Wheels and Tires Sponsored by Tire Rack
Click Here

SSII reproduction center cap emblems

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2017, 09:29 AM

SSII reproduction center cap emblems

Just goes to show you how things vary in our hobby. I accidentally ordered two sets of emblems for old center caps I am restoring. Figure $20 on emblems for caps that are starting to look decent would be worth it. In the end $49 for a complete reproduction center cap might be a smart way of doing it. But for a driver $20 plus elbow grease for a set is better than $179 plus shipping.

Anyway, below is an image of the two versions I received. Left from PP the right from Inline. The right one matches my NOS in the box but I'm not sure which is correct. Anyone know for sure. The right one has texture and is much thicker. From even 5 feet away no one would know the difference but for the same price, might as well get the one closest to original. To be sure I have seen incorrect items listed/reproduced from all vendors. This is just an FYI

Old February 16th, 2017, 09:32 AM

center cap before

and after

Old February 17th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Gary

Good work on those caps. I too have begun to work on mine. I do believe that the emblem on the right is the correct one with the ribs. See the last picture and it has the ribs in it also.

Old February 17th, 2017, 11:57 AM

interestingly, yours looks like a mixture of the background on the right and the rocket and thrust flame of the one on the left.
Old February 17th, 2017, 01:58 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by stevengerard
interestingly, yours looks like a mixture of the background on the right and the rocket and thrust flame of the one on the left.
That is very interesting. Here is a copy of the emblem Thornton is selling which in my opinion looks like the emblem on the right you have.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olds-SSII-RO...-/381662920903

Now I took a picture of another one of my center caps. The rocket in oval and the thrust appears to be a little flatter.

I do have reproduction emblem I bought about 8 years ago because I was going to use the SSII on my 72. It looks like the one you have on the left. The rocket and the thrust are both flat.

I never would have not known a difference had you not pointed that out. I think I will get the set from Thornton because they look more correct. I am going to work on the caps a bit more and see if I can be satisfied with how they look, otherwise I will just buy the full set from Thornton which includes the emblem for 150.00. But I want to try to restore them first.
Old February 17th, 2017, 05:16 PM

I am not near my car or parts. This is kind of interesting! It looks like Thornton sells two center decals, 1 for SSI and one for SSII. One ribbed, and one not.
Old February 17th, 2017, 05:31 PM

The one on the right is closest to original. This is something that is a very unknown detail and till about 3 years ago there was none out there even close to correct. If you have an NOS cap with this decal then you have a very early NOS cap and worth big money. I know of a set of early NOS caps with the early decals sell for over $1K but that was before the correct decal was being made. These little details do not affect the very high end cars when they cross the auction block and it is sad for the people that know this stuff and have correct cars that sell for the same amount. 99% of all the judges don't even know his stuff.

Edit: The one on the right looks closest to correct installed. It is thicker than the original but also sticks better than the original.

Last edited by jensenracing77; February 17th, 2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old February 17th, 2017, 05:41 PM

This is the closest to original I have ever found. It is VERY close. I do not know who he gets them from but this is what Ron Memmer carries and I used them on my NOS caps that are on my W-30.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP1722.JPG (2.77 MB, 91 views)
Old February 17th, 2017, 05:44 PM

X2 The one on the right...and before you stick the emblem on, put the cap on the wheel and then place the emblem on, with the rocket pointing at the valve stem. Looks better at a show!
Old February 17th, 2017, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
I am not near my car or parts. This is kind of interesting! It looks like Thornton sells two center decals, 1 for SSI and one for SSII. One ribbed, and one not.
The SSI emblem is a smaller diameter.
Old February 17th, 2017, 05:52 PM

with the tip of the rocket or the bottom of the thrust flame? Here is an image of the first rim I've finished refurbishing.

Old February 17th, 2017, 05:53 PM

Here is an NOS centercap I bought probably 20 years ago at a Olds dealer
Old February 17th, 2017, 06:01 PM

Your choice...I put the rocket tip pointing at the valve stem.
Old February 17th, 2017, 06:03 PM

The wheel and cap look great but I am drooling over the NOS cap! Other than the set of 4 that sold that is the only one I even seen. The guy that bought the set of 4 would probably love to have that one for his spare tire.
Old February 17th, 2017, 08:35 PM

Thanks Eric, they came out better than I thought and will work perfect on the new Cutlass especially as it will be a driver.

I have three more NOS caps, all for the W30 convertible, One day I'll put them on - Maybe.
Old February 20th, 2017, 04:59 PM

So now that you have your emblem on straight, you will probably want to mount your tires on the rim with the valve stem at the midway point of the mfrs. name, for example BF GOODRICH. Point the valve stem at the middle of the two 'O's. Sorry I forgot to mention this last week.
Old February 20th, 2017, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
So now that you have your emblem on straight, you will probably want to mount your tires on the rim with the valve stem at the midway point of the mfrs. name, for example BF GOODRICH. Point the valve stem at the middle of the two 'O's. Sorry I forgot to mention this last week.
OCD maybe
Old February 20th, 2017, 06:24 PM

Seeing as this thread came back up....I bought 5 NOS GM caps in sealed boxes for my car over 20 years ago. The emblems don't have the ridges. I've got originals here buried someplace to check. I know they are painted where the lugs go. Now I see these "exact" repros aren't painted there. I'm well aware over the counter NOS parts can be different. I've got to dig out my old original caps to check, but I'm pretty sure they were painted there. Does anybody no absolutely for sure they were or were not painted there?
Old February 20th, 2017, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by mrolds69
Seeing as this thread came back up....I bought 5 NOS GM caps in sealed boxes for my car over 20 years ago. The emblems don't have the ridges. I've got originals here buried someplace to check. I know they are painted where the lugs go. Now I see these "exact" repros aren't painted there. I'm well aware over the counter NOS parts can be different. I've got to dig out my old original caps to check, but I'm pretty sure they were painted there. Does anybody no absolutely for sure they were or were not painted there?
They were painted
Old February 21st, 2017, 07:01 AM

Thanks...yeah...that's what I thought. Thanks for the response.
Old February 21st, 2017, 07:36 AM

my NOS caps are painted as well. Just like my 2nd post in the this thread. I'm guessing Krylon dull aluminum would be a perfect match. I uses a little more of a brighter silver planning on a driver being dustier.
Old February 24th, 2017, 11:31 AM
Lance

FWIW, I believe the more correct embossed style decals are made by Mark Cornea.

http://www.drdecal.com/product/179-1...-stock-ii-iii/
Old February 24th, 2017, 12:13 PM

Does that have the lines in the red? I can't tell from my work computer. I know for sure the originals had it.
Old February 27th, 2017, 12:25 PM
Lance

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Does that have the lines in the red? I can't tell from my work computer. I know for sure the originals had it.
Eric,

The photo does show "embossed" lines in the red area.
Old September 15th, 2022, 12:09 PM

I know I’m late to the conversation, but can you tell me how to get the original decal off to use these replacements?