New Member just bought 1964 442

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2017, 11:47 AM

Good information, Keener. My car has original cut rubber dual exhaust hangers which indicate the 4 barrel version. I cant imaging someone special ordering a 3.08, but I guess stranger things have happened.

I am supposed to be having some follow up conversations with the former owner about her history with the car. She thinks it used to be a police car, but I see nothing that would indicate this.
Old February 16th, 2017, 01:08 PM

where new?

Originally Posted by Asusport
Good information, Keener. My car has original cut rubber dual exhaust hangers which indicate the 4 barrel version. I cant imaging someone special ordering a 3.08, but I guess stranger things have happened.

I am supposed to be having some follow up conversations with the former owner about her history with the car. She thinks it used to be a police car, but I see nothing that would indicate this.

Where was the car sold new? The 3.08 might indicate a plains/prairies location.
Old February 18th, 2017, 06:30 AM

Would you please post a picture of the deck lid underside along the lip/lock area? It would be greatly appreciated,thanks.
Old February 18th, 2017, 01:34 PM

Old February 18th, 2017, 02:24 PM

Thanks much for the picture. My 64 442 Conv. has the same deck lid with the access holes for the Oldsmobile trunk script like a 65 has. It's for sale on eBay and a guy asked if the deck lid had been changed because of the access holes. It got me to thinking,did they have a mid year change on the deck lids. All 65's had the "OLDSMOBILE" trunk letters and if a 65 lid was used on a 64,the holes would have to be filled/welded and my car shows no indication of any holes being done as such. Maybe Keener has some input on this subject. I'm also having issues identifying my rear axle code. I know it's supposed to be a 3.36 "E" code but my stamping looks like a "B" with the slight impression of the top part of the "E" right below it. I have seen double stamped housings before and was wondering if this might be the case. Here's a picture of my stamping.
Old February 20th, 2017, 09:28 AM

The trunk lid access holes appear in production late April and onward. Likely for access to the Oldsmobile trunk letters seen on the 65 cars. However, careful inspection betweenthe 64 and 65 reveals the holes are more oval in 64 and become square in 65.

Your axle code appears to be "B" with a build date of 181. The B stands for 3.23 gears, rather than the manufacturer of the axle, which in some cases is B for Buick. The two manufacturers in 64 would be B-Buick and P-Pontiac. I can explain more if you or others don't understand...in short BOP used two different codings, one had a letter designated manufacturer followed by gear ratio and the other coding used a letter designated gear ratio followed by a numerical build date. If you believe there is a double stamp, continue to remove the paint from the bottom of the axle housing. I have a car with stamping on the very bottom. Took awhile to find it. A 181 build date would find it's way into a car built July and onward (basically a car at the beginning of the 64 model year or end of 64 and into 65 model year).
Old February 20th, 2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Keener
The trunk lid access holes appear in production late April and onward. Likely for access to the Oldsmobile trunk letters seen on the 65 cars. However, careful inspection betweenthe 64 and 65 reveals the holes are more oval in 64 and become square in 65.

Your axle code appears to be "B" with a build date of 181. The B stands for 3.23 gears, rather than the manufacturer of the axle, which in some cases is B for Buick. The two manufacturers in 64 would be B-Buick and P-Pontiac. I can explain more if you or others don't understand...in short BOP used two different codings, one had a letter designated manufacturer followed by gear ratio and the other coding used a letter designated gear ratio followed by a numerical build date. If you believe there is a double stamp, continue to remove the paint from the bottom of the axle housing. I have a car with stamping on the very bottom. Took awhile to find it. A 181 build date would find it's way into a car built July and onward (basically a car at the beginning of the 64 model year or end of 64 and into 65 model year).
The code is on the bottom of the housing,not horizontal facing the rear. Do you know if any of the 442's had 3.23 axles? There seems to be some discussion about it If the date code is 181 & B code 3.23 gears,that would mean the rear axle in my car has been changed. If I wanted to find a correct 3.36 rear axle,how hard would that be? Did any 64 442's come with a B axle instead of a P axle?

Thanks

Mike
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:33 PM

I'm not aware of the discussion regarding the gear ratio being 3.23, where is that taking place? The literature shows 3.36 gears. The cars I've checked on in the past have 3.36 gears. They were all P code axles. As far as finding a P 3.36, my guess is it would be very difficult as it was used on 442s and as an optional gear ratio.

Last edited by Keener; February 20th, 2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:41 PM

I'm not aware of the discussion regarding the gear ratio being 3.23, where is that taking place? The literature shows 3.36 gears. The cars I've checked on in the past have 3.36 gears. As far as finding a P 3.36, my guess is it would be very difficult as it was used on 442s and as an optional gear ratio.
Not specifically a 3.23 ratio but the Club Coupe we have been discussing has a 3.08 ratio axle. There was something said about a magazine test car having something different than a 3.36 axle. The article in the JWO Dec 14 issue that has the big write up on the 64 442's mentions a 3.55 ratio axle in a car they found. I'm not trying to prove anything on way or the other,just trying to learn all I can.

Thanks
Old February 20th, 2017, 07:01 PM

I'll need to re-read that article. I do not recall any specifics about rear axle ratio, but I forget things every day. Regarding the club coupe car, there are visible chaulk marks which I've not seen before and could be factory or could also be salvage yard designations. I'll reach out to the 64 442 owners I know and see what axle codes they have.
Old February 21st, 2017, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
There was something said about a magazine test car having something different than a 3.36 axle.
I wouldn't trust anything you read about magazine test cars. First, they may not have reported what they were told, been told the wrong information, or didn't count teeth themselves. Second, magazine test cars were not production cars. Anything could be different -- both good and bad. For example, I have a magazine test of a '70 W-30 which clearly shows the 2-letter engine code tape on the filler tube saying it was just a 442 engine, not W-30. Of course, that doesn't prove what was or wasn't inside the engine.
Old February 21st, 2017, 05:48 PM

He's referring to the motor trend September 1964 review of the 64 442, not the december 2014 JWO article. The article from MT specifically states the car had 3.55 gears rather than the factory specified 3.36 gears. Which was likely done to further enhance performance. Only the clever reader would catch that change.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 06:47 AM

I just found this thread. There are two 65 deck lids. One with smaller oval holes and one with larger square holes for access to the letter nuts.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 09:15 AM

I spent a lot of time back and forth via email, phone and text with him. It was his aunts car and she lived 10 miles away from him so it took a while to find things out although he was very helpful in the process.

All the 442s I find are Cutlasses. If this is real - which I suspect - it is one of the 148 club coupes. I also haven't found a 442 in Bermuda Blue - paint code H.
Nice car
I have a 1963 F-85 conv. paint code H Cirrus Blue. Looks like they carried the color over to 1964 and changed the name.
Good luck with it