 2017, 10:46 PM
Hookers under Hood

Is it just me or? What is just a "FUZZ" crack on an engine block measure or mean? What thickness of feeler gauges can you get in the crack?
Old October 15th, 2017, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
Is it just me or? What is just a "FUZZ" crack on an engine block measure or mean? What thickness of feeler gauges can you get in the crack?
Yeah I know not the best in terms of "Technical" by saying fuzz.

No sorry there is no actual seperation at all. In fact I missed it the first time I tore it apart and thought maybe a head gaskety was defective and put another one on, but it leaked again.

I can only feel it by running my fingernail across it. The raise I mean. I thought maybe it was a burr or something when I first looked at it. Like maybe when I actually was putting on the head, I dinged the metal somehow or something. But it is very minor.

The car is actually at my old rental house in the Garage. I think I'm going to get it towed over to my garage at my house now and tear it apart again.

Now could it be too guys. I'm just using cheap felpro head gaskets that came in a complete rebuild kit, and I think when I changed them the 2nd time, I again just ordered a cheap felpro head gasket from like Advance. For like 12 bucks or something back around 2008.

Maybe there are some ultra seal headgaskets out now that might work too? I was using a cheapo.
Old October 15th, 2017, 10:32 AM

You can probably get a standard block off craigslist between $100-$200. No worries, no crossing your fingers every time you take it out. Keep the old one for a coffee table. That rib is there for a reason, engineers tested these blocks to death. The big question is "What caused the rib to crack in the first place?" Freezing, improper torque,...? Best of luck with your project, terrible setback.
Old October 15th, 2017, 03:57 PM

https://www.metalock.co.uk/typical-o...stitching.aspx
Here's a link to metal stitching, pulls the crack together and can be done with block in car.
Old October 15th, 2017, 04:13 PM

That method (metal stitching) looks like a lot of trouble since 455 blocks are virtually easy to obtain. If it was a super rare block of some unobtainable vintage it might be worth it.
Old October 15th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
https://www.metalock.co.uk/typical-o...stitching.aspx
Here's a link to metal stitching, pulls the crack together and can be done with block in car.
I seriously doubt that you could to that to the crack in question and not require the block to be rebored (or at least honed) and decked.
Old October 15th, 2017, 05:11 PM

Not an engineer or a machinist, with that said, the process pulls the crack tighter. The crack I had repaired in a head, the metal piece that pulls it together is designed to shear off flush.
Old October 16th, 2017, 08:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Not an engineer or a machinist, with that said, the process pulls the crack tighter. The crack I had repaired in a head, the metal piece that pulls it together is designed to shear off flush.
How does it "pull" without distorting the upper end of the cylinder? ANYTHING you do with that crack will affect the top of the cylinder.
Old October 16th, 2017, 10:58 AM

The crack isn't in the worst spot, but somehow it's causing the head gasket to leak, and usually the head gasket is solid in that area... so if you have the engine far enough apart to figure that out, I'd feel better about it.
Old October 16th, 2017, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
How does it "pull" without distorting the upper end of the cylinder? ANYTHING you do with that crack will affect the top of the cylinder.
Not sure I follow your thinking, is it not pulling it back to where it was originally?
Old October 16th, 2017, 06:42 PM

I'm willing to bet that was a freeze stress developed a long time ago then cracked all the way through with heat expansion which caused your leak
Old October 18th, 2017, 12:40 PM

KW block seal is pretty good stuff..