$64,000 Question

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2010, 02:32 PM

$64,000 Question

Hi Guys,

Here's the one question I've been meaning to ask since the day I joined the forum, and keep forgetting to do so. I've asked a million people this question and no one has an answer. Let's see how you do.

The car in question is my 72 W30. All original with 50K miles. Here's the question: Behind the pedals on the firewall is a plastic "carpet protector" for lack of a better word. You've all seen them for sale...black plastic and they run between $10 and $25 bucks. Mine is cracked where the clutch petal smacks into it at full travel. I've looked everywhere for a way to limit clutch pedal travel to stop cracking the protector....but don't see a way. When you're driving it's impossible to not push the clutch to the firewall, so I can't be the only one having this problem. So...for $64,000.....how do you limit clutch pedal travel to stop cracking the plastic carpet protector????

thanks,
bob
Old October 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM

Never been a big problem for me,I just make sure I don't slam the clutch down to hard.
Old October 20th, 2010, 07:05 PM

Hi 442Harv,

I hear ya, but even if the clutch pedal touches the plastic lightly it's gonna crack it....there's nothing hard behind the protector....only insulation. And as you're implying, it must be me. When I push the clutch in it's to the firewall. It's not a light feeling clutch, so engaged is out and disengaged is to the wall. I've tried to modulate.....but can't.

regards,
bob
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:07 PM

Bolt a stop block to the floor. When can I expect my money? lol
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:12 PM

Now Run......do you really think that answer is worth the whole $64,000? What I'm really asking is why isn't everone with a stock 4 speed cracking their carpet protector like I am? Same thing would apply for all GM A-bodies I presume....yet no one has ever complained...except me.

But I guess if no one can answer the question I'll have to send you a check. You DO take checks, right???

Have a great night!

bob
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

They're all cracked on MT A-bodies.
Fortunately, they made more AT's, so there's always a supply of replacements .

If you made a stop, you'd have to be darn sure you still had enough pedal travel to completely disengage the clutch.

- Eric
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:15 PM

Oh my........looks like Eric just pulled ahead of you Run......and I was just starting to write out that check. Hate that!

later,
bob
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

AND, if you wanted to put in a stop, but retain the same travel, and didn't mind the clutch pedal sitting higher than the brake, you could pull the clutch pedal off the pivot, drill through the pedal arm itself (clutch rod attaches to a tab welded to the arm), attach the rod directly to the arm, and it will sit about an inch higher, and away from the firewall.

- Eric
Old October 20th, 2010, 08:43 PM

Ok....so I'm making that check out to E-R-I-C......
Seriously, it just surprises me that if this problem occured with all the 4-speed A-bodies you'd think GM would have fixed it by 1972. I'm sure lots of owners would have complained....no? Or maybe nobody ever looked at their plastic carpet protector. Just seems funny this type of quality issue existed back in the day when GM was on top of their quality game.

Eric.....I'm not into modifying my cars. I'm one of those "keep it stock" nuts......but I do appreciate the suggestion. I've probably got one or two spare protectors out in the shed.....it's just that crap like this drives us "**** retentive" types nuts. )

Have a good one,
bob
Old October 21st, 2010, 03:09 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I stopped putting my spare ones on - they kept cracking.

I replaced a couple over the years, and at first wasn't sure whether I had replaced it, or just THOUGHT I'd replaced it, then realized what was happening.

Just remember, "Continuous Quality Improvement" were not words in GM's vocabulary in the '70's (or even in the '90's).

[If you're interested, there's an interesting radio broadcast about the subject of GM quality.
Here's a pay link and a free link - let your conscience be your guide.]

- Eric
Old October 21st, 2010, 03:10 AM

Most of us with four speeds and long legs just naturally sit in the back...and its more comfortable too...haven't broken a carpet protector yet...
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:54 PM

I'll have to check mine
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:59 PM

Well....I gotta say I'm a bit relieved I'm not the only guy cracking his carpet protector. )

Driving from the back seat...........hadn't thought of that. Who ever said Oldsmobile guys weren't innovative???

thanks,
bob
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:05 PM

I've had five '72 4 speed Cutlass/442s - all of them had cracked protectors when I bought them. Nobody probably even noticed this issue to complain about it until years later when the first "restorations" and carpet replacements were needed on these cars. You're not alone.
Terry
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:08 PM

Sweeeeeeet! Although knowing your NOT crazy is a bit depressing. )

later,
bob
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:03 AM

I assume this mounts similar to the AT version. If I am envisioning it correctly......
See if you can provide some support for the plastic piece from behind to limit the flexing. Cut away any carpet or jute from right behind the pedal area and glue in some small stacked up blocks of wood or so to get just the right height. Avoid gorilla-type pedal pushing after then.

The plastic becomes brittle with age. They probably all started cracking after 10 years or so. Plastic is not designed to last 40 years in car-type environments and they are probably lasting longer than i would have expected.

The other day i filled a 20 year old 5 gallon bucket half full of dirt. Upon picking it up witht he handle, the bucket broke cleanly in half before it got off the ground. when trying to lift it from the bottom edges, the bottom fell out.
So now the bucket has been tilled in with the dirt...
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:55 AM

Another suggestion. These are not to difficult to replace. So, keep one for driving (crack and all) and the other one for car shows. It's a bit of a PITA but you can have your cake and eat it too.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:00 AM

Mine is busted too. I just "rearrange" it from time-to-time.

Good idea - ordering a new one to have for times when the car might be displayed.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:34 AM

Yes...I've got a cracked one also.Now, has anyone had to replace the clutch pedal assembly due to over agressive clutch engagement practices. [Now that I have matured,I'll try not to have to replace any clutch parts.]

Last edited by Bunser; October 22nd, 2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: sp
Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:54 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Bunser
... has anyone had to replace the clutch pedal assembly due to over agressive clutch engagement practices?
I didn't replace it, but when I got my Chevelle, the tab that connects to the linkage off the back of the pedal arm was broken clean off. Had to weld it back on. It's held for 30 years.

- Eric
Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:28 AM

Put the seat back a little further, even if you've gotta move the tracks!!
Probably keep you outa the gas, too! [haha]
I'd think you could weld-in an adjustable stop around the crossbar, somewhere, if it's that important!
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I assume this mounts similar to the AT version. If I am envisioning it correctly......
See if you can provide some support for the plastic piece from behind to limit the flexing. Cut away any carpet or jute from right behind the pedal area and glue in some small stacked up blocks of wood or so to get just the right height. Avoid gorilla-type pedal pushing after then.

The plastic becomes brittle with age. They probably all started cracking after 10 years or so. Plastic is not designed to last 40 years in car-type environments and they are probably lasting longer than i would have expected.

The other day i filled a 20 year old 5 gallon bucket half full of dirt. Upon picking it up witht he handle, the bucket broke cleanly in half before it got off the ground. when trying to lift it from the bottom edges, the bottom fell out.
So now the bucket has been tilled in with the dirt...
Are you telling us that you are refusing to restore that beautiful bucket??
Old October 23rd, 2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Are you telling us that you are refusing to restore that beautiful bucket??
Uh, no...

It was pretty snasty looking to begin with - kinda glad its gone now.
Old October 26th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Just find yourself some HIPS or PP the same color and stitch over or put in place of the cheap plastic. The stuff they use is not rated for impact values it's going to see, especially if it sees low temperatures. This way it looks original and you have a plastic that works. Just a thought, but you would have to custom order the plastic sheet, but it's doable to be sure.

I'll take the equivalent in olds parts if you have them, preferrably mid-60's???

Last edited by dmcianfa; October 26th, 2010 at 01:31 PM.