Berejik 1977 442

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2017, 08:31 AM

Hi All,

We have been working on the car off and on over the winter and I have decided to keep it as is and not paint it. I just bring myself to disturb the original unmolested paint despite the chips and runs. Thanks to everyone for helping convince me to leave it alone body wise. So far we have completed:

-All new brakes with OEM Delco parts. I had to put a master cylinder in as the original was leaking. New brake fluid but lines were fine and left.
-Front and rear suspension bushings completely replaced due to age and cracking. New KYB shocks replaced leaking originals.
-Replaced leaking oil pan gasket and I am now convinced the low miles are accurate. When I pulled the pan, there was no sediment or other debris that one would expect with a high mileage car. Further, the crank and pistons were still bright and shiny like the day they were put in. No gunk or other crap was evident.
-New fluid in rear limited slip.
-Transmission serviced with new fluid and filter that replaced what could have been original dark brown nasty stuff. Trans output seal was replaced due to leak.
-Replaced radiator, thermostat, hoses and belts and flushed cooling system. The coolant was nasty as well as it came out brown and muddy. It took 3 flushes with the machine to backflush the block and heater core to finally get it all out. I'm thinking it was original stuff. I also replaced the temp sending unit but the gauge still works intermittently. Any suggestions?
-I replaced the accelerator pump in the carb but I know I need to have it rebuilt at some point. Any suggestions in the Twin Cities or where to send it to?
-Distributor cap and rotor are original and look fine as are the plug wires. I replaced the plugs with Delco.
-I replaced the motor mounts as well due to age and cracking.
-I bought new Kelsey Goodyear Polysteel repops to replace the 2001 date coded tires.

I will be cleaning and detailing the next few weeks to freshen it up but the interior is really nice except for some yellowing. It also needs a new exhaust as the original is in rough shape. Would you put the dual setup from the 73-74 cars on it or leave it with the wheezy single pipe for originality? Is Waldrons a good source or somewhere else? If I do go dual, who here has a double hump crossmember that I could purchase?

As always, input and suggestions are welcome.
Old March 5th, 2017, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Asusport
My parents special-ordered a 403 442 in 1977. I grew up in this and learned how to drive in this car in the midwest as our family car and waxed it multiple times. Although beautiful, I remember paint quality lacking with an occasional sags and runs. You should be able to support the stated mileage based on the condition of the interior, for example the rubber on the brake pedal and as mentioned the white hard plastic pieces.

Our car was white with maroon striping. I remember a lot of chips in the maroon near the ground. Any chip is going to show up worse with a dark color stripe over a white base.

Beautiful car - beautiful color combo!
Thank you!
Old March 5th, 2017, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by 78Cutlass4Speed
I found it! I may have another picture but this is the best I can do for now. You can see the 1979 Hurst/Olds that was in George's collection (that car is currently mine now), the white 1977 Cutlass parked to the left of it, and then the white 77 442 parked to its left! Although there isn't much of the car shown, I remember the car and can tell that's it. If you look at the rear quarter window it's totally different than the other 77 next to it. This was taken in 1996 or 1997 at the annual car show at his dealership in Needham, MA. He had a lot of nice cars in his collection.
In regards to your car... I would leave it alone. They're only original once!
That is great, thank you for the information and pic!!