Need help deciphering cowl tag

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2013, 02:55 PM

Need help deciphering cowl tag

What I get from it is 1972 Holiday Coupe Flame Orange. Can't figure out the rest. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
724222.jpg (74.7 KB, 39 views)
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:43 PM

72 = 1972
3 = GM Division (Oldsmobile)
36 = Cutlass with V8
87 = 2 Door Hardtop Fastback Coupe
Z = Freemont, Ca Assembly Plant
09065?? = Fisher Body Unit #
947 = White in color themed interior with bench front seat
65 = Flame Orange Lower Body Color
65 = Flame Orange Upper Body Color
06B = 2nd week of June 1972 build date
A51 = ?

Don't know the other numbers from what I remember those are unique to Z-plant

Last edited by stevengerard; March 13th, 2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old March 13th, 2013, 04:19 PM

Thank you Steven.
Old March 13th, 2013, 05:15 PM
"Car"mudgeon

A51 = Strato Bucket Seats
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:20 PM

GAOldsman said -A51 = Strato Bucket Seats

stevengerard said -947 = White in color themed interior with bench front seat

I do appreciate the responses BUT which is it bench or buckets ?
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:39 PM
"Car"mudgeon

I am going with white buckets although

947 = White Cloth Bench
A52 = Standard Bench
A51 = Strato Buckets
937 = White buckets
it could be a typo somewhere What's in the car now? Hmm
Old March 13th, 2013, 06:42 PM
"Car"mudgeon

I got it!! It's an oxymoron
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
A51 = Strato Bucket Seats
I am going with white buckets although

947 = White Cloth Bench
A52 = Standard Bench
A51 = Strato Buckets
937 = White buckets
it could be a typo somewhere What's in the car now? Hmm
White buckets and interior with console including Hurst dual gate shifter.
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Randy C.

As I recall, the '72 model year was a little different in what the numbers meant for the trim code. For '72 in many cases, the trim code just meant what color the interior was and then there was an option code to show the front seat type. The trim tag with 947 means white interior, and the A51 code means strato buckets.

Randy C.
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
As I recall, the '72 model year was a little different in what the numbers meant for the trim code. For '72 in many cases, the trim code just meant what color the interior was and then there was an option code to show the front seat type. The trim tag with 947 means white interior, and the A51 code means strato buckets.

Randy C.
Well then that settles that ! Thanks Randy !!!!!
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
The trim tag with 947 means white interior, and the A51 code means strato buckets.
Exactly!

The CS could be delivered with EITHER A65 (split bench with armrest) or A51 (Strato Buckets) as standard equipment. Strangely enough even if you got the A51 option it didn't guarantee that you got the D55 console - that was a separate option. I have seen 72 CS's with buckets and column shift as delivered from factory.
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by stevengerard
72 = 1972

36 = Cutlass with V8
87 = 2 Door Hardtop Fastback Coupe

947 = White in color themed interior with bench front seat
Steve, I don't know where you are getting your info from, but *multiple* factory info confirms the 3687 to be a Cutlass S Hardtop Coupe model.
There is no "Hardtop Fastback Coupe" at all.
947 is the code for the white interior on this model, both bench *(std) and bucket (optional). Also for the bench (only available) seat in the Cutlass S Sports Coupe. The A51 bucket seat RPO code wouldn't be on the tag if it was standard equipment.

Blackpage, you can look it all up free of charge at Wild About Cars

Wild About Cars. http://wildaboutcars.com. An information supersource, especially Oldsmobile. More Olds content than anywhere else on the internet and continuing to grow.
You'll find Chassis Service Manuals, Product Information Manuals (AKA Assembly Manuals), Inspector's Manuals, and other documents that will contain this and much much more.
Dealer Brochures, magazine ads and articles, and the Automotive History Preservation Society library growing daily.
Free to join, free to learn
Old March 13th, 2013, 07:44 PM
"Car"mudgeon

I have a book (although there are errors in most data compilations) that shows each model year in the era with it broke down between each A body model and B-C body model. That said it states Cutlass S 2 dr Hardtop and Coupe that 947 = White cloth bench seats and 937 = White buckets seats. The very same trim code since '69 for Cutlass and 442 respectfully.

This is the first I've heard of '72 being different as well as an oxymoron or typo if you will on the trim tag. I'd like to see something like maybe a factory bulletin or document stating this. I wonder if '73 was "different" like you say for '72? Being that this was a fairly late build 2nd week of June and roughly 1 - 1 1/2 month(s) away from the '73 model year.

Maybe something to do with Freemont? My '72 was built in Lansing the 1st week of June and has 973 (blue buckets) instead of 983 (blue bench) and A51 (Strato buckets)

But my Fisher Body book states that where his A51 is located on the tag is for "modular seat code GMAD use only" and my A51 is located in the ACC (bottom) where the "modular seat code" is supposed to be.
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:35 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Further digging suggests

"not to confuse the interior code on the P-O-P with trim code on the Fisher Body Tag. These codes are not the same. The codes on the Fisher Tag indicate a specific interior trim, while those on the P-O-P indicate only the color. A single letter was used on the P-O-P through '68 and because of this confusion, the interior code on the P-O-P was cancelled from '69 - '72."

Is this what you guys were thinking or is there other documentation stating the fact that Randy first pointed out? Not calling anyone out or nothing, just trying to understand why if that was the case then wouldn't my trim tag say 983 as this would have been standard instead of the 973?

Also there was the two digit codes used on the build sheets and window stickers for instance mine says 33 in that area that translates to blue vinyl Strato buckets as to where 43 translates to cloth bench. As to where this one in question would have been 37 for white Strato buckets and 17 for white bench.
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Steve, I don't know where you are getting your info from, but *multiple* factory info confirms the 3687 to be a
that was a quick copy and paste mistake, my bad.
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The A51 bucket seat RPO code wouldn't be on the tag if it was standard equipment.
Really? I've seen many a 72 Cutlass Supreme with A51 or A65 on the cowl tag, and those were both standard seats for the CS that year.
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:51 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Even the '72 Fisher Body Service Manual states specifically "The body number plate identifies the model year, car division, series, style, body assembly plant, body number, trim combination, modular seat code, paint code and date code"

Fig 1-1 shows where his A51 is located "for GMAD use only" as I am leaning toward a change order for this car personally until I see otherwise......
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:56 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Allan R
Really? I've seen many a 72 Cutlass Supreme with A51 or A65 on the cowl tag, and those were both standard seats for the CS that year.
That is correct as I wasn't charged for the Strato bucket seats on my car just for the 4-way power seat option.
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:00 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Allan you have the '72 Dealer Album does any of the technical bulletins show anything regarding this issue of a generic color code instead of the standardized trim combination code we are discussing?
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:49 AM

Allan you have the '72 Dealer Album does any of the technical bulletins show anything regarding this issue of a generic color code instead of the standardized trim combination code we are discussing?
Its not a generic color code.
Attached Files
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:27 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Okay so 947 is "generic" for white vinyl for the Cutlass S, whether it is bench or buckets on the Cutlass S. This answers my question to the validity of the subject. Thanks for sharing this info and thank you Randy C for bringing this to light for us.
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:37 AM

[QUOTE=wmachine;520349]

Wild About Cars. http://wildaboutcars.com.

I did. I used the Sevice Manual and could not find the info on the interior. Must have overlooked it if it was in there.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks Wmachine. The trim code page was and will be very helpful. Pages from 1964-1973 Trim Codes.pdf (67.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Blackpage; March 14th, 2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old March 14th, 2013, 07:22 AM

[QUOTE=Blackpage;520442]

Wild About Cars. http://wildaboutcars.com.

I did. I used the Sevice Manual and could not find the info on the interior. Must have overlooked it if it was in there.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks Wmachine. The trim code page was and will be very helpful. Pages from 1964-1973 Trim Codes.pdf (67.2 KB, 3 views)
That page was pulled from the 1972 Parts & Accessories catalog, Body Section already online at WAC. I'm starting to post these as "Interior Codes" under "Specifications" there. But I have not got to the '70s yet.
This same info (in greater detail) should be mirrored in the '72 Assembly Manual. The Assembly Manual is the single most comprehensive source of codes and such information, and I would always start there when looking for technical data.
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Scot, I pulled the Dealer Guide and had a look through all the interior trims and grain patterns for all the models. There is nothing listed as a 'default' color. At a guess though I'd suggest the most popular or prevalent color you'll find is black. As most are aware, Olds offered recommended or suggested color choices, but I'm sure that wasn't enforced if someone wanted to special order a car. I've never seen a factory built A body that didn't have one of the recommended color suggestions applied to the trim though. I think we've all seen that one reference on C.O. in the last while about a default trim color, but IIRC it was for an earlier model Cutlass and the interior trim still matched the model.

An interesting note though. You know the materials used for the Cutlass, Cutlass S and Cutlass Supreme (vinyl seats - either bench or bucket) was all the same based on the naugahyde and cloth swatches in the guide. However, the code used to describe the trim varies from 900, 910, 920 940 for the base and Cutlass/Cutlass S. The CS uses 950 and 970/978 for the same color. The only thing that appears to be 'generic' is the 2 digit material/color coding that appears in the AM (see Kurts link). They also appear in the 72 SPECS booklet on page dealing with Interior Trim Material Availability. That chart is about as generic but specific as you can get in a small table.

Given that, it would be reasonable to conclude the variations in the 900 numbers listed reflect the stitching and design pattern of the door panels and seats.

So, stating 947 is generic for white vinyl seats for Cutlass S isn't really correct. It is the specific color and pattern for the seats being used for that model. If you looked at the Cutlass or Cutlass Supreme the TR color would change to 917, 927 and 977.
Old March 14th, 2013, 12:47 PM

Kurt - U DA MAN !
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:52 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Thanks for your research Al

Originally Posted by Allan R

So, stating 947 is generic for white vinyl seats for Cutlass S isn't really correct.
I said generic because the code 947 means any white in color seat for the Cutlass S in '72 as to where in previous years you were able to decipher the code to place the type and color theme of the interior. As to where in '72 you assume it has standard seats unless it has yet another code for buckets or a more elaborate bench seat such as A51 or A65.

For an example look at the '70 Cutlass S and 442 for white (or ivory rather) it shows 937v and 947v that isn't "generic" at all because 937v = ivory vinyl buckets and 947v = ivory vinyl bench and fairly straight forward.

Oh nevermind It was settled when I saw that pdf last night