67 442 cowl tag help

Old October 1st, 2012, 03:47 PM
  #81  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,083
The "5H" is from a Delta 88 convertible ..... might not be the easiest to find an answer.
hurst68olds is offline  
Old December 27th, 2012, 12:08 PM
  #82  
Registered User
 
ggoudas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 93
Lightbulb Another Cowl Tag question

Any input is greatly appreciated,
Thanks for all the info I have found.
This web sight is awsome.

Below is what i have looked up on my Cowl Tag.
Does any one know about the items on the bottom? Are the add on after or were they not listed in the Cowl tag area??




General Motors Corporation
06B Built Second Week of June D Not sure what the D is?

ST
67 1967
33817 Hard Top Holiday Coupe
LAN Lansing
29554 Production Number

TR Do I have this in car
970 Bucket Seats YES
P Passinger Seat Reclines YES
P-P Pewter-Pewter YES
E Soft Ray Tinted Glass YES
T Pontiac indicates Drivers Seat Is Power YES ?

2 Colum 2
E AC YES
G Center Console YES
T Rear Power Antenna YES
R Rear Speaker YES

3 Colum 3
B Rear Window Defoger YES

4 Colum 4
F Outside Remote Mirror YES

5 Colum 5
V 442 YES
Y Delux front seat belts YES

Are there any codes for these?
I also have these options.

Tilt wheel. YES
Cruise Control YES
Hi capacitor discharge ignition YES
Tic,Toc,TAC Gages YES
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1967CowlTag.jpg (28.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg
ShesBeautiful.jpg (80.3 KB, 22 views)
ggoudas is offline  
Old December 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM
  #83  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,083
Originally Posted by ggoudas View Post
Not sure what the D is?


Are there any codes for these?
I also have these options.

Tilt wheel. YES
Cruise Control YES
Hi capacitor discharge ignition YES
Tic,Toc,TAC Gages YES
I have NOT found any info or figured out what the "D" is for, but I've seen it on LANSING 442s & others. I've also seen "A"B"D"E"F"S" in that position - any ideas?

There are two codes in the 1-5 COLUMN section that I've found without a decode - "3U" & "5H".

Tilt wheel - not coded in COLUMN 1-5 format
Cruise Control - ??
Hi capacitor discharge ignition - ??
Tic,Toc,TAC Gages - not coded in COLUMN 1-5 format
hurst68olds is offline  
Old December 27th, 2012, 03:48 PM
  #84  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,477
The cowl tag was used by Fisher body. Any options added later would not be on the tag.
Run to Rund is offline  
Old December 27th, 2012, 04:34 PM
  #85  
Getting There
 
Ranzan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Regina S.K. Canada
Posts: 1,034
ggoudas that is one highly optioned car
Ranzan is offline  
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:01 PM
  #86  
Registered User
 
ggoudas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 93
Originally Posted by Run to Rund View Post
The cowl tag was used by Fisher body. Any options added later would not be on the tag.
Does that mean all these were added through the years?
I doubt someone would have added the UHV ignition and reworked it into the wiring harness??
Oh and does not coded in COLUMN 1-5 format mean those options were never added to any cowl tag??
Tilt wheel - not coded in COLUMN 1-5 format
Cruise Control - ??

Hi capacitor discharge ignition - ??
Tic,Toc,TAC Gages - not coded in COLUMN 1-5 format

Thanks and its inspiring to see others that finally got off there *** and got something finished. as you see my frame was off and blasted primed and is in black emeron. Now i just need to get my own garage and get something going again.
ggoudas is offline  
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:46 PM
  #87  
Trying to remember member
 
wmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,112
Originally Posted by ggoudas View Post
Does that mean all these were added through the years?
I doubt someone would have added the UHV ignition and reworked it into the wiring harness??
Oh and does not coded in COLUMN 1-5 format mean those options were never added to any cowl tag??
Tilt wheel - not coded in COLUMN 1-5 format
Cruise Control - ??

Hi capacitor discharge ignition - ??
Tic,Toc,TAC Gages - not coded in COLUMN 1-5 format

Thanks and its inspiring to see others that finally got off there *** and got something finished. as you see my frame was off and blasted primed and is in black emeron. Now i just need to get my own garage and get something going again.
The accessory codes on the Fisher Body data plate denote options that require something on or in the body or body related. It is not a code for the option itself, it is a code for a body modification.
For instances, tilt wheels, radios, ps, pb have nothing to do with the body, so there won't be an accessory code for them. Most of the body accessory codes are for particular body piercing required for the options.
So body accessory codes denote the presence or absence of some particular options only.
wmachine is offline  
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:24 PM
  #88  
Registered User
 
ggoudas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 93
That makes sence.
ggoudas is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 05:40 AM
  #89  
Registered User
 
Chesrown 67 OAI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dover, Ohio
Posts: 1,176
Originally Posted by wmachine View Post
The accessory codes on the Fisher Body data plate denote options that require something on or in the body or body related. It is not a code for the option itself, it is a code for a body modification.
For instances, tilt wheels, radios, ps, pb have nothing to do with the body, so there won't be an accessory code for them. Most of the body accessory codes are for particular body piercing required for the options.
So body accessory codes denote the presence or absence of some particular options only.
Kurt - Is there a logical explanation for why the cowl tag makes a determination between STd and Deluxe in the seat belt code? The both use the same body piercing? i understand the reason for the code for the optional center rear seat belt because of the needed additional body piercing but why is there a code change simply because of the finish on the buckles?
Chesrown 67 OAI is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:44 AM
  #90  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,477
Actually the center rear seat belt uses the two existing inner bolts. It just means that Fisher must have installed the seat belts into the body shell. The front fenders were obviously painted separately and couldn't be installed until the body drop on the frame, but the fenders supplied by Fisher were different for a 66 442, or a hood for a 67 442, hence the 5V. Also, Fisher either supplied the emblems and trim, or made sure the body piercings were correct since different models [or 442 option] used different piercings. In 66, for example, the quarters on a Cutlass had the emblems in front of the rear wheels, but F85 and 442 had the same piercings near the rear. F85 and Cutlass trunk lids had different piercings. The 442 shared the Cutlass piercings.

Last edited by Run to Rund; December 28th, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Run to Rund is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:03 AM
  #91  
Registered User
 
Chesrown 67 OAI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dover, Ohio
Posts: 1,176
Originally Posted by Run to Rund View Post
Actually the center rear seat belt uses the two existing inner bolts. It just means that Fisher must have installed the seat belts into the body shell. The front fenders were obviously painted separately and couldn't be installed until the body drop on the frame, but the fenders supplied by Fisher were different for a 66 442, or a hood for a 67 442, hence the 5V. Also, Fisher either supplied the emblems and trim, or made sure the body piercings were correct since different models [or 442 option] used different piercings. In 66, for example, the quarters on a Cutlass had the emblems in front of the rear wheels, but F85 and 442 had the same piercings near the rear. F85 and Cutlass trunk lids had different piercings. The 442 shared the Cutlass piercings.
Ugh! Youre right ( again) Joe!! The center belts are overlapped in the same inner holes!! And like you mention above --- the 67 "338" non-442 Cutlass Supreme had body pillar pierced for the C/S emblem! There were also 3 different 67 hoods, one for F-85(no center molding) and 1 for non 442 Cutlass(wirh center molding), and louvered for 442 all of which could be determined by cowl tag (if you consider the "v" as the indicator for the 442 on any of the "338" bodies!!
Chesrown 67 OAI is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 09:26 AM
  #92  
Trying to remember member
 
wmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,112
Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI View Post
Kurt - Is there a logical explanation for why the cowl tag makes a determination between STd and Deluxe in the seat belt code? The both use the same body piercing? i understand the reason for the code for the optional center rear seat belt because of the needed additional body piercing but why is there a code change simply because of the finish on the buckles?
Yes, there is. But you have to think of the logic back then, not the logic now! Now, we're trying to determine what options came on the car. Back then, they were just trying to build cars, and what they did was to that end.
I said that "most" of the codes were body piecing related. But not all. Think specifically about what has to done to the body before it leaves Fisher Body. Seat belts are included in the body assembly, and are not otherwise identified, so there is a code. The front clip is not part of the Fisher Body assembly , so there is no code for any of the hood and fender details.
wmachine is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 09:51 AM
  #93  
Registered User
 
Chesrown 67 OAI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dover, Ohio
Posts: 1,176
Originally Posted by wmachine View Post
Yes, there is. But you have to think of the logic back then, not the logic now! Now, we're trying to determine what options came on the car. Back then, they were just trying to build cars, and what they did was to that end.
I said that "most" of the codes were body piecing related. But not all. Think specifically about what has to done to the body before it leaves Fisher Body. Seat belts are included in the body assembly, and are not otherwise identified, so there is a code. The front clip is not part of the Fisher Body assembly , so there is no code for any of the hood and fender details.
Ah! sol- my Kind Friend -- Didnt know or realize the seat belts were installed at Fisher - so that makes perfect sense ---
BTW - Joe D reminded me that the center belts were overlapped in the center seat belt holes so no additional piercing was necessary, but , indeed, the code was needed for the assembly men belt installers to add the center belt set.
Obviously they didnt make a Fisher body piercing for the W30 battery vent tube or it would have had a code. As noted before the battery cables went through holes punched in the oval trunk floor plug/covers so good reason to not have a code. The battery cable hold-down clamp holes, the cable holes in the plugs and the vent hole in the floor were all written on the same print with exact hole placement locations detailed on the drawing!! Just not sure if same drawings were used on factory installations at assembly plant or were just the drawings that were provided with the "track Pak" over-the-counter OAI packages.
"Today there would be and "APP" for that!! LOL - Have a great day!!
Chesrown 67 OAI is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 05:31 PM
  #94  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,477
Interesting, Kurt. I assumed that the fenders and hood were painted by Fisher at the same time as the main body shell, and were supplied to the assembly plant. Are you saying that you have evidence to the contrary?
Run to Rund is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:15 PM
  #95  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,931
Originally Posted by Run to Rund View Post
Interesting, Kurt. I assumed that the fenders and hood were painted by Fisher at the same time as the main body shell, and were supplied to the assembly plant. Are you saying that you have evidence to the contrary?
Lansing Assembly 1965.

TK-65 is offline  
Old December 28th, 2012, 06:17 PM
  #96  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,931
Unless there is something I dont know, the hole in the floor for the 4 speed and the 3 speed are the same. But one is an L and the other is a B.
TK-65 is offline  
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:41 AM
  #97  
Trying to remember member
 
wmachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,112
Originally Posted by Run to Rund View Post
Interesting, Kurt. I assumed that the fenders and hood were painted by Fisher at the same time as the main body shell, and were supplied to the assembly plant. Are you saying that you have evidence to the contrary?
No, I'm not saying anything in that regard. Just that that as far as the codes go, the fenders and hood are not part of the body assembly. The fenders and hood did come from FB of course, but they were separate from the body when delivered to the assembly line.

Originally Posted by TK-65 View Post
Unless there is something I dont know, the hole in the floor for the 4 speed and the 3 speed are the same. But one is an L and the other is a B.
I believe the holes are indeed different.
wmachine is offline  
Old December 30th, 2012, 02:38 PM
  #98  
Registered User
 
65B01Delta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indiana, Southeastern
Posts: 968
Wow... Notice those Guys spraying the Hood & Fenders were not wearing any mask !!!
65B01Delta is offline  
Old December 31st, 2012, 01:14 PM
  #99  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 135
Originally Posted by 65B01Delta View Post
Wow... Notice those Guys spraying the Hood & Fenders were not wearing any mask !!!
Yeah, I did notice. They probably were allowed to smoke while painting too.
Ohhh the things we have learned since.
todd66442 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
1arunem
442
1
April 2nd, 2016 09:12 PM
L77F85
General Discussion
10
January 19th, 2015 11:47 AM
455Olds
General Questions
25
January 14th, 2014 02:33 PM
amesolds
442
6
April 19th, 2013 06:10 AM
JW1
442
7
March 14th, 2013 06:12 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 67 442 cowl tag help


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.