acclerator cable/other woes :(

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2009, 10:14 PM

acclerator cable/other woes :(

Hello again everyone! Well I was able to install some of my new parts I got for the olds.. but I was wondering if anyone had a picture of their engine (1968 442) with the air cleaner off. The 400 and 455 engine were about the same.. but I am trying to see how the throttle cable is supposed to link up. It would be easier if the orig quad carb was in there but I have some edelbrock carb in there now (I think one of the performer series kind). The throttle cable is about 1 inch or so too long. The old one I took out was just some universal kind that was wrapped around the distro, and used a piece of wire,nuts, zipties to hook it all up lol. So I am not sure what the problem is...

I just need to hook it up "semi correctly". I want to change the fluids before winter really gets bad here in Ohio. I would like to try and find an orig carb to put on eventually, so things look more stock. Any pictures would also help me in seeing how things are routed. I have an assembly manual, but I noticed quite a few pages are missing..

Hood alignment.... I know this was kind of hard to do in my old chevy.. but can anyone give me some hints? The front seems to be ok, but the hood starts to rise going back toward the firewall.

I have to apologize if I ask some dumb questions, but I am really a greenhorn. I worked on a my 56 chevy a few yrs ago, and it was a lot more "simple" to work on LOL. Thanks in advance!
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:44 AM

Fusick would be my first choice but they list their cable as fitting a 69-72. The one below says 68-72. Not sure who is correct but I would lean towards Fusick.

I had an Edelbrock and a Holley on my car and the cable matched up fine with the original bracket.

http://www.supercarsunlimited.com/It...CategoryID=374

Last edited by 4fortwo; October 6th, 2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the info! I think I got mine from year one..Maybe I should have ordered from fusicks. The cable hooks up to the pedal fine, and I have it rigged at the carb using half of an orig bracket. But there is an inch of slack.. with the pedal at the "rest" position there is an inch of so of cable sticking out of the retainer...push down on the gas, and nothing moves. Maybe my actual pedal rod was messed with? It could have been bent inward more for that universal cable that was in there.. I will have to mess around with it a bit.