66 Dash Mounted Tach

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2009, 07:24 AM

66 Dash Mounted Tach

Ok guys here goes, I finally found the elusive 66 sidewinder tach, (at a price I could afford) I checked my shop manuel and it shows two types 1 for the padded dash and non padded dash. The padded dash shows only 2 holes needed to munt the tach with one screw holding the tach the other holes is for the wires. The tach I bought has to have three holes drilled into the dash pad and I do have the semi "L" shaped bracket. I have not seen a non padded dash for these cars, so my questions are as follows
1. Does the L shaped bracket mount to the underside of the dash pad and will be visibles next to the guages on the pad?
2. Was there a differant pad made so the bracket would not show?
3. Is there a template available to mount the tach correctly,
I replaced my dash pad with a quote a show quality pad that cost bucu bucks that was in worst shape than the one I was replacing. I see now these pads are being reproduced at fairly decent price, anyone bought one - Hows the quality. I want to mount this tach correctly 1 time using a nice pad either by sending my old pad to just -dashes or purchase the re-production unit
Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Trying to remember member

Sidewinder? Well okay if you say so. Always been just a "dash tach".
1. Yes
2. No.
3. Not that I know of. I'd take measurements from existing ones.
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the info, you mentioned taking measurements on an existing Dash Tach, the only problem is I seem to have the only 66 in my area, that I,ve heard of or seen- so anyone located in the South Alabama area with a 66 Dash Tach, mounted let me know would like to look at it
Thanks
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Smile

You might try looking in the 1966 Service Guild and Dealer Information Bulletins. There may have been a bulletin showing the service guys where to mount it. I don't know if there is, but you never can tell.
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Cameo White
You might try looking in the 1966 Service Guild and Dealer Information Bulletins. There may have been a bulletin showing the service guys where to mount it. I don't know if there is, but you never can tell.
I can verify there is nothing there.

Maybe someone can take close up pics with a ruler for you.
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by wmachine
Sidewinder? Well okay if you say so. Always been just a "dash tach".
"Sidewinder" is the term I've always seen used - as opposed to a top mount tach as used on some Chevys.
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:28 PM

I appreciate it guys, Coldwar that would be great on the pics- No hurry just when you get time- I don't know if it will work but if you could take a piece of paper and ouline the dash and trace over or color over with a pencil where it needs to go, the problem is the mount conforms to the dash with those two pegs sticking out there is no way to get it precise by quessing, so if the paper and pics don't work I have another dash and I can do the trial and error route, Thanks Again
Take Care
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:02 PM

I always heard it called sidewinder too. I also could use some help with the mounting instructions. The 66 assembly guide is very vague. Any help for me as well would be appreciated. By the way, my Sidewinder tach has the non L bracket. i noticed that some padded dashes have them and some use the semi L type. The assembly manual shows the L type like 66cv442 mentions.
Old May 26th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Ben

How is this going? I'd love to see some pics after you have it installed...

I'd sure like one, but too much $$$ for me
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by todd66442
I always heard it called sidewinder too. I also could use some help with the mounting instructions. The 66 assembly guide is very vague. Any help for me as well would be appreciated. By the way, my Sidewinder tach has the non L bracket. i noticed that some padded dashes have them and some use the semi L type. The assembly manual shows the L type like 66cv442 mentions.
I've always called them a side mount tach.

The first style mounting bracket was the narrow one. The wide one came out later in the model year to give additional support for the tach.

Henry