1964 F-85 Club Coupe and 442 questions

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2017, 08:46 AM

1964 F-85 Club Coupe and 442 questions

Hello,

I took delivery of my yard "rescued" 1964 Club Coupe 442 on Friday evening. It is the first time I had seen the car in person. I will be uploading plenty of pics in the coming days.

My questions are these:

For the Base F-85 Club Coupe, did they come standard with bench or bucket seats? Mine has buckets out of something else that have been installed - probably the right frame, but wrong upholstery color and pattern.

Is there any way to get new cloth upholstery material? Mine is shot of course, but the pattern is identifiable.

What did the shifter look like? Mine looks to have been replaced with a hurst shifter with a hurst T-handle.

Was posi-traction an option or did it come standard on 442s?

What did the original tail pipes look like? From the rear?

So, basically, if there is any literature available that covers standard features, options, and how things are supposed to look in photos, that would be great! Direction is appreciated.

Thanks for all the great comments and feedback so far!
Old February 13th, 2017, 09:24 AM

If you can find the December 2014 issue of "Journey With Olds" from the Olds Club of America, it will answer a lot of questions about your 64. That issue has a large section devoted to the 64 442. Or you can take a short trip North to the Scottsdale Pavillion right off the 101 on Feb. 25 when we have our monthly Olds club meeting. I can bring my issue for you to look at. Also we are holding our 30th annual Olds car show Sat. March 25. 9 to 12. There will be approximately 100 Oldsmobiles there, that's a lot of Olds knowledge in one spot for you to tap into.

Posi was an option, the base F85 came with a vinyl bench and the shifter was a T bar reverse lockout Muncie.
Harold
Old February 13th, 2017, 12:56 PM

Thanks. I suspected bench because it doesnt make sense to change buckets for other, non-matching buckets. Also, the rubber floor between the seats does not overlap or meet...there is a gap.

Thanks for the info. I will work on getting up there for a meeting!
Old February 13th, 2017, 10:16 PM

Bench was standard. Back seat also wider. SMS auto fabrics in Canby Oregon will have your interior but it's only the fabric. You'll need someone to make seat covers from the fabric. The Vinyl floor is not reproduced so try to salvage what you have. Posi was an option but 3:36 was the standard axle ratio. Munci t-handle with reverse lock out shifter as others have pointed out. The tailpipes are not visible from the rear. They are tucked up behind bumper.

Your sheet metal looks super rough. Try American classics outside of Vancouver Washington. They had sheet metal for 64s during my last visit. The 65 quarters will also work.

Good luck. Welcome to the board.
Old February 14th, 2017, 05:57 AM

I suspect the buckets are not original and they were swapped in place of the bench seat. The upholstery on the buckets does not match the rest of the interior but appears to be correct for 64 Cutlass/F85 deluxe. Your car is a plain old F-85... COOL! You have your work cut out for you with this one. You are lucky the car does not require the wheel well exterior trim as they are next to impossible to find.
Old February 14th, 2017, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Asusport
Hello,

I took delivery of my yard "rescued" 1964 Club Coupe 442 on Friday evening. It is the first time I had seen the car in person. I will be uploading plenty of pics in the coming days.

My questions are these:

For the Base F-85 Club Coupe, did they come standard with bench or bucket seats? Mine has buckets out of something else that have been installed - probably the right frame, but wrong upholstery color and pattern. Mine came with Buckets and Pleater

Is there any way to get new cloth upholstery material? Mine is shot of course, but the pattern is identifiable. Mine were just red

What did the shifter look like? Mine looks to have been replaced with a hurst shifter with a hurst T-handle. Mine had the round Muncie shifter factory

Was posi-traction an option or did it come standard on 442s? Yes Posi-Trac with the 442 package

What did the original tail pipes look like? From the rear? Factory was the slight curve down from the rear bumper

So, basically, if there is any literature available that covers standard features, options, and how things are supposed to look in photos, that would be great! Direction is appreciated.

Thanks for all the great comments and feedback so far!
Old February 14th, 2017, 06:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Let's correct some misinformation.

All 1964 F-85s came with bench seats only EXCEPT for the V6 Sport Coupe, which did come with buckets as standard equipment. Buckets were not an option on other F-85 models that year. All 1964 Cutlass 2dr models came with buckets as standard equipment in 1964.

Posi (technically, Anti-Spin rear axle) was RPO G80 and was a $43.04 option on ALL 1964 A-body cars, including the 442s. It was not standard equipment.

Old February 14th, 2017, 12:50 PM

Was the shifter a 442 only item or was it the same as other manual cars either 3 or 4 speed? Was 442 engraved on the handle?
Old February 14th, 2017, 12:59 PM

The shifter was a round looking Muncie type, I think it was factory stock. No engraving on it of any type. I put a Hurst shifter years ago
Old February 14th, 2017, 03:31 PM

The three speed did not have the same style shifter. No reverse lockout T-handle on the 3speed.

it wasn't until 65 that they used hurst shifter.
Old February 14th, 2017, 03:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Keener
The three speed did not have the same style shifter. No reverse lockout T-handle on the 3speed.

it wasn't until 65 that they used hurst shifter.
Actually, the 1965 cars used the Muncie shifter with a flat stick on the four speed. The Dearborn (AKA, Ford) HD three speed was the only trans to get the Hurst shifter in 1965. 1966 was the first to use the Hurst four speed shifter.
Old February 14th, 2017, 04:00 PM

Sorry for the vague statement. Joe's right, it wasn't until 1966 that all cutlass and f-85s were equipped with a hurst shifter.
Old February 14th, 2017, 06:46 PM

Appearance of the bend in the tail pipe for 1964 f-85
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0390.JPG (1.20 MB, 9 views)
Old February 15th, 2017, 12:33 PM

These pics are from inside the engine compartment where the fender emblems were attached. Two pics are before I sprayed WD40 to clean up the dust. There is some kind of coating that was sprayed inside where the 442 emblems attach on the front fenders it looks like over the trim nuts. It looks factory to me - it is not some kind of scrapable undercoating. Thoughts?

Old February 15th, 2017, 12:58 PM

Btw, try to preserve or document those chalk markings.