Found 1967 442 - Paint Question

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2016, 08:19 AM

Arrow Found 1967 442 - Paint Question

Hello everyone. In my search for a decently priced 1967 or 1966 442, I recently came upon one fairly local to me that is a 1967 442 Holiday Coupe. The car is unmolested and has been kept up is in very very nice shape both inside and out. Always a desert car and no rust or rot anywhere. The blue interior and dash is very nice with the buckets being recovered a few years ago. I see no cracks on the dash. It has the matching number engine and turbo-hydramatic 400 tranny with console shifter. The current owner has had this car for about 6 years and has put in a new radiator, rebuilt correct Rochester carb, and new brakes, etc. Black vinyl roof was recently replaced. She has about 70K on odometer. She has chrome valve covers and a really clean engine compartment and undercarriage. Anyhow, the paint from the photos shows to be very shiny and the body is stunningly straight with very nice chrome bumpers but its a single stage paint job. My question is; does having a single stage paint job de-value the car at all over a traditional base coat clear coat? I'm very serious about wanting to purchase this car this week but torn over the paint issue. Paint jobs these days are $10K plus and that's something I wanted to avoid doing. The owner said that he rates the paint a 6.5 out of 10 when I asked him but I think he's being conservative due to some minor chips in some places which he spoke of that just need touching up. I told him I would like to show it at some local events because it looks so presentable. Let me know your thoughts about the paint question...oh he wants $16K for the car.
Old September 19th, 2016, 08:30 AM

That car didn't come with a base/clear paint job when new, why would a single stage paint reduce value? Unless it's poorly applied or the wrong paint for the application.
Old September 19th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jberenyi
It has the matching number engine and turbo-hydramatic 400 tranny with console shifter.
Unless you have the Protect-O-Plate, there are no numbers that "match" on a 67 Olds. Oldsmobile didn't start stamping the VIN derivative on the block and trans case until the 1968 model year. If you do have the P-O-P, the engine and trans unit numbers will be on the P-O-P, along with the VIN. This is as close to verifying the original engine and trans as you can get on a 67.

The original paint was lacquer. The single stage vs BC/CC choice is yours. The advantage to BC/CC is that you can color sand and buff the clear, as you used to be able to do with lacquer, so it tends to look better than single stage.
Old September 19th, 2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by texxas
That car didn't come with a base/clear paint job when new, why would a single stage paint reduce value? Unless it's poorly applied or the wrong paint for the application.
Thanks. Been out of the collector scene for a while and just didn't know. The paint job is beautiful and correctly applied.
Old September 19th, 2016, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unless you have the Protect-O-Plate, there are no numbers that "match" on a 67 Olds. Oldsmobile didn't start stamping the VIN derivative on the block and trans case until the 1968 model year. If you do have the P-O-P, the engine and trans unit numbers will be on the P-O-P, along with the VIN. This is as close to verifying the original engine and trans as you can get on a 67.

The original paint was lacquer. The single stage vs BC/CC choice is yours. The advantage to BC/CC is that you can color sand and buff the clear, as you used to be able to do with lacquer, so it tends to look better than single stage.

Thanks for the info. I asked if he had the POP but alas no. At least I can say it has the correct engine and tranny
Old September 19th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks for the info. I asked if he had the POP but alas no. At least I can say it has the correct engine and tranny
And they may very well be original, just not "numbers matching".

There's an ad in the local Craigslist today for a "numbers matching" Pontiac motor. No car, just a motor. What does it "match", I wonder.
Old September 19th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Randy C.

My '68 is a BC/CC in the original color, which looks great. My '69 is a single stage lacquer paint job in the original color back in 1992, which also looks great. I have a '71 Corvette repainted in single stage lacquer in 1980 and touched up in 2015, which also looks great. I wouldn't be worried about the single stage paint job if the car is what you want.

That's funny about the numbers-matching Pontiac engine!

Randy C.
Old September 19th, 2016, 02:00 PM

Hello everyone.

My question is; does having a single stage paint job de-value the car at all over a traditional base coat clear coat?
Absolutely none what so ever; however, original paint vs a repainted car (in any number of stages) would.

Good luck with the car, we'd love to see some pics
Old September 20th, 2016, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketguy
Absolutely none what so ever; however, original paint vs a repainted car (in any number of stages) would.

Good luck with the car, we'd love to see some pics
Will show the pics tomorrow and would like some opinions.