Look at the 442 on this website

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2010, 02:24 PM
442forsure

Look at the 442 on this website

This one should promote some discussion!!! Look at the colour of the engine and the "factory guages"

Pat Mills

www.flemingsultimategarage.com
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:30 PM

you mean the red convertible,looks like a Cutlass turned into a 442 clone, but looks decent - sure there is a ton wrong from the grill to the deck lid key trim to stripes in the wrong place
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:37 PM

it hurts to much to watch. it would take a week to determine how many things were wrong and told wrong. the stripes were horrible. he pointed out that you know the floor shift car by the indicator in the speedometer. wow, just hurts my head to much.

i am referring to the video
Old April 15th, 2010, 07:46 PM
442forsure

No the silver '67 convertible.
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Trying to remember member

Pat, this is, unfortunately, quite typical of the offerings out there now a days by dealers and on E-bay. "Incorrect" is far more the rule than the exception. One can make it a full time job to go around a find the flaws on all the cars out there.
Maybe there should be a thread category here on CO for critiquing cars for sale.
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Pat, this is, unfortunately, quite typical of the offerings out there now a days by dealers and on E-bay. "Incorrect" is far more the rule than the exception. One can make it a full time job to go around a find the flaws on all the cars out there.
Maybe there should be a thread category here on CO for critiquing cars for sale.
Last year there was a red 1970 442 ragtop clone - AND IT WAS A REAL SX CUTLASS . roger was told many times to keep it an SX Cutlass, but I guess the kid who have it before was turing the G-body into a 442.

This car was a Classic Convertibles in Freeport,Maine.
The list:
Non matching motor (1971 G head 455), seat brace was welded to the floor, poor body work, no blow fan, A-6 GM compressor was shot (clutch froze up), no blower fan, no a/c hoses, no dyer, no inter a/c hoses (Roger was charged $2000 for the "detailing of the air condtion system". Heck my father was been in the automtive a/c buiness for 45+ years, he would of done a free estimate. My would never charged 2 grand for a "detail job" ), non matching door panels (the insert wood paneling), the console shifter was super loose,
no 442 steering wheel (ie did not have the "X" pattern sports wheel).
Non GM intake and carb, chipped rear quarter glass (on top). Plus a bunch of other stuff. My point is Roger still got $25,000 for this SX/442 clone.
Old April 17th, 2010, 08:55 AM

As far as the engine paint goes, the photo can sometimes change the tint of the actual
color.
Old April 17th, 2010, 09:23 AM

Engine color looks pretty accurate to me. Most are copper, or like mine brown. Mines getting repainted this summer.
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:53 PM
"me somebody" site member

Yes, that would make such threads much easier to avoid.

I considered buying that car before I bought my current '67; ultimately, I decided I didn't like the color or the fact that it was a column shifted automatic. But lets see...an upholstery kit, a radio, some chambered tailpipes look to be all that car desperately needs for the OCD (I mean OCA) crowd (maybe a different intake and radiator as well). It even appears to have the correct antenna, which my car does not (oh the shame). Overall I don't think its a bad car at all, even if offered for too much and by a total g'mooch. Much of what is wrong with it can be corrected by someone with fairly minimal required expense (or talent). The upholstery is the only serious offender in my opinion.

I will say that car was listed on Ebay previously by a different seller and never broke $20K. Interestingly, I recall back then that it was said to have a "period-correct 425" and not the "date-code correct" 400 the current seller claims it has. Maybe that explains the higher price.
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:37 PM

wording can mean everything, dont claim 442 if its not. 442 clone is quite acceptable, people respect that. if its not ss dont sell it as ss.does look like a nice car though. the 425 would have been cool too. that engine color should be bronze and i have seen that shade. its a grey area that original bronze color. just like the red on your 425, some call it orange too, my 350 is gold nugget gold, not quite original but i like it.

IMG_3580.jpg
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
442forsure

Nice looking engine Stan!!! Met Wes at the swap meet today and he was telling me about your sweet car.

Pat
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:27 PM

Cool

yeah it was cool, funny how you can drink coffee standing in the rain,and talking cars for an hour, anything worth buying at the swap meet? i went to one here today, mostly tractors and vintage machinery, i did buy an old drive in speaker that hangs from the window. my wife just shook her head. why would you buy a speaker that doesnt work?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:40 PM
car guy

this picture alone tells me everything I need to know about that car. If they are willing to show this to the world what is the really bad stuff you would find

Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:54 PM
442forsure

For sure for sure Richard - couldn't believe I was seeing that.

No Oldsmobile stuff that I saw Stan. Haven't seen a lot of our cars on the island.

Pat
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:31 AM
Getting There

Pat sorry didn`t get to see you again my son was wanting to head out
It was great to meet you .. see you again soon
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:00 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by gearheads78
this picture alone tells me everything I need to know about that car. If they are willing to show this to the world what is the really bad stuff you would find

That just looks too weird! Makes my eyes hurt trying to focus and correct something that cannot be corrected by focus..
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by patmills
For sure for sure Richard - couldn't believe I was seeing that.

No Oldsmobile stuff that I saw Stan. Haven't seen a lot of our cars on the island.

Pat
Originally Posted by Oldsguy
That just looks too weird! Makes my eyes hurt trying to focus and correct something that cannot be corrected by focus..
Okay, guys. I've looked at that pic and still don't get it. The color is gone (typical) from the emblem, but I can't believe that is what you all are referring to. What is so glaring here that I seem to be missing?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:44 AM
Ben

guessing that a 442 should not have any CS badges?? I don't know either.

seems like all the classic dealers around here. Grossly overpriced.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:59 AM

I don't think that's it, because the emblem is totally correct. In '67, the 442 was an option available *only* on the Cutlass Supreme.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:02 PM
car guy

Okay, guys. I've looked at that pic and still don't get it. The color is gone (typical) from the emblem, but I can't believe that is what you all are referring to. What is so glaring here that I seem to be missing?
Look and the piece of bondo string that was not even sanded to the right of the lock cly. Also look at the overspray on the deteriorated lock cly seal. $30,000 car and simple details are missed is a big red flad for me.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:39 PM

Look and the piece of bondo string that was not even sanded to the right of the lock cly. Also look at the overspray on the deteriorated lock cly seal. $30,000 car and simple details are missed is a big red flad for me.
Okay, at least I know what you're referring to now. But I think that's pretty far down the list after things like incorrect seat upholstery, rusty hood hinges, aftermarket radio, and more.
If that was the worst that one could see............
Too typical I'm afraid.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
"me somebody" site member

Perfection is over-rated. I say mock the dealer who's selling the car all you like, but give the poor car a break. All that trunk lock shot shows is that its not a fully restored car.

Where are all the "take a look at my POS" threads?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:35 PM

Watch the video....if the salesman calls it a 4 forty two one more time, Im gonna.... anyway I would need to see underneath and the frame and doubt that as is is worth anywhere near the 29 G's lots of problems as far as correctness goes but nothing that cant be fixed if so desired. For me the seat pattern would have to go as well as those tailpipes. They need to be cut back at the least. Typical sales talk, everything is great and nothing is flawed....in his tale anyway.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:51 PM

Typical used car salesman b.s. (they're all the same)
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:55 PM
car guy

Okay, at least I know what you're referring to now. But I think that's pretty far down the list after things like incorrect seat upholstery, rusty hood hinges, aftermarket radio, and more.
If that was the worst that one could see............
Too typical I'm afraid.
I see tons of stuff not finished and incorrect but if they were willing to use a painter that let that go then there is going to be a ton more hidden.