Removing back panel on bucket seats

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2013, 09:43 AM

Removing back panel on bucket seats

Any suggestions on how to remove the seat release button in the center of the back of these bucket seats? Or how to remove the whole panel?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (34.0 KB, 40 views)
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:04 AM

You'll need to gently pry it out. What's been suggested as useful is to take two putty knives and wrap some electrical tape around them to protect the plastic back. Then gently work from opposite sides prying up. Eventually it will pop out, but the outside trim around the button is plastic and can break easily so don't get in a hurry. It's been a while since I've removed one of these but I have some seat backs in the garage if it would help to see pictures. From what I remember there's two screws at the bottom where the seat back meets the seat bottom. Once you have the release button removed and these two screws pull the bottom out and push up. There's two "hooks" cast into the plastic that fit into the metal framework of the seatback. You'll need to push up to get it off these. John
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:16 AM

There are spring clips on the sides of the button so as John suggested, use putty knives to push them in and it should pop up and off. There will be another screw behind this button that holds the seat back in place and there will likely be 3 screws at the bottom. Once these screws are removed, pull the bottom out slightly and push up like John mentioned.

Brian
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:42 AM

Putty knives worked great, once I got it pried up a bit I did slide in a screw driver to release the clip, putty knives I was using weren't stiff enough.

Thanks for your help here!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (32.7 KB, 65 views)