Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

Aftermarket Wheels for 63 Starfire

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2014, 08:55 AM

Aftermarket Wheels for 63 Starfire

I'm thinking about adding some period look custom wheels to my Starfire, like Cragar SS's or American Racing 200S. Probably 15" by 7" all the way around, I will reuse the BFG T/A's I currently have but lose the white letters. Is my current bolt pattern 5" by 5 or 4 1/2" by 5? Has anyone else done this, are there any issues with clearance or offset choice?

And my main concern, are the correct exposed nuts available to fit the left hand threads on the left side of the car?

Any help will be appreciated.
Old October 25th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Don R.
I'm thinking about adding some period look custom wheels to my Starfire, like Cragar SS's or American Racing 200S. Probably 15" by 7" all the way around, I will reuse the BFG T/A's I currently have but lose the white letters. Is my current bolt pattern 5" by 5 or 4 1/2" by 5? Has anyone else done this, are there any issues with clearance or offset choice?

And my main concern, are the correct exposed nuts available to fit the left hand threads on the left side of the car?

Any help will be appreciated.
Your car's bolt pattern is 5 x 5". You will want wheels with close to zero offset (backspacing is dependent on wheel width, whereas offset is independent of wheel width). And yes, you can get the LH thread lugs anywhere. The wheels you get will dictate the style. Your wheel studs are 1/2-20. Here is the first one that popped up in a Google search:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-27727-4/overview/
Old October 26th, 2014, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Your car's bolt pattern is 5 x 5". You will want wheels with close to zero offset (backspacing is dependent on wheel width, whereas offset is independent of wheel width). And yes, you can get the LH thread lugs anywhere. The wheels you get will dictate the style. Your wheel studs are 1/2-20. Here is the first one that popped up in a Google search:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-27727-4/overview/

Thanks Joe, that helps. Looking at those lugs for the Cragar SS wheels with the multiple size lug slots and washers, does anyone have feedback on that design? I've always loved the original chrome SS style but have never actually owned a set and have heard about issues with the lugs and with corrosion problems. Any comments?
Old October 26th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Oldsdruid

http://www.radirwheels.com/wheels.htm

If I were going to put a/m wheels on my 64s, Radirs would be my choice. No they're not cheap, but they are the best 60s vibe I know of.

Unless of course you could find some Kelsey Hayes MagStars...
Old October 26th, 2014, 10:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Don R.
Thanks Joe, that helps. Looking at those lugs for the Cragar SS wheels with the multiple size lug slots and washers, does anyone have feedback on that design? I've always loved the original chrome SS style but have never actually owned a set and have heard about issues with the lugs and with corrosion problems. Any comments?
Well, all I can say is that I've never had a set of chrome lug nuts that didn't rust eventually. I've bought cheap, I've bought expensive, and on all of them the chrome starts to crack in the corners and rust starts. I take care not to use an impact wrench, though I have not tried the plastic-lined sockets. This is why GM used lugs with stainless steel outer caps.
Old October 27th, 2014, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Well, all I can say is that I've never had a set of chrome lug nuts that didn't rust eventually. I've bought cheap, I've bought expensive, and on all of them the chrome starts to crack in the corners and rust starts. I take care not to use an impact wrench, though I have not tried the plastic-lined sockets. This is why GM used lugs with stainless steel outer caps.

Very true. My car stays dry most of the time so probably not a major problem...I may look for those plastic lined sockets though, sounds like a good idea.

My question actually was aimed more at the Cragar SS wheels themselves rather than the lug nuts. In the old days I remember they had major problems with the rims rusting and the centers pitting but that was in winter-salty Illinois - anyone have those problems in dry climates?
Old October 27th, 2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
http://www.radirwheels.com/wheels.htm

If I were going to put a/m wheels on my 64s, Radirs would be my choice. No they're not cheap, but they are the best 60s vibe I know of.

Unless of course you could find some Kelsey Hayes MagStars...

I forgot about the Radirs, they are expensive! But on the list...

I had KH Magstars on my first car, a 55 Ford. Only on the front, with chrome slots on the back - I bought the whole set from a buddy who had them on a Mustang. Liked them so much they moved to my next car, a 64 Galaxie!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0004.jpg (108.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG.jpg (94.6 KB, 15 views)