blue w/ red stripe '68 442 W-30

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2009, 11:23 AM

blue w/ red stripe '68 442 W-30

I'm not sure who's car this is--it was on the Olds Club of AZ events page of images, but that color combo is awesome. Never seen one like that. Ever.

442bluered.jpg
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Thats got to be aftermarket. Wild.
Old April 7th, 2009, 11:48 AM

How come, Chad? I can't tell exactly what color that is from the pictures. Teal Frost? Ocean Turquoise? Teal Blue? In any event, they all came with the option of having the R-Red Rally Stripe option.

Now, is it possible the car didn't come this way? Absolutely. But, I have no idea if it wasn't original or not.
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM

I suppose you could order it any way you wanted it back then assuming you had the cash. I'm thinking now you get only certain option groups, and packages, and bright red would never be offered against pale blue today. At least not by GM. Kool, but not likely today. How is your "new" project coming BTW?
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:15 PM

That's definitely true. Times were way more imaginative and creative back then. I also belong to the sYC forums and we were talking about the Mod Tops on the Plymouths and similar tops on the Dodges in 1969-70. Have you seen them before? I forwarded them to my mom and her response was "what were we thinking back then?" haha. Here's one of note... http://www.showyourauto.com/am/listings/l0119.html

Thanks for asking. Well, it's coming along. I'm gathering parts (and my senses) after the loss of my friend Dick. He was helping me a ton, so I was forced to not only find people to pick up the slack, but also parts he had found that we weren't able to find when gathering my stuff from his shop. While I was back, I got most of the car stipped and sanded. I had to farm out the remainder of the work, however, as there was no way I was getting this car done by the end of June otherwise. Currently, the body work is being finished and should soon be ready for paint. Found an engine builder to finish putting together the engine. Had to buy a new oil tube, timing cover & harmonic balancer, as they were not around when I went to get the engine. So, all in all, when I go back in May, things should be in order for me to start reassembly. Which is worrisome. haha. I actually just bought another Assembly Manual so I can review it here in NY on my free time.
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM

That's definitely true. Times were way more imaginative and creative back then. I also belong to the sYC forums and we were talking about the Mod Tops on the Plymouths and similar tops on the Dodges in 1969-70. Have you seen them before? I forwarded them to my mom and her response was "what were we thinking back then?" haha. Here's one of note... http://www.showyourauto.com/am/listings/l0119.html

must be all that LSD. Glad to hear things are back on track.
Old April 8th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by csstrux
I suppose you could order it any way you wanted it back then assuming you had the cash.?
That is simply not true. Not from the factory. Sure there were inconsistencies and various exceptions, but that certainly doesn't mean that anything was possible.
On the other had, quite a bit more *was* possible at the dealer. Except for warranty considerations, a dealer could do whatever they wanted to give the customer what they wanted.
Old April 8th, 2009, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
That is simply not true. Not from the factory. Sure there were inconsistencies and various exceptions, but that certainly doesn't mean that anything was possible.
On the other had, quite a bit more *was* possible at the dealer. Except for warranty considerations, a dealer could do whatever they wanted to give the customer what they wanted.
I have read stuff alluding to that, but wasn't even an itch in my dads pants yet. I guess I wasn't as clear as I should have been, also sometimes not 100% sure as I wasn't there. Which is just as well life sounds like it was a bit too psychedelic for me anyhow
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Red was a factory available color for the W36 stripe in 1968. The factory had RECOMMENDED stripe colors for each paint color, but you could have ordered it this way if you wanted to. It's hard to tell at the angle of the photo, but at least the stripe appears to be in the right place...
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:44 AM

Well that is different. Not a big fan of the red and blue together, myself.
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:35 PM

Of course, I like it....

Mine is the original color Turquoise (KK), but the red stripe was added by a previous owner. I happen to like it, so left it as is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
68olds.jpg (49.2 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by 4speedBench; April 12th, 2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 4speedBench
Of course, I like it....

Mine is the original color Turquoise (KK), but the red stripe was added by a previous owner. I happen to like it, so left it as is.
I'm not saying a word...

Pretty car, though.
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm not saying a word...
LOL!
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:21 AM

I gather my stripe is not "aligned" correctly?? Since that's Joe's bag. No harm to me, I didn't put it on. I was more interested to confirm the car was always this color, which I did by all previous owners and it's original cowl tag and window sticker.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:47 AM

I am so glad you posted this picture!! I have a 68 442 that was just decoded by GM Canada and the colors are F: Teal Frost Metallic and R: Scarlet. I've been searching all morning trying to find examples of those colors on a 68. I was rather hoping Teal Frost Metallic was more of a silvery color....I agree that I don't think they'd offer that color combo today
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM

That's awesome. Post some pics of your car when you have a chance.