69 442 damaged while parked need advice on repair

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2017, 02:51 PM

69 442 damaged while parked need advice on repair

Just a few months ago I entered the world of Olds 442. Last week it was hit on the passenger side front by a passing truck and trailer. Mostly the fender destroyed, a small part into the door and the bumper just barely scratched. It was not a hit and run, the owners left their info and I've already spoke to their insurance company. Apparently I have bad luck with classic cars. Last year my 66 GTO was destroyed in a fire at the paint shop during it's final phase of restoration.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience or advice dealing with insurance companies, getting it fixed, and getting compensated for the value. With the GTO it was a pretty straight forward total. But for the 442 it's not likely going to be totaled. But there is a lot I'll have to be very careful with. My main concerns are fixing the damaged fender. With the GTO I ordered a pair of quarter panels to put on the car and never did because once I got them they were pathetically paper thin. However I've heard Mopars has some OEM quality sheet metal aftermarket available for them. Do the 442s have this? What about the the paint? If i take it to a shop are they just going to paint the fender and try to match the color to the rest of the car? At what point does it cross the line of fixing the damage from the accident and taking advantage of the situation by getting a better paint job than the car originally had? The front bumper has a small little scratch on it from the accident but was in bad need for a rechrome beforehand. I don't think the frame was damaged but if it was is this repairable in a 60 year old car? Any advice on a good shop to have the work done that has experience with old cars somewhere in a 200 mile radius of portland?......What about just in general even after the repair costs are paid the lost value of having a classic car that is now wrecked and loosing some of the originality by not having the original sheet metal on the car, what kind of value loss is there and how do I go about arguing that case?............ I'm not trying to take advantage of a situation but I do want to be fairly compensated for the repair cost and whatever lost value incurred. I know there's a lot more that meets the eye with a classic car when it comes to having damage repaired. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 18th, 2017, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Hard to give advice without seeing pics of the damage. I would talk to other enthusiasts in your area for a recommendation of a good body shop and get an estimate of the repairs required. Don't settle with the insurance co until your happy with the plan.
Old September 18th, 2017, 03:31 PM

I've recently fitted goodmark front fenders to a 68' and was happy. I had to reweld and reshape the upper rear corners to match the door for a great fit. Otherwise I thought they seemed just as heavy as the orginals. It was easier than putting lower patch panels on rusted/dented originals.

Your other option is a used right fender that will probably need to be reworked.
Post a picture if you get time and I'll let you know if the original is worth repairing.

Your better off finding a restoration shop than body shop in my opinion. Most modern facilities are part swappers now a days and not capable of working metal.
Old September 18th, 2017, 06:35 PM
72 Olds CS

portland maine?

portland oregon ?
Old September 18th, 2017, 06:54 PM

That's a bummer that your Olds got hit. At least the culprit left insurance info though. As others said, make sure you're happy with the plan before you have a shop start work on your car. Good luck.
Old September 18th, 2017, 09:20 PM
Old(s) Fart

The Chinesium repro quarter panels are about 2/3 the thickness of OEM and are only partial quarters. No one makes full quarters for a 69. Good used panels from the desert southwest are you best choice.
Old September 19th, 2017, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The Chinesium repro quarter panels are about 2/3 the thickness of OEM and are only partial quarters. No one makes full quarters for a 69. Good used panels from the desert southwest are you best choice.
Aren't they terrible! I don't understand how they can even sell them. Most people restoring a car will avoid very hard to put aftermarket sheet metal on it and that's a very well known fact. If it's good sheet metal it becomes a practical option rather than searching for used parts. The $3 the company saves on bulk metal can not pay for itself. I don't understand........ But whatever, it's not my business. Thanks for the advice on the goodmark fenders. Would you say they are the same thickness as the original?

Portland Oregon. I'd post pics but the car is in the trailer at the moment. I'm not going to say the fender is repairable but it would take A LOT to repair it. Like well into the thousands and a very skilled metal guy and bondo guy working together. The signature oldsmobile fender flares is completely flat. So there's really not much to see.
Old September 19th, 2017, 02:29 AM

If you have collision on your car, you might be better off dealing with your own insurance company than trying to deal with theirs. This is especially true if you have it insured with one of the major antique auto insurance companies. Your insurance company will collect from the trucking companies insurance, or deal directly with them, if they are self insured. The collector car insurance companies are familiar with the peculiarities of obtaining OEM parts, and the costs involved in getting the job done right the first time.
Old September 19th, 2017, 09:13 AM

I was pleasantly surprised with the fenders. I went into it thinking they would be junk. I didn't check metal gauge but they felt the same to lift them. Usually the aftermarket stuff is a lot lighter than factory.

But... they took several hours each to get the fit I wanted at the top which is nicer than the factory. The originals fit pretty bad also but were better. This car was really beat around so different cars will require different things. Hood sides to fender tops were really good straight lines. I also had to blast the e-coat from them so I could properly clean the bare metal to my standards. Body shop isn't going to do that.
Old September 19th, 2017, 09:18 AM
Old(s) Fart

Sorry, I read this quickly and for some reason I though the OP was asking about quarter panels, not front fenders. Sorry for the confusion.
Old September 19th, 2017, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sorry, I read this quickly and for some reason I though the OP was asking about quarter panels, not front fenders. Sorry for the confusion.
I replace the quarter panels on my GTO and those were junk. The 442 the fender was damaged so I was afraid it was going to be the same thin sheet metal.
Old September 19th, 2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Junkman
If you have collision on your car, you might be better off dealing with your own insurance company than trying to deal with theirs. This is especially true if you have it insured with one of the major antique auto insurance companies. Your insurance company will collect from the trucking companies insurance, or deal directly with them, if they are self insured. The collector car insurance companies are familiar with the peculiarities of obtaining OEM parts, and the costs involved in getting the job done right the first time.
It wasn't a trucking company it was a guy pulling an RV trailer and I'm dealing with state farm. I'm going to see how that goes. I'd rather not have a claim on my insurance if I don't have to.
Old November 6th, 2017, 04:19 PM

The best that specializes in Oldsmobile’s is Thornton Muscle Cars Quakertown, Pa. I’m having a W30 partially restored by Troy.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 08:05 AM

Best to use original parts if possible. I see an ad on San Francisco Craigslist for a pair of fenders and a hood for '69 442 with parts located in Napa, CA. Also see a craigslist ad for parting out a '69 Cutlass in Seattle, but it looks rough in the pics.